Helicopter Medivac from Crown

Proudwings

Just got back from a great weeks vacation on Crown - looked for a thread on this but didn't see one.

An unfortunate passenger became ill on Friday and needed an emergency medical evacuation. The ship was enroute to Ft Lauderdale and turned round and was directed by The US coast guard to a position where we would be met by a coast guard helicopter. The are forward of the calypso pool was cleared (and we were told that cabins in the decks below this area were also cleared). After about 1-2 hours sailing we waited in position and the rescue helicopter arrived. After circling a few times the helicopter positioned above the neptune pool and a SAR technician descended by a line and later a stretcher was lowered. The helicopter then did a few more circles around the Crown before returning to bring up the passenger and later the SAR tech. Captain Proctor was very forthcoming throughout the event with updates on what was being done and what was expected to occur.

All in all it was a very unfortunate but professional emergency. I hope the passenger is doing well. I have some photos and if possible will upload them and a short video-link if I can find out how to do so.

As a result of the detour we were a little late arriving in FL today but the crew and port worked hard to get everyone off on they way as soon as was possible. Incidentally, we were to dock at pier 29 but because of the late arrival ended up at pier 2.

I was on teh Crown last May on the TA and we also had a medical evacuation but we just went to Bermuda where they put the person on a pilot boat. Very interesting to see and they did report back that the person got home safely

I was on board as well for this recent medical evacuation. I am still sorting through my pictures (and therefore don't have any to post yet), but the assistant cruise director did announce at one of the evening performances that the patient was doing well.

As was stated by the OP, the captain did a terrific job keeping everybody aboard apprised of the situation (we had a medical emergency and had to turn around, the helicopter is expected to arrive in 40 minutes, the helicopter is expected to arrive in 5 minutes, etc.). He also reminded everybody that although it was broad daylight no flash photography was allowed, and that while medical evacuations are not a regular occurrence, they do occur and will be executed in a safe manner (which was definitely the case here).

Other than a little grumbling (think of all those "poor people" who had to be removed from the Sanctuary for a couple of hours after paying to be up there), all of the passengers were very understanding and cooperated with the crew as portions of the upper decks and promenade were cleared for the evacuation.

I was on the Crown during the air-evac too. Great job by everyone involved. My heart was breaking for the family and patient. I've been teaching for over 20 years and once or twice we've had medical emergencies. We are about a mile from the fire station/paramedics and they always come immediately and fully staffed with fire engines and ambulances when a school is involved. Those three to five minutes you wait until you hear the siren are an eternity. I can't imagine waiting hours for the helicopter to arrive.

Thanks to all our men and women who have served are are serving who so professionally handle these emergencies. IMHO, this is tax dollars well spent.

I was on board as well for this recent medical evacuation. I am still sorting through my pictures (and therefore don't have any to post yet), but the assistant cruise director did announce at one of the evening performances that the patient was doing well.

I've been a little suspicious that it seems like every time one hears from the staff, the person is always doing well. I'm guessing that it's being said to make people on the ship feel better.

The few times that I have been on a ship with a medi-evac - the Captain has explicitly ordered us not to take pics. Not sure if it is for the helicopter pilot or for respect of the individual.

It is always nice when the Captain or CD gives a (positive) update on the passenger as everyone is always concerned. Many of us realize it could easily have been us.

I have watched a med evac at sea done by a Huey off the coast of Canada. The Captain and the Canadian airforce planned and did this rescue in a most professional way. I not sure I wouldn't "die of fright" if I had to be the person being lifted by helicopter -- I guess I always thought that the helicopter landed on that big H up on the deck.

I had just started carrying MedJet Assist insurance at that time. I still carry it now. No one can ever imagine that they might need these extraordinary medical procedures but yet they do and they have to be paid for by somebody. Travel insurance or evacuation insurance needs to be thought about and you need a plan on what to do if you get really sick when on vacation. I hope I never have to learn first hand about my travel insurance coverage but I am prepared if that day comes with at least some financial help and experience on the other end of the phone.

I have watched a med evac at sea done by a Huey off the coast of Canada. The Captain and the Canadian airforce planned and did this rescue in a most professional way. I not sure I wouldn't "die of fright" if I had to be the person being lifted by helicopter -- I guess I always thought that the helicopter landed on that big H up on the deck.

I had just started carrying MedJet Assist insurance at that time. I still carry it now. No one can ever imagine that they might need these extraordinary medical procedures but yet they do and they have to be paid for by somebody. Travel insurance or evacuation insurance needs to be thought about and you need a plan on what to do if you get really sick when on vacation. I hope I never have to learn first hand about my travel insurance coverage but I am prepared if that day comes with at least some financial help and experience on the other end of the phone.

Most Princess ships don't have the "H" on their decks. Other lines do - you have probably seen them on other lines.

We also carry MedJet Assist. From what I understand - they will not do a medi-vac from a ship. They will transport you from one hospital to another. You still need medi-vac insurance to get you off the ship.

The few times that I have been on a ship with a medi-evac - the Captain has explicitly ordered us not to take pics. Not sure if it is for the helicopter pilot or for respect of the individual.

It is always nice when the Captain or CD gives a (positive) update on the passenger as everyone is always concerned. Many of us realize it could easily have been us.

They ask you not take pictures using flash (evening and night) because the constant 'flashing' can cause vision problems for the helicopter crew. EM

I was standing next to someone who said they were down in medical and that the passenger was a young boy. I can't imagine the anguish a parent would go through seeing their child airlifted to another country while they stayed on board. I was able to video the entire event but have not looked at it yet. Having seen this done many times in the Navy, I will say the coast guard did an excellent job as usual.

I've been a little suspicious that it seems like every time one hears from the staff, the person is always doing well. I'm guessing that it's being said to make people on the ship feel better.

and because the patient/pax that was evac'd is entitled to have his/her private medical situation..remain just that..private.....regardless of how many pax were delayed/inconvenienced/interested/concerned about his/her well being.....the info must remain private.....

I was standing next to someone who said they were down in medical and that the passenger was a young boy. I can't imagine the anguish a parent would go through seeing their child airlifted to another country while they stayed on board. I was able to video the entire event but have not looked at it yet. Having seen this done many times in the Navy, I will say the coast guard did an excellent job as usual.

please don't upload the video

We were on the Star Princess last April and had two medical emergencies. Both handled extremely professionally. About the third morning out the entire ship was awakened by Captain Nash on the overhead PA system around 0700!! He was terribly apologetic but asked if any passenger was carrying a valid blood donor card and was O- or A+ blood type would they please present to the medical centre. Many people responded and the patient had a transfusion on board and went ashore at the next port. A couple of nights later, during dinner, we turned back to St. Lucia for a pilot boat to come and take off another sick passenger. We actually watched that unfold from our dining room window as it took place right outside. Both times we were told by the captain that the passengers we doing OK. Scary situation but I was so impressed with how Princess handled both.

Even the ships that have the landing spot in general they don't actually land the helicopter. It's actually safer for them to do the inflight lift than to land.

They ask you not take pictures using flash (evening and night) because the constant 'flashing' can cause vision problems for the helicopter crew. EM

This was during the day so it must have been for patient's respect.

This was during the day so it must have been for patient's respect.

I disagree. He clearly said do not use a flash. I agree above with the reason directed towards the safety of the flight crew. If he would have said no cameras, I am sure it would have been enforced by the the many stationed crew members.

I concur, we were on the Coral a few years ago, just off San Francisco when it became necessary to airlift a passenger off the ship. The procedure was much the same as described by Prowdwings and the instructions to us relayed by the bridge from the Coast Guard Crew was that there was to be no flash photography.

I disagree. He clearly said do not use a flash. I agree above with the reason directed towards the safety of the flight crew. If he would have said no cameras, I am sure it would have been enforced by the the many stationed crew members.

The sailing I was on specifically said no cameras. This was before lunch - definitely day time.

So while they may have said "no flash" on your sailing - on our sailing, they said no cameras.

You really can't disagree with what we were told on our sailing (as you were not there) - that is what the Captain said. As far as was it enforced, no one crossed the Captain's orders that I could tell. I honestly understand why the Captain told us such. Most people would not want pictures of themselves being media-vaced.

This was on the Sun or Dawn Princess a few years ago in Alaska. It wasn't on the recent Crown Princess.

We had a medical evacuation a few years ago. It was during the day also and the Captain instructed us to not take any photos and if we did we would put put off the ship at the next port. He was very direct and people obeyed.

Please don't show the video or pictures....I think it infringes on the person's right of privacy. There was a huge discussion last year about showing pics/videos of evacuations. Also, put yourself in that position, especially if it was a child, would YOU like to be videoed or have pictures taken? I certainly would not. It is a very stressful situation for all involved and it doesn't need to be taken advantage of by people filming/picture taking. Please have respect for the person and his/her family. Thank you.

If I was the person being evacuated (I pray that never happens) I would hope people would get a video and pictures so I could watch what I was going through. But that's just me. I know some people like their privacy.

Archived