Carnival Vacation Gurarantee.

BigDfromTN

Just back from the Conquest last week.

Long story short and JMO. Carnival Vacation Guarantee is not explained onboard like it reads on line.

Friends with us had a family member pass away. They went and requested to have the CVG envoked and fly home from MoBay. (our first port of any kind.) They were told it is only good if there is something on board wrong that Carnival cant fix.

Interested in how others would interpret the language of the CVG as per Carnivals website. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/vacation_guarantee.aspx

ALSO when asked for a complete copy of the guarantee we were handed a screen shot of the above webpage and a separate copy of the cruise contract.

Your thoughts?????

While I understand what just about everyone else has posted in this thread, I think only the vacationer can make the call on whether they are "... not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience...". Nothing there says Carnival has a right to try and make things right before honoring the guarantee, or even if the vacationer is obligated to disclose their reasons for dissatisfaction.

While I understand what just about everyone else has posted in this thread, I think only the vacationer can make the call on whether they are "... not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience...". Nothing there says Carnival has a right to try and make things right before honoring the guarantee, or even if the vacationer is obligated to disclose their reasons for dissatisfaction.

Just being curious, if they have insurance, why are they trying to fight this? Double dipping? I dont get why they would try and do this if they had insurance.

I do think Carnival has the right to decide if their reason for being unhappy is valid or not or trying to make it right. If it was up to the pax, then others would be trying to pull one off and get off the ship cheap .. some might just want to stop in the first port to have a vacation .. they have to have the right to decide if your friends reason is valid and they can make it right. it cant be left up to the pax imo .. but thats just my opinion.

Just being curious, if they have insurance, why are they trying to fight this? Double dipping? I dont get why they would try and do this if they had insurance.

I do think Carnival has the right to decide if their reason for being unhappy is valid or not or trying to make it right. If it was up to the pax, then others would be trying to pull one off and get off the ship cheap .. some might just want to stop in the first port to have a vacation .. they have to have the right to decide if your friends reason is valid and they can make it right. it cant be left up to the pax imo .. but thats just my opinion.

I suspect the potential for abuse may be why the CVG is set to expire in Dec 2012. While I agree that it should be stated, nothing in the verbage currently mentions a remedy/refusal process.

Just back from the Conquest last week.

Long story short and JMO. Carnival Vacation Guarantee is not explained onboard like it reads on line.

Friends with us had a family member pass away. They went and requested to have the CVG envoked and fly home from MoBay. (our first port of any kind.) They were told it is only good if there is something on board wrong that Carnival cant fix.

Interested in how others would interpret the language of the CVG as per Carnivals website. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/vacation_guarantee.aspx

ALSO when asked for a complete copy of the guarantee we were handed a screen shot of the above webpage and a separate copy of the cruise contract.

Your thoughts?????

Personally I think the Guarantee is pretty clear "If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience" that the guarantee applies to Carnival's product, not your personal problems. I don't think this is remotely vague wrt your issues, and I'd side with Carnival on this one.

Having said that, you could probably have found (made-up) something relevant to the guarantee to complain about, and been able to invoke it.

ken

To me it's important it refers to being satisfied with the "cruise... experience". I think the verbiage is clear. If there's something about the cruise itself or cruising that you just can't stand, then they'll get you home. But I wouldn't interpret it more broadly than that.

Thanks to all for the input so far.

AND again. My question is "Is the verbage clear"?

To a layperson such as myself? Yes, the verbage is clear. The spirit and the intent of the verbage is also clear.

I am also sorry for your friends' loss, but I do think you are splitting hairs here. The issue was not with the cruise itself so no, the CVG should not apply. You seem to understand that this is the spirit of the rule but take issue with the actual letter of the rule? The verbiage does seem pretty clear, IMO.

First off~ I'm sorry for your friends loss.

When I read this sentence~

If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.

it means to me that if I'm not happy with my cruise, then I can get the guarantee. Receiving notice that a family member has died has nothing to do with my cruise experience~ yes it does ruin my cruise but it's not the fault of the cruise line and that's how I read that paragraph~ sorry.

Hello Big D, from a Midtown transplant! :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your friends situation. I interpret the CVC to mean something on the cruise itself. It doesnt say it verbatim, but to me its pretty well implied.

This was clearly an attempt by passengers to unfairly game the system. In court (not that it would ever get that far), a judge would consider the spirit of the guarantee, and would disallow a not-so-clever reinterpretation of it. Carnival's intent is to promise that their product will satisfy customers, and if not, so on...

I often disagree with some of the dumb customer service decisions that Carnival or its misguided reps are capable of, but in this case, they are 100 percent justified in refusing the guarantee claim.

Archived