Family Cruise with daughters ages 21 and 25 ( Eastern Med.)

newcruisermom

Hi,

I have been following the recent posts regarding the two young adults looking at Celebrity for a cruise. However, we are trying to plan a family vacation (rather than young adults on their own) with our two daughters ages 21 and 25. We are looking for a port-intensive Eastern Med. cruise this summer on the Equinox. Will Celebrity be an appropriate line for the 4 of us? Although our daughters will venture off on their own, they will be spending most of the time with us and probably won't be too into night life. However, I don't want them to bored, either. (This is our last family splurge trip before one's wedding/one's graduation.) I have been reading that RCI is more appropriate for young adults, but I don't see that their newer ships are doing Eastern Mediterranean cruises in the summer. Should we switch itineraries and go with a ship like RCI's Liberty of the Sea?

Thanks for your help!

Personally I don't think they will be bored. With a port intensive cruise in Europe I don't think they will miss the rock climbing wall for example.

If they might enjoy an elegant, modern, relaxing, beautiful ship they will be fine.

There's plenty to do onboard (besides the wonderul meals!)

German.

You will only have two sea days. Otherwise you are off the ship by 8:30 and not back on until 5:00pm.

I think your adult daughters will love the Sunset Bar and grass area, the glass blowers, the spa, fitness center, specialty restaruants. There wll be all ages, folks from all over the world on this cruise. They will love the Greek islands and can certainly explore them on their own.

What a wonderful family vaction.

I think they would love the ship - there is lots to do and admire on board for all ages, and Eastern Med itinerary promises lots of great excursion opportunities, which ports are you visiting?/ We did Eastern med on Solstice and it was fabulous! They will also love the spa, restaurants, there is a nightclub, theatre, shops etc. I think you will all love it!

Our family has young adults aged 25,24,22,21, and 17 and we are currently booked on our 6 th Celebrity cruise this time around the Baltic. We have done the Eastern Med. It was a wonderful cruise. We have a teacher ,an accountant, a

and three students.

They enjoy the food, the Martini bar, the smoothies and gym. They have joined a choir, taken dancing lessons, relaxed in the spa and competed in many pool games. I have swoped them for other young adults/more mature cruisers during Trivia games to even up the chances on Modern pop questions. They have modelled clothes, flirted with officers and even arranged a tour of the Bridge for us (we didn't know this was possible until one of our young blonde ladies asked nicely).

They split up and meet others , take trips to discos on overnight stops and just relax on sun beds chilling out. It is quite safe to leave them sleeping in the cabin on sea days and The 'hotel' moves to a new place most days and they love to visit new places and old haunts.

I have some wonderful pictures taken of them on Formal evenings which always make me smile as I walk past them.

I only wish my children didn't 't love Celebrity so much as then they would stay at home and my DHand I could travel in a suite and still save money.

My advice for what is is worth. Book it now and have a holiday to remember.

Hi,

I have been following the recent posts regarding the two young adults looking at Celebrity for a cruise. However, we are trying to plan a family vacation (rather than young adults on their own) with our two daughters ages 21 and 25. We are looking for a port-intensive Eastern Med. cruise this summer on the Equinox. Will Celebrity be an appropriate line for the 4 of us? Although our daughters will venture off on their own, they will be spending most of the time with us and probably won't be too into night life. However, I don't want them to bored, either. (This is our last family splurge trip before one's wedding/one's graduation.) I have been reading that RCI is more appropriate for young adults, but I don't see that their newer ships are doing Eastern Mediterranean cruises in the summer. Should we switch itineraries and go with a ship like RCI's Liberty of the Sea?

Thanks for your help!

We went on a Celebrity ship last September (mid) and we met two lovely young men who were travelling with their parents, as they did most years they were 19 and 21, and they did have a good time but they were disappointed at how few young people there was on this particular cruise. They had been on Celebrity before but a few weeks earlier in the year.

We were some of the few people who were up later in the evening, so we had the pleasure of their company on several occaisions.

So I would say if they want a few more young people around, perhaps just be mindful of when you travel, although in the current economic climate and with everything going on in the world, I think the cruise industry is struggling to fill their beautiful ships.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. We are going to go ahead with our plans for a 10 night on the Equinox in August--with two sea days and stops in Italy, Greece, and Turkey. Since the four of us really want to see as much as we can in the ports, it sounds like our daughters will be ready to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of a nice dinner, spa, pool, etc. when we are not touring...and they might join in some activities as well! I have read so many good things about the atmosphere on Celebrity, so I am looking forward to our first cruise with them.

Hi, I have been following the recent posts regarding the two young adults looking at Celebrity for a cruise. However, we are trying to plan a family vacation (rather than young adults on their own) with our two daughters ages 21 and 25. We are looking for a port-intensive Eastern Med. cruise this summer on the Equinox. Will Celebrity be an appropriate line for the 4 of us? Although our daughters will venture off on their own, they will be spending most of the time with us and probably won't be too into night life. However, I don't want them to bored, either. (This is our last family splurge trip before one's wedding/one's graduation.) I have been reading that RCI is more appropriate for young adults, but I don't see that their newer ships are doing Eastern Mediterranean cruises in the summer. Should we switch itineraries and go with a ship like RCI's Liberty of the Sea? Thanks for your help!

As others have wisely noted, the Med is very port-intensive. With only two sea-days and your family traveling together, it will be easy to fill up the time for you and your daughters. Below are a few of my pictures to help illustrate how classy and well-designed are these Solstice-class ships. Lots of places on the ship for walking around, seeing the sights on and off of the ship, hanging out, etc. You can see more details about the food, entertainment, style, etc., for these ships on my live/blog noted below.

Are you and your daughters into history, culture, architecture, shopping, etc., for your many port stops? Tell us more about your past Europe experiences and specific interests. Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 69,509 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas on the Solstice. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design are there as a part of this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

This is a view of the Solstice main pool area. Love the sun and activities here!:

SolsticeMainPoolView2.jpg

I liked to ride one of the eight glass elevators in the mid-ship courtyard with nice views out to the different floors, enjoying the ship architecture, people being active, etc. You can see the relaxing library in this shot. Classy design on this ship! Some tradition, but not too dated or old.:

SolsticeElevatorsGlassHighView.jpg

Many times at the pool in the afternoons, the “party band” was going at it with great tunes, adding to the fun and excitement around the pool area. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

This is a view looking up in the Solstice central lobby with a music group playing there. :

SolsticeLobbyUpView.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

Archived