Ship's Bell?

sail7seas

I got a phone call telling me Concorida's bell has been stolen from the bow. Is this true? I haven't been able to verify it and I am sick to my stomach at the thought someone would do that.

That ship is a tomb..... there are still some bodies that have not been recovered yet. :mad:

There has to be some horrid punishment for someone who would do that...... if it is true.

Thaks for the verification and for the link, Seago.

I feared it was true and it makes me sick.

I also hated the article said they 'didn't care' the bell was missing.

They SHOULD care !!!

IMO

I keep thinking of the Noordam ship's bell that Captain Scott baptized a baby in. It was then engraved with the baby's name. I think this was in Greg (RevNeal)'s posts/blog somewhere. The ship's bell is quite significant to me, too.

IMO stealing the bell and other items from a ship when there are bodies still there is like robbing a grave. I am shocked that there wasn't more security at the scene. Surely some underwater security cameras could have been placed around the ship to prevent something like this from happening. I hope that Karma catches up with these human maggots that did this. BTW, I am also appalled at what is happening with the Titanic, which is grave robbing for profit.

Yes, Greg was officating minister at the baptism. I received some photos of it. :)

It was a lovely cerermony and beautiful thing to do. :)

It certainly touched me. I brought it up to Captain Henk Keijer last week (was it only a week ago? Why does it seem like a year?) and he said he had never done one. The ship's bell is certainly significant and this is just appalling. It's sad to know that there is a market for this. I agree 100% with what the poster below said about Titanic artifacts as well.

My guess is that the bell was taken by the recovery divers.

I don't see anything sacred in a ship's bell, especially a bell from a ship piloted in such a reckless manner. Get the fuel off the ship, cut the ship into small pieces, and get it off the coast of Italy.

That ship is a tomb..... there are still some bodies that have not been recovered yet. :mad:

B]

It may be a tomb for now, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Get it off our island is the main idea here. These bodies were given up as lost weeks ago, and now the only priority is to get the ship drained, and most likely cut up. If remains are found, they'll be bagged and sent to be identified. This wreck site will not be set up as a memorial to the stupidity of the Captain who caused the death of his passengers.:mad:

Interesting how we all view it so differently.

I can't imagine anyone disagrees about getting the remaining bodies recovered, fuel drained, the ship removed and the beautiful Italian coast protected but I view the theft of the bell as a terrible event. The whole Concordia episode is a terrible event to be sure.

JMO.......

Interesting how we all view it so differently.

I can't imagine anyone disagrees about getting the remaining bodies recovered, fuel drained, the ship removed and the beautiful Italian coast protected but I view the theft of the bell as a terrible event. The whole Concordia episode is a terrible event to be sure.

JMO.......

The ship's bell was going to be used as part of the memorial to those whose lives were lost. so, yes, I think it's sad. It was definitely stolen by the news reports I have seen:(

Richard, your absolutely right, maybe I'd be one of them if the wreck was in the Caribbean.

If there was some sort of memorial planned, Costa should have had the bell removed sometime around the time those pictures with the divers were taken. As a wreck diver, waving the picture of that bell is like saying come get me, come get me to every wreck diver in Italy.

Its like Robert Ballard, the guy that found the Titanic. He never filed salvage rights of ownership, nor did he give away the GPS coordinates. Yet, his French partner became a salvor, and began a business of salvaging that wreck. Now you can buy an artifact from the Titanic and put it on your fireplace mantel at home. I'm sure there will be a limited underground market for pieces of the Concordia as well.

The sort of good news is whomever got the Concordia bell more than likely won't be able to do much with it. My guess is that Costa, and hence CCL still owns the ship, and its contents, including the bell. Basically the divers robbed the cruise line, making it a criminal case.

I am flabbergasted that someone stole that bell. I can't even fathom it. As I watch the ships sail from Lauderdale, I'm always looking for the bells on the bow.

Me, too, Carol.

Archived