alcatraz tour

As everyone has said there is definitely a fair amount of walking. I just wanted to add that if you are interested you should book your tickets way in advance as they are sold out pretty quickly. Also, I highly recommend doing the night tour. Not only does it add a level of creepiness to the tour, but the view of the city on the way home is really really cool!

• 3 weeks later...
The last time I went the shuttle was handicapped only.

Yeah, I've only been there a couple times in the past 10 years, but that's what I recall as well.

It is a walking tour, but it's not particularly intensive. And you go at your own pace and can stay as long as you wish. (never down the evening one - maybe that's more structured?)

Yeah, I've only been there a couple times in the past 10 years, but that's what I recall as well.

It is a walking tour, but it's not particularly intensive. And you go at your own pace and can stay as long as you wish. (never down the evening one - maybe that's more structured?)

I agree. There's an audio tour which is really good -- it sort of walks you through the place.

A fair amount of walking, some of which is on a long steep incline to get inside. We were there last week. Definitely a must-do tour. I second the idea of securing tickets ahead of time. Try to get an early or late time slot. The mid-day time slots are very crowded.

To really do the tour right allow at least two to two and a half hours. The walk from the dock to the Prison is equivelant to walking up a 13 story building. Of course it is up graduated ramps. We did the Princess tour and they do not allow near enough time. Tickets in advance is a must !

To really do the tour right allow at least two to two and a half hours. The walk from the dock to the Prison is equivelant to walking up a 13 story building. Of course it is up graduated ramps. We did the Princess tour and they do not allow near enough time. Tickets in advance is a must !

13 stories? Really? Wow it didn't seem like that much in my mind....but yeah the one thing I remember clearly is buying tickets late or on the day of is quite a gamble as they sell out. Someone suggested getting earlier or later departures, and it's true those tend to be the last to sell, but as you said you should allow a couple of hours, so I wouldn't get later tickets. I had done that the last time I went, only had about an hour and a half till the last ferry back as I recall, and we could have spent way more time there.

Archived