Sandals?

DJC111

Oceania's cruise guide says that no sandals are permitted in all of the evening dining venues. Does that mean "flip flops", or can you wear dressier sandals with a slight heel? Most of my shoes are open toed sandal-ish shoes!

I'm afraid I will be wearing Crocs. My feet and legs are crippled and that is all I can walk in. So, stick by me, and anything you wear will be nicer.:cool: (That is, if you are on the same cruise. My brain has turned to mush.) No, really, You will be fine.

Karen

This conversation has been going on as long as I've been reading the Oceania board. Since I haven't been onboard, I can only guess, but I'm guessing they mean sandals for men. Ladies sandals are ubiquitous on cruises, and I'm sure not cruising without them. (I mean dressy sandals for dinner, of course.) I believe they have a dispensation of some kind for people with foot problems (lol)!

I am sure they mean Beach type sandals

I wear dressy sandals.. no problem

Crocs may be questioned..maybe a note from your doctor would help

I'm firmly convinced that if the rest of the outfit in every way meets the casually elegant standard, anyone official who notices that the diner is wearing quite utilitarian shoes will figure out that there's a medical reason for the choice of footwear. Anyone who goes to the effort of dressing smartly would ordinarily carry the look through from head to toe; therefore, an observer with an ounce of common sense ought to realize that comfort shoes are a medical and not a style choice.

Thanks, LHT28, but I'm sure I'll be fine. I don't believe they will deny a handicapped person dinner. I always wear long, long skirts to hide my crippled legs, so they shouldn't even notice my shoes. In my next life, I will be a shoe diva, a force to be reckoned with.;)

Karen

Thanks, LHT28, but I'm sure I'll be fine. I don't believe they will deny a handicapped person dinner. I always wear long, long skirts to hide my crippled legs, so they shouldn't even notice my shoes. In my next life, I will be a shoe diva, a force to be reckoned with.;)

Karen

You have great spirit and my admiration.

ps/have you seen some of the newer Croc styles?...Just for a variation, I bought some flats and they are soooooo comfortable. But, I spend many a day in my clog-style crocs....have them in 4 colors and my collection is growing.

I actually just purchased a very cute pair of crocs for the cruise. They are wonderful if you are going to be on your feet all day touring. They are black flat mary-janes and it would take a 2nd look to see that they are crocs.

crocsmaryjane.jpeg.11137156fc1f9fa5be3e270b2393a9de.jpeg

I actually just purchased a very cute pair of crocs for the cruise. They are wonderful if you are going to be on your feet all day touring. They are black flat mary-janes and it would take a 2nd look to see that they are crocs.

Now those crocs I would wear

I'm firmly convinced that if the rest of the outfit in every way meets the casually elegant standard, anyone official who notices that the diner is wearing quite utilitarian shoes will figure out that there's a medical reason for the choice of footwear.

Sorry but I do not believe Crocs would be considered in any way shape or form utilitarian no matter what you wear above them

They are comfortable & may help if you have problems with your feet but

medically approved :confused::rolleyes:

YMMV

Lyn

Sorry but I do not believe Crocs would be considered in any way shape or form utilitarian no matter what you wear above them

They are comfortable & may help if you have problems with your feet but

medically approved :confused::rolleyes:

YMMV

Lyn

To me Crocks will always look like rubber shower shoes no matter what the style...;)

Lyn, My other pair of shoes would be a wheelchair. I only have half a foot, and it's a miracle that I can walk in Crocs. I am so grateful they invented these ugly little shoes. I am not trying to push the fashion limits at all, or get away with anything. Believe me!

Karen

Lyn, My other pair of shoes would be a wheelchair. I only have half a foot, and it's a miracle that I can walk in Crocs. I am so grateful they invented these ugly little shoes. I am not trying to push the fashion limits at all, or get away with anything. Believe me!

Karen

I love your spirit, Karen. My sister cruises a LOT, and she is a double amputee. I would dare anyone to question her choice of shoes that she places on her prosthetics legs.

You just wear what you need to wear. I am sure you will look lovely and you will enjoy your time aboard any Oceania vessel immensely. :)

Karen

I am sure I never said anything about YOU pushing the fashion limits

I am glad they work for you

I am not saying you should not wear them if that is your only option

just maybe have a word with the hotel manager or the Maitre'd so you will not be put in an awkward position entering the dining rooms

The staff have rules to follow regarding the dress code

There are exceptions to the rules but there are people who like to push the rules (not saying you are one of them)

I have seen people turned away for wearing sneakers

I love your spirit, Karen. My sister cruises a LOT, and she is a double amputee. I would dare anyone to question her choice of shoes that she places on her prosthetics legs.

You just wear what you need to wear. I am sure you will look lovely and you will enjoy your time aboard any Oceania vessel immensely. :)

Amen! I love Karen's spirit and your sister's, too. I have advanced arthritis and I must wear very functional-looking specially-made Ecco flats (slip on) with orthopedic socks. On rare occasions I can struggle into ballet flats for FORMAL nights (one reason I like Oceania is because I can avoid this dilemma). My evening cruise casual attire includes nicely pressed pants and a few beautiful jackets and matching shells (many from the wonderful Coldwater Creek), as dresses would look ludicrous with my shoes. I have not been turned away so far at the GDR or the specialty restaurants.

I'm sure this thread will continue, with more opinions chiming in on how our choice of footwear (necessitated by medical issues) is dragging down the "class" on OCL. Get a doctor's note to wear footwear that accommodates a medical problem?? Are you kidding me??:(

Amen! I love Karen's spirit and your sister's, too. I have advanced arthritis and I must wear very functional-looking specially-made Ecco flats (slip on) with orthopedic socks. On rare occasions I can struggle into ballet flats for FORMAL nights (one reason I like Oceania is because I can avoid this dilemma). My evening cruise casual attire includes nicely pressed pants and a few beautiful jackets and matching shells (many from the wonderful Coldwater Creek), as dresses would look ludicrous with my shoes. I have not been turned away so far at the GDR or the specialty restaurants.

I'm sure this thread will continue, with more opinions chiming in on how our choice of footwear (necessitated by medical issues) is dragging down the "class" on OCL. Get a doctor's note to wear footwear that accommodates a medical problem?? Are you kidding me??:(

I've only been on two cruises...ever. But, I have to say that I felt so at ease on Oceania and can't imagine anyone putting someone on the spot with questions. The staff are professionals and treat the cruisers with a great deal of respect. I loved that.

p.s. Love Coldwater Creek! CC and Chicos are both perfect for O cruises.

I'm sure this thread will continue, with more opinions chiming in on how our choice of footwear (necessitated by medical issues) is dragging down the "class" on OCL. Get a doctor's note to wear footwear that accommodates a medical problem?? Are you kidding me??

I fondly remember when it was possible for a corporation to offer their clients more respect than to question their health problems.

Alas, in 2012, fully able people opt to sit in wheelchairs, in order to get put at the head of the line at Disney World.

Well people book Handicapped Cabins, simply because they are more spacious

And yes, people do sometimes play the medical necessity card just because they are more comfortable in a sandal.

I'm only grateful that the donning bluejeans cannot be mandated by prescription. ;)

On our cruise brochure (New Zealand edition) there is no mention of sandals, only tennis shoes. What is the cruise guide? Is this something I will be given later?

Maybe the sandal thing has been removed because of this confusion?

I fondly remember when it was possible for a corporation to offer their clients more respect than to question their health problems.

Alas, in 2012, fully able people opt to sit in wheelchairs, in order to get put at the head of the line at Disney World.

Well people book Handicapped Cabins, simply because they are more spacious

And yes, people do sometimes play the medical necessity card just because they are more comfortable in a sandal.

I'm only grateful that the donning bluejeans cannot be mandated by prescription. ;)

Ah, yes, the long-expected response. Remind me, Jimandstan, if I happen to sail with you in the future to bring a doctor's letter (I'll make sure it is notarized).

And, yes, for someone that has dealt with real disabilities I also dislike the folks who use it as a pretense to get special treatment. But who are you to judge?

On our cruise brochure (New Zealand edition) there is no mention of sandals, only tennis shoes. What is the cruise guide? Is this something I will be given later?

Maybe the sandal thing has been removed because of this confusion?

When you get what used to be called "Final Documents" at six to eight weeks out, it includes a lovely personalized brochure or "Cruise Guide", which describes the cabin that you've booked, the credits to your on-board account (if any), restaurant reservations, cooking classes and shore excursions that you might have booked in advance, and other details and hints.

The "sandal thing" was included by way of a hint as to what type of footwear one might wish to pack.

To phrase this sandal matter more succinctly, beach type sandals are not appropriate in the Grand Dining Room, for either ladies or gentlemen, at any time of day.

Dress sandals are not at issue.

Hope that this helped- :D

Ah, yes, the long-expected response. Remind me, Jimandstan, if I happen to sail with you in the future to bring a doctor's letter (I'll make sure it is notarized).

I'd be far more interested in a letter from your charm school- :p

I've only been on two cruises...ever. But, I have to say that I felt so at ease on Oceania and can't imagine anyone putting someone on the spot with questions. The staff are professionals and treat the cruisers with a great deal of respect. I loved that.

p.s. Love Coldwater Creek! CC and Chicos are both perfect for O cruises.

Chicos is also very nice! I feel like I look perfectly decent for any of the venues, with the great colors and patterns, in spite of my clunky shoes. I agree that the staff is very professional.

day and the evening. I do believe they mean rubber flip flops and probably sandals on men. No one ever looked at my feet!

Wouldn't it be great if they actually specified that? Sure women's open dressy shoes are nothing like a man's sandal!

Archived