Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

bc6152, first of all I wasn't complaining-I was giving my opinion. Second, if I was going to sail on one of those megaships, I would be glad to make reservations as long as everyone else had to do so also. I simply feel the policy should apply to all and that access to shows should not be a suite perk.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

OOOOOH, Steve! I think I found this thread just so that I could be reminded that you are going to be back on board the Oasis....and we are not!! :( Lucky YOU :) On the NYE cruise, I had made all of our show reservations as soon as it was possible to do online. I wish that I would have known about this "perk" as it definitely would have created a more relaxed vibe to our onboard experience. WE enjoyed everything nevertheless. As an aside, having cruised with Celebrity in a Royal Suite last summer in the Med and our recent experience on the RCCL Oasis, I would (hands down) recommend RCCL concierge experience over Celebrity anyday! For our extended family, who all were in Oasis suites, the Concierge Lounge with the wonderful hospitality of Natalia and waiters far exceeded having a butler on Celebrity. Just my $.02. As an aside, we are reserved on the Crystal Serenity for a Baltic Russian cruise in 2013. It will be interesting to see how everything stacks up. P.S. Steve....I wanted to do another Oasis cruise this summer, but was challenged by a vacation to Bermuda. Hope to see you onboard one of these days. :)Pam

Good to hear from you Pam...I couldn't agree with you more.....that concierge lounge on Oasis/Allure just keeps you coming back again and again....and yes, the concierges are GREAT:) Hopefully our sailing paths will cross again:cool:

Well I don't see the Oasis or Allure in your sig line as having cruised this ship. I have cruised both ships a total of six times and there are no issues as you speak. Another comment from left field from someone who has no idea of what they're talking about.:rolleyes:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I must ask if it is not a detraction not being able to "see the ocean" like on the smaller ships. I really enjoy watching the water and have avoided Oasis and Allure because of the perception of being closed in.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I must ask if it is not a detraction not being able to "see the ocean" like on the smaller ships. I really enjoy watching the water and have avoided Oasis and Allure because of the perception of being closed in.

You're going to get different answers on this but I don't see the big difference between the Oasis class and Freedom class. There are plenty of places to enjoy the sea. If you're sitting in central park then no you cannot view the sea but the Voyager and Freedom class do not offer this.

My take on this issue is that Oasis is just too &%$# big and carries too &%$# many passengers.

No way they could build entertainment venues big enough to accommodate all of the passengers for a given show in one night, as smaller ships do by having early/late shows in their main theaters. Result? Reservations required. Consequence? Suite pax feel like they're being taken for granted. Next consequence? Suite pax get a free pass to the shows. Unintended consequence? Every non-suite pax on the ship gets teed off that their 'reservations' are being usurped by the suite folks. And there goes the suite pax perk, teeing off THAT group.

It's a no-win for Royal, but it's their own fault. They wanted mongo ships with mongo passenger loads for the (hoped-for) mongo revenue enhancements... but there ya go, two out of three ain't bad.

That really is not an issue or the case. No, they cannot run shows like they do on the rest of the ships. However, by putting in the reservation system RCI has devised a way to make it all work and accommodate everyone on a very large ship with a lot of passengers.

The process is different but that does not mean that the ships are too big, that the ships are poorly designed, or that there are too many passengers. It seems that the only thing RCI did wrong was attempt to exempt one group of passengers from the reservation system as a perk and rectifying that has led to the present issue.

I personally find the original post offensive, but I have come to expect such Suite-Centered posts from this individual. People who fly first class still go through security with the rest of the unwashed masses, so people who travel in suites can make reservations or stand in line just like everyone else.;)

I have traveled in almost all catagories of RCCL cabins, and have never expected to be treated any better or any worse than anyone else. I think it's sad that some people around here think that they are God's Gift just because they sail in suites or are Diamond Plus or whatever; get over yourselves people, it all means NOTHING!!:eek:

Yes but the only change mentioned was making everyone have reservations. Those roped off seats will still be there and the same issue will still exist. I don't see RCI getting rid of the reserved suite seats.

But they may be better at figuring out how many seats to rope off for a performance if they know who has reservations? Thereby opening up some of those seats? Not a guarantee that they will all be used but a better gauge with reservations.

But they may be better at figuring out how many seats to rope off for a performance if they know who has reservations? Thereby opening up some of those seats? Not a guarantee that they will all be used but a better gauge with reservations.

The areas roped off are not that large. Also RCI does not go through the reservations to see how many suite guests are booked and I also doubt that changes either. They simply don't have the time.

I personally find the original post offensive, but I have come to expect such Suite-Centered posts from this individual. People who fly first class still go through security with the rest of the unwashed masses, so people who travel in suites can make reservations or stand in line just like everyone else.;)

I have traveled in almost all catagories of RCCL cabins, and have never expected to be treated any better or any worse than anyone else. I think it's sad that some people around here think that they are God's Gift just because they sail in suites or are Diamond Plus or whatever; get over yourselves people, it all means NOTHING!!:eek:

PDC......calm down. Seems to me there is a big chip on your shoulder. The original poster was just trying to inform others of the change in case they were counting on this "perk" once they were onboard. I really do not think the author intended anything but.....

That really is not an issue or the case. No, they cannot run shows like they do on the rest of the ships. However, by putting in the reservation system RCI has devised a way to make it all work and accommodate everyone on a very large ship with a lot of passengers.

The process is different but that does not mean that the ships are too big, that the ships are poorly designed, or that there are too many passengers. It seems that the only thing RCI did wrong was attempt to exempt one group of passengers from the reservation system as a perk and rectifying that has led to the present issue.

I think you hit the situation right on the head!! Sometimes RCCL does some of the most bonehead things........it's almost like we never learn from past mistakes........I used to love RCCL for it's consistency.......I kinda remember that:)

Great post........and again trying to rectify a perk.......they have done it before

No offense Dawg but offensive??? People who fly first class don't pay extra for that benefit where as the benefit is listed as one of the perks for suite guests. If you have a problem with that then take it out on RCI not the suite guest. You're condescending unwashed masses and God's Gift comment is substantially more offensive than anything the OP has said so far.:rolleyes:

PDC......calm down. Seems to me there is a big chip on your shoulder. The original poster was just trying to inform others of the change in case they were counting on this "perk" once they were onboard. I really do not think the author intended anything but.....

No offense Dawg but offensive??? People who fly first class don't pay extra for that benefit where as the benefit is listed as one of the perks for suite guests. If you have a problem with that then take it out on RCI not the suite guest. You're condescending unwashed masses and God's Gift comment is substantially more offensive than anything the OP has said so far.:rolleyes:

Yes indeed.

Here's a stupid question from a non-suite Gold member: Does the concierge level cabins include advance concierge service? For example, my understanding is that when you stay concierge level at a Disney resort you can call your concierge ahead of time and have them book all your dining reservations and special experiences for you. Does RCL have a similar program for their concierge-level/suite guests? If not, it seems to me that it would pretty much take care of the logistics of RCL wanting advance reservations done while providing suite guests an added perk for their added money.

Wow. Talk about missing the point. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid a suite guest would have to stand in line like a mere commoner :eek:.

Prices for a cruise vary according to the cabin and are determined by location, size, balcony, amenities, butler, piano, hot tub, etc. With the exception of a few perks, it is the cabin that is the difference in cost-not the food, entertainment, etc-those are standard for all on board.

There is no reason someone in a suite should get any priority for shows any more than they should be able to bump others in a line for ice cream or waffles.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Yes they should. I am not in the financial class of those able to book a suite, but I do not begrudge them their perks. This is the heart of the capitalist system. You can buy more/better options. If they are spending $15K on a cruise that I am spending $3K to go on, then they have purchased more amenities than I have. It is not just the location and size of the cabin. It is (uh oh, here it comes ;)) a class distinction. Just go back and look at the era of the Titanic and even the QE2 or Queen Mary, etc, today. Those in suites and higher priced cabins get their own dining room as well as a plethora of extra perks. On the Celebrity Eclipse if you pay for an aqua class cabin you get to eat in Blu (their special restaurant for only Aqua Class passengers). This is cruising. These distinctions have been part of this type of travel since day one. If you pay more, you get more.

Let the flaming begin!

This is not about them being better than us. I have watched Steve post for many years now. I would never think of him as a snob or think that he believes he is entitled to or better than anyone else. It is simply, you pay more, you get more.

Yes they should. I am not in the financial class of those able to book a suite, but I do not begrudge them their perks. This is the heart of the capitalist system. You can buy more/better options. If they are spending $15K on a cruise that I am spending $3K to go on, then they have purchased more amenities than I have. It is not just the location and size of the cabin. It is (uh oh, here it comes ;)) a class distinction. Just go back and look at the era of the Titanic and even the QE2 or Queen Mary, etc, today. Those in suites and higher priced cabins get their own dining room as well as a plethora of extra perks. On the Celebrity Eclipse if you pay for an aqua class cabin you get to eat in Blu (their special restaurant for only Aqua Class passengers). This is cruising. These distinctions have been part of this type of travel since day one. If you pay more, you get more.

Let the flaming begin!

This is not about them being better than us. I have watched Steve post for many years now. I would never think of him as a snob or think that he believes he is entitled to or better than anyone else. It is simply, you pay more, you get more.

Thank you Lori:)

I totaly agree with this post. bahathree has always been a great source of information on many things and expecially information on suite services and staterooms.

Many people like to say when you book a suite you are just booking extra space. That could not be further from the tructh as Royal will tell you all the extra's that come with said catagory. Any changes to what you have paid for should be provided to the consumer well ahead of time. It just seems that simple.

Of course suite guests should get some perks- otherwise the upcharge from the categories below would be out of proportion based just on cabin size/location. I even agree with the thought that there should be some grace period between a policy change decision and implementation- because those booking suites do so after considering the perks offered and deciding if those perks justify the increased cost.

That said, I can understand why Royal might have concluded that the benefit to suite guests of offering this perk (and the resulting revenue generated) may not be worth the affect it has on the rest of the ship's passengers. As many have stated earlier, in order to guarantee admission to shows to suite guests, RCI must remove a not-insignificant number of seats from the reservation pool- just in case suite guests show up to occupy those seats. I would imagine that in order to safely make the "guaranteed admission" claim, the number of seats held out from reservations is more than the number in the suite section. My guess is that many of these seats are not taken advantage of by suite guests, and are then filled shortly before showtime by standby guests. As a result, you have lots of people who intended to make reservations unhappily unable to do so, frustratedly standing in line, and (most importantly for RCI) not spending money while they wait. RCI would rather guests have reservations so they can buy a drink or go shopping while they wait for the show to start, rather than being trapped in line.

So, while I understand your disappointment at the perk being withdrawn after you chose to book based on it, I also understand why Royal has reevaluated the decision to offer it; the unintended cost both in lost revenue for incidentals, and good-will from the majority of passengers was greater than the benefit they were getting from those who booked suites primarily based on this perk. I also think the tone of your posts is just a bit melodramatic- you're welcome to be disappointed, and it's a completely valid opinion that you valued the perk of being able to be more spontaneous on your trip- but I don't see that this is a big enough deal for all the teeth-gnashing. It's disappointing, but being able to roll with the unexpected and adapt is a really valuable life skill.

Very elegantly stated.

-Your post has missed the mark by a mile and was IMO, very uncalled for.

I think there may be several reasons for this entire reservation system, which quite honestly, is likely un-ncessary. Whatever happened to the old days of the main show being performed twice? The showroom was large enough to hold roughly half of the pax onboard and would be shown twice. The first show would be for late-seating dinner, and the second showing would be for first-seating dinner. Obviously with MTD, that doesn't quite work out so easily, but the show times can be planned for.

As for the whole class thing like onboard the Titanic and other ocean liners, I don't really think that would apply in this case. Back in the day of the Titanic and the transatlantic liners, there were generally 3 classes - First, Second, and Third/Steerage. Yes, the First class passengers had their own dining rooms, own sun decks, own pools, etc. Same goes for second class. The difference here is that the different classes were kept separate from each other and did not inter-mingle. The steerage class passengers were never promised "Fine Dining," room service, broadway shows, buffets, etc. The second class may have had some entertainment, and better food, etc. The second class passengers did not use the same areas of the ship. Same goes for First Class.

In todays "single class" cruising, all passengers are promised "fine dining," 16 meals per day, "top-notch Broadway shows," free pizza, free room service, a beautiful dining room, 2 swimming pools, 10 jacuzzis full of kids, hockey puck burgers, etc....but the big difference is that we all use the same facilities onboard. The family on a budget in the broom-closet sized inside cabin uses the same dining rooms, lounges, pools, spas, etc as the money-is-no-object Presidential Suite guests. If you're expecting everyone to use the same common facilities, then all should play by the same rules.

I also cannot afford a suite, and it really doesn't matter to me that I can't use the Concierge Lounge, or other members-only facilities. What us commoners are irritated with is not the issue of suite guests having extra perks such as priority boarding, special lounges, canapes in their cabin, a concierge to do all of their work for them, etc. What we have an issue with is the notion that some suite guests feel they are "above the rules" when it comes to use of common areas that are intended for use by ALL. I am by no means a "snobby" person, and I could care less that I can't use a special meeting room or lounge, but if I can't attend a show that I am entitled to as part of my fare, because someone else is "above the rules" - that would get me upset!

I think there may be several reasons for this entire reservation system, which quite honestly, is likely un-ncessary. Whatever happened to the old days of the main show being performed twice? The showroom was large enough to hold roughly half of the pax onboard and would be shown twice. The first show would be for late-seating dinner, and the second showing would be for first-seating dinner. Obviously with MTD, that doesn't quite work out so easily, but the show times can be planned for.

As for the whole class thing like onboard the Titanic and other ocean liners, I don't really think that would apply in this case. Back in the day of the Titanic and the transatlantic liners, there were generally 3 classes - First, Second, and Third/Steerage. Yes, the First class passengers had their own dining rooms, own sun decks, own pools, etc. Same goes for second class. The difference here is that the different classes were kept separate from each other and did not inter-mingle. The steerage class passengers were never promised "Fine Dining," room service, broadway shows, buffets, etc. The second class may

have had some entertainment, and better food, etc. The second class passengers did not use the same areas of the ship. Same goes for First Class.

In todays "single class" cruising, all passengers are promised "fine dining," 16 meals per day, "top-notch Broadway shows," free pizza, free room service, a beautiful dining room, 2 swimming pools, 10 jacuzzis full of kids, hockey puck burgers, etc....but the big difference is that we all use the same facilities onboard. The family on a budget in the broom-closet sized inside cabin uses the same dining rooms, lounges, pools, spas, etc as the money-is-no-object Presidential Suite guests. If you're expecting everyone to use the same common facilities, then all should play by the same rules.

I also cannot afford a suite, and it really doesn't matter to me that I can't use the Concierge Lounge, or other members-only facilities. What us commoners are irritated with is not the issue of suite guests having extra perks such as priority boarding, special lounges, canapes in their cabin, a concierge to do all of their work for them, etc. What we have an issue with is the notion that

some suite guests feel they are "above the rules" when it comes to use of common areas that are intended for use by ALL. I am by no means a "snobby" person, and I could care less that I can't use a special meeting room or lounge, but if I can't attend a show that I am entitled to as part of my fare, because someone else is "above the rules" - that would get me upset!

I have just read through this entire thread and in my opinion this was the best post by far. Thank you, I am in such agreement.

And for reference.....I am Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, have sailed the Oasis Class and have sailed in suites many times over the years.

Oops, forgot to add that I do understand the disappointment of losing a promised or implies perk. However, things do change from time to time in all aspects of life. I don't like a lot of changes that I see, but bottom line is, I don't always have the power to change them, nor do I always have a say in what changes are made. But, like it or not, I have to deal with them. Businesses change policies all the time, for whatever the reasons may be, but it is THEIR business. If folks are unhappy about the changes, I do understand, but as others have said, voice your opinions to "the man." If he doesn't listen, I would vote with my checkbook as well. A simple letter or email to the corporate office stating that you will be cruising on a different line for reasons X,Y, and Z may go a long way. However, switching from RC to Celebrity won't do the trick - the profits are still going back to presumably, the same pockets!

Point. Click. Is it really so hard to make a reservation? Seems like that in the time it took to whine about the process, you could have booked all the shows you were interested in seeing....just thinking...

Archived