New cruiser, shoud I book air w/carnival?

JustJamie0418

Do I need to book airfare from columbus to miami WITH carnival or can I go through something such as orbitz/expedia/etc? I am not sure how we would get to the port, after we arrived to the airport (carnival offered a service for that under 100 dollars)

help. I am a complete newbie at travel. :o

No, you don't need to book your air with Carnival. You can do as well, if not better on your own, as you will be in control of all aspects. Carnival will get you there as cheaply as possible, and it might be convinent for you.

DON'T fly in the day of your cruise. See some of Miami, it is a fun place. If you HAVE to fly in the day of your cruise, get the earliest possible flight, preferably a non-stop. Book an appropriate departing flight- after 11am, for example.

DON'T take Carnival's ground transport. Just walk out of the terminal, grab a cab, and the cost will be $25, before tip. This applies to both directions- airport to ship, and ship to airport.

Read the MANY MANY comments on this board about why not to book cruise line air.

For tons of Carnival info, the Carnival board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

We booked ours separately, but we're also flying in the day before. The only time we used Carnival to book our airfare was the first cruise we went on and we took a chance and flew in on our sail day (and was left at the airport for hours because the ship was late getting into port).

I'm purely guessing but I'd wager there aren't many direct flight from Columbus (CMH) to Miami (MIA) so pay close attention to connections. Look at flights from Dayton (DAY) or Detroit (DTW) too. I know that involves some driving but there are more direct flights from DTW to MIA and Ft. Lauderdale (FLL.)

Make sure that the airline has daily service. Some of the low cost carriers from secondary markets do not fly each route daily. No reflection on your state capitol but air traffic in CMH doesn't hold a candle to DTW.

Flights to FLL may or may not be more expensive. The drive from FLL to the POM is about 45 minutes and there are shuttle services available for a nominal fee. You will find recommendations on Trip Advisor and here on Cruise Critic in the East Coast boards.

If you decide on FLL do not book your return flight earlier than 12:30 to 1.

You must allow more than ample time to reach the ship no later than 90 minutes before sailing. This is a requirement of the cruise line in compliance with Homeland Security.

You can board the ship as early as 11 -11:30 so that should give you the embarkation parameters.

If you have questions about booking your air through Carnival please look at the Sticky on Cruise Air. It's an eye opener.

JustJamie,

I would not book any air travel with Carnival. They are really bad about booking you on flights that arrive the day of the cruise and one's that arrive with just minutes to spare at that. I would not want that stress especially being a new cruiser.

You can book a flt on SW airlines from Columbus to Ft Lauderdale. For some, flying into FLL is cheaper than Miami. SW has a flight that lands in Tampa to pick up other passengers but you do not have to change planes. It is just a layover. You then take off for FLL. They have the same flight on your return back to Columbus. It's not exactly a direct flght buy you would not have to change planes. They also have a few other flight options each day depending on what time you want to leave. Also check AirTran as well.

If you could swing it and fly in the day or evening before the cruise, there are many resonably priced hotels in Ft Lauderdale. The Sleep Inn & Suites is a newer hotel with good reviews. It has a free airport shuttle and is located next door to a Walgreens and across the street from a Publix grocery and a few restaurants. This makes it nice for picking up last minute items and having dinner without having to take a taxi.

The hotel also offers a free breakfast the next morning. Here is their link if you want to check rates or see any photos of the hotel

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-dania-florida-FL664

There is also a Best Western near the FLL airport that offers really good rates but I am not sure of shopping and restaurants. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/FL/Dania-Beach-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-Fort-Lauderdale-Airport-South-Inn---Suites/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=10370

On the morning of your cruise, you could take a shuttle to the port in Miami. SAS shuttle service is $13 pp each way for 3 or more passengers or $15pp for 2 or less. Quality Shuttle Service has had some good reviews as well. You could then use the same shuttle service for the ride back to FLL airport after the cruise or use the Carnival shuttle.

Good luck you you and have a great cruise.

:)

Archived