Flightseeing to Arctic & McKinley

TV Dad

I may be cruising out of Anchorage this August and will NOT have to opportunity to drive to Fairbanks or Denali.

However, I have several days pre-cruise, in Anchorage. I would like to see Mt. McKinley/ Denali and set foot in the Arctic Circle.

Does anyone know of one flightseeing trip that covers both Mt. McKinley and the Arctic Circle out of Anchorage.

If not -- I'd appreciate individual suggestions for tours from Anchorage to Mt. McKinley and from Anchorage to the Arctic Circle. If you also have websites, for the tour companies, that would be a bonus!

Thanks, in advance.:)

We did a great trip to Wiseman AK above the Arctic Circle out of Fairbanks using Arctic Circle Air - however I believe you can arrange it from Anchorage... I know the Barrow trip can be done that way... because I was looking at it earlier.

go to: http://www.northernalaska.com/air.cfm (northernalaska dot com)

Barrow Adventure - One Day Tour

A One Day Or Overnight Guided Journey By Air To The Farthest North Eskimo Village.

Tour Summary:

• Fly north across the Arctic Circle to the ancient Inupiat Eskimo village of Barrow.
  • Receive an official Arctic Circle Certificate.
  • Discover firsthand the lifestyles of Alaska's Arctic Coastal peoples with a tour of the village.
  • Meet the Inupiat Eskimo people while enjoying a cultural program presented by volunteers sharing their culture with visitors (program may feature ceremonial song and dance, traditional games, and demonstration of local native crafts).
  • Walk the shores of the Arctic Ocean near the northernmost point on the North American Continent. Bravely dip your toe in the frigid waters of the Arctic Ocean.
  • Depart Barrow on an evening return flight to Fairbanks.(Departure and/or return flights can be arranged from/to Anchorage for an additional fee.)

• 7:36 am Depart Fairbanks (6:00 am depart Anchroage) / 10:21 am arrive Barrow - AS 55
  • 8:01 pm Depart Barrow by air 9:21 pm arrive Fairbanks (11:10 pm arrive Anchorage) - AS 52
  • Flight times are subject to change - we ask guest to call 1-2 days prior to departure to reconfirm times.

• Tour Schedule: Tours operate daily from May 15 to September 15, 2012. (Travel must be completed by September 15.)
  • 2012 Starting at Rates: Rates begin at $719.00 / person and subject to change. (From Fairbanks) Rates can and do vary depending on requested date of travel, routing and available categories of seat rates.

(Add $125 per person per direction to start OR finish in Anchorage)

(Add $250 per person to start AND finish in Anchorage)

In theory you could arrange your own ANC-FAI roundtrip as long as you allowed time for delays.

Our McKinley summit flight was from Talkeetna... all in one day would be alot of flight seeing - sounds like a charter to me... might check with Rusts or Regal air.

I'm sure others who know much more about AK will post as well...

Good Luck - we loved both!

Rusts offers flightseeing over Denali from Anchorage. You may find others if you google, altho I doubt they will include the Arctic as well.

When you say 'arctic circle' I assume you mean the signpost, not one of the villages in the Far North like Barrow or Prudhoe Bay.

http://www.flyrusts.com/alaska-flightseeing.html

I don't know of 'tours' that go to Denali but you can easily take the train from Anchorage ( Alaska Railroad has one trip daily) or the Park Connection bus leaves twice daily.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

To travel the Park road within Denali you either take a tour bus or shuttle bus, both by Aramark.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

I don't know of 'tours' that go to Denali but you can easily take the train from Anchorage ( Alaska Railroad has one trip daily) or the Park Connection bus leaves twice daily.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

http://www.alaskacoach.com/

To travel the Park road within Denali you either take a tour bus or shuttle bus, both by Aramark.

http://www.reservedenali.com/

Talkeetna Aero, has Denali Park day trips., out of Talkeetna.

You need to determine what you want for the Arctic??? IF you only are going as far as Anchorage, then see what you can arrange with Rust's. You don't mention any budget- but you can just about charter anything you want. May be able to pick up other passengers via your message board.

As TVDad has not returned, no idea if he is reading his answers.

With enough money in Alaska you can do about anything. He posted that he doesn't want to go further north than Anchorage other than to get his feet above the Arctic Circle.

I think that means a private charter with a bush pilot.

Of course it will still be weather dependent.

As TVDad has not returned, no idea if he is reading his answers.

With enough money in Alaska you can do about anything. He posted that he doesn't want to go further north than Anchorage other than to get his feet above the Arctic Circle.

I think that means a private charter with a bush pilot.

Of course it will still be weather dependent.

PENNY -- I am reading my answers. However, Only a couple of times a day. :)

I have not found a trip that includes both McKinley and the Arctic Circle from Anchorage. I am assuming there is not enough time in the day to get to both places.

I have found individual flightseeing tours to both locations from Anchorage.

Anyone have experience with flightseeing to either location? I'd appreciate input.

Again -- I will not have time to take the train, bus, car, bicycle to Mt. McKinley. . . Just flightseeing.

The same goes for the Arctic Circle.

Thanks again guys!

I have not found a trip that includes both McKinley and the Arctic Circle from Anchorage. I am assuming there is not enough time in the day to get to both places.

When you say Arctic Circle do you mean the signpost placed at that parallel ? or one of the northern villages?

PENNY -- I am reading my answers. However, Only a couple of times a day. :)

I have found individual flightseeing tours to both locations from Anchorage.

Anyone have experience with flightseeing to either location? I'd appreciate input.

Again -- I will not have time to take the train, bus, car, bicycle to Mt. McKinley. . . Just flightseeing.

The same goes for the Arctic Circle.

Thanks again guys!

I have done multiple flights to both. As mentioned, with your limited time, I would look at a charter, and combining both. Since I am assuming you are also short on time??

I have done multiple flights to both. As mentioned, with your limited time, I would look at a charter, and combining both. Since I am assuming you are also short on time??

I have two days, so I can manage a flight to both locations. Rusts and Regal Air seem to be the most often named companies for flightseeing to McKinley/Denali. Which of these do you recommend. Both offer a 3 hour tour for the same price ($385)!

As for the Arctic Circle, it appears my best route will be a commercial jet from Anchorage to either Kotzebue, Barrow or Nome. Nome is south of the circle, but the flight there makes a stop in Kotzebue, so technically I will have been there.:rolleyes:

Hence, the question. . . which Arctic city do you reommend for a day trip: Barrow, Kotzebue or "Nome?"

I have two days, so I can manage a flight to both locations. Rusts and Regal Air seem to be the most often named companies for flightseeing to McKinley/Denali. Which of these do you recommend. Both offer a 3 hour tour for the same price ($385)!

As for the Arctic Circle, it appears my best route will be a commercial jet from Anchorage to either Kotzebue, Barrow or Nome. Nome is south of the circle, but the flight there makes a stop in Kotzebue, so technically I will have been there.:rolleyes:

Hence, the question. . . which Arctic city do you reommend for a day trip: Barrow, Kotzebue or "Nome?"

I have only flown with Rusts. Certainly, I recommend them.

I have never been to Nome or Kotzebue, and definately would never do or recommend Barrow as a day trip. (I spent 3 days) It also is a big difference with flying commercial vs sightseeing. I flew commercially on a smaller airline last year between Fairbanks and Anchorage, and experienced more "sightseeing" compared to using a different airline, prior.

Be very aware that weather is a huge issue in Alaska flying. You have a cruise to catch. It is not a good idea to fly so far from Anchorage (Barrow etc) with the idea of doing a same day return with no buffer time in case the commercial flights are delayed or cancelled.

A round trip on, say, Rusts, is a safer bet because if the weather is likely to close in up north, they won't take off in the first place or they will offer you an alternate flight plan.

I can't tell you how many times waited and waited to get a flight out of one Alaska place or another or have waited and worried as family members were out there stuck.

I'm surprise why not Barrow in one day if that's all you have? Because honestly we'll never stay overnight - so if we see the town at all it'll be a one day event. That is what I was going to do this July except I won't get into ANC in time for the 6am flight to Fairbanks.

I take it you don't want to stay a night in Fairbanks but want to return to ANC in between? Otherwise I'd fly straight to Fairbanks, pick up any one of the trips that interest you. Get up the next day, fly back. Pick up Rust's. We did Fairbanks and Arctic Circle Air/Wiseman, overnighted at Pikes, flew to ANC next day and met up with Rusts for Redoubt Bay Bear watching THEN flew back to Atlanta at 1am (delayed flight - we did this because we were notified that all flighs were being delayed, some cancelled because of weather coming in and we fly as pass riders. ANC can be dicey for that so you always take a seat when you can). Never actually spent the night in the hotel we were in - just paid for 1/2 day there plus our room service and left at 10pm.

Anyway I am enquiring about a charter to Talkeetna because I want a glacier landing rather than Rust's trip as a fly around because we've done the summit flight in 2004. We want to take the dome train back to ANC at 4:55pm. I'll post what I find out - car really makes more sense but we want to do the train.

PennyAgain brings up a good point. If you don't do a one day charter, I'd probably do the Arctic the 1st day as a buffer however that said, I would doubt any tour would leave the ground if there is a chance of not completing them (baring the unforeseen). Doesn't mean you couldn't get stuck in Fairbanks as a devert.

Rusts and Regal Air seem to be the most often named companies for flightseeing to McKinley/Denali. Which of these do you recommend.

Regal Air has been noted to cancel flights, including one of mine, purely for economic reasons. Never again. I was not the only one. They are not a reputable company IMHO.

I'm surprise why not Barrow in one day if that's all you have? Because honestly we'll never stay overnight - so if we see the town at all it'll be a one day event. That is what I was going to do this July except I won't get into ANC in time for the 6am flight to Fairbanks.

I take it you don't want to stay a night in Fairbanks but want to return to ANC in between? Otherwise I'd fly straight to Fairbanks, pick up any one of the trips that interest you. Get up the next day, fly back. Pick up Rust's. We did Fairbanks and Arctic Circle Air/Wiseman, overnighted at Pikes, flew to ANC next day and met up with Rusts for Redoubt Bay Bear watching THEN flew back to Atlanta at 1am (delayed flight - we did this because we were notified that all flighs were being delayed, some cancelled because of weather coming in and we fly as pass riders. ANC can be dicey for that so you always take a seat when you can). Never actually spent the night in the hotel we were in - just paid for 1/2 day there plus our room service and left at 10pm.

Anyway I am enquiring about a charter to Talkeetna because I want a glacier landing rather than Rust's trip as a fly around because we've done the summit flight in 2004. We want to take the dome train back to ANC at 4:55pm. I'll post what I find out - car really makes more sense but we want to do the train.

You haven't been to Barrow, and with you being a "pass rider", which I am assuming nonrev?? the significant lack of time may be a good compromise. Being that far north- it's well worth the overnight for the midnight sun. Time is important if you want to take advantage of being there, plenty to see and do, which is not seen anywhere else.

I know the Barrow trip can be done that way... because I was looking at it earlier.

go to: http://www.northernalaska.com/air.cfm (northernalaska dot com)

Barrow Adventure - One Day Tour

A One Day Or Overnight Guided Journey By Air To The Farthest North Eskimo Village.

Tour Summary:

• Fly north across the Arctic Circle to the ancient Inupiat Eskimo village of Barrow.
  • Receive an official Arctic Circle Certificate.
  • Discover firsthand the lifestyles of Alaska's Arctic Coastal peoples with a tour of the village.
  • Meet the Inupiat Eskimo people while enjoying a cultural program presented by volunteers sharing their culture with visitors (program may feature ceremonial song and dance, traditional games, and demonstration of local native crafts).
  • Walk the shores of the Arctic Ocean near the northernmost point on the North American Continent. Bravely dip your toe in the frigid waters of the Arctic Ocean.
  • Depart Barrow on an evening return flight to Fairbanks.(Departure and/or return flights can be arranged from/to Anchorage for an additional fee.)

• 7:36 am Depart Fairbanks (6:00 am depart Anchroage) / 10:21 am arrive Barrow - AS 55
  • 8:01 pm Depart Barrow by air 9:21 pm arrive Fairbanks (11:10 pm arrive Anchorage) - AS 52

It really depends on one's priorities and time constraints. I took a day trip to Barrow last year on my own and did all of the above and more in that 10 hours. Got to Point Barrow and did other things as well. For me, the day trip was a perfect amount of time. But then I was moving pretty constantly. Plus, my price was WAY WAY less than the day trip price you quoted.

• 1 month later...

I ended up changing my plans, so I start my cruise in Fairbanks instead of Anchorage. It really was too difficult to get to the Arctic from Anchorage.

Archived