Silver Spirit review Oct 2011

sakaara

For any one who might be interested, here is a link to Maritime Matters, Peter Knego's review of Silver Spirit's Transatlantic crossing from Lisbon in October 2011. I don't remember already seeing a link on Cruise Critic, and the review and accompanying photos are not to be missed. Enjoy!

maritimematters.com/2011/10/crossing-on-the-silver-spirit-part-one/

regards

Sakaara:)

I just got off the Sprit on the March 14th sailing. Beautiful ship, great cabin and the people who work on board are the best. BUT if are not in the 80's and above age range don't go. This was such a SENIOR cruise. Wished we would have known, would never have spent this much money. BUT again a beautiful ship and wonderful people.

I just got off the Sprit on the March 14th sailing. Beautiful ship, great cabin and the people who work on board are the best. BUT if are not in the 80's and above age range don't go. This was such a SENIOR cruise. Wished we would have known, would never have spent this much money. BUT again a beautiful ship and wonderful people.

I think the manifest was probably greatly influenced by the fact it was round trip Fort Lauderdale -- NO INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS -- BARGAIN FARES - FLORIDA HOME OF MANY SENIORS. I was on the Cloud RT FLL earlier in the month and, for the first time in many years cruising with SS, found almost the same thing.

I'm assuming it was your first SS cruise -- try it again but look carefully at itineraries and season -- summertime you'll find a lot of kids (although there's really nothing for kids to do on SS except disrupt the pool);)

Yes it was our first time on SS. Wished I would have thought about FLL and the senior thing. It is not like we are spring chickens, but this was beyond our belief. This was more money than we have ever spent on a cruise and was very unhappy. Another wine please! lol

I have to add my voice to the experience on the Spirit being about itinerary and time of year. I've sailed on Spirit twice, and both times the age mix was mostly mid 30s to late 60's. Yes, there were younger and older people but 35ish to 65ish years old was about 90% of the passengers, overall I'd say the majority were aged between 45 and 60. Neither cruise felt at all like a 'senior cruise', but that wouldn't really bother me anyway. Rather a ship full of older, well travelled, well educated people than a load of kids...

I would MUCH rather be around 80 year-olds than young families with screaming brats.

Some of the most interesting people we've met are in their late 70's and early 80's. I hope I'm that interesting to younger people in 15 years!

Different things for different people....

I'm in my mid 30's and when I read highlandshores post I was thinking the exact opposite.

I pay extra to have a voyage with an older median age who are more sophistacated and well traveled.

I much enjoy talking with an age set older than I am, for there are great stories, experiences, and insights one can not read in any book.

To me, and I'm way ahead of most people my age, the extra $$ is worth the extra service, food, wine, and conversation on board, regardless of age.

Alas, when I have my 6 year old, like next week, I take a more appropriate cruise. Ie. Rccl.

That is true cmhmarine. I should have done more research like dusababy said. Seniors are not bad, it just was not what I was looking for. 50's to 70's would have been great. And I do agree, it is alot better than the kids screaming. That is why I travel during school time. Anyway, it was a learning experience for me. Trust me I am not knocking Seniors.....we are not spring chickens as I said, was just thrown off.

I truly think the demographic issue you experienced was due to it being a roundtrip cruise from FLL--people can just drive to Port Everglades and park. We have sailed multiple times on Silversea (but never roundtrip from a single port) and never experience the skewed age demographic that you have...and on our first Silversea cruise we expected lots of silver foxes and golden girls. I agree with the comment that roundtrip FLL, no flights, etc. influenced the demographic. I know the other cruise lines on which we've traveled that have been roundtrip (FLL or San Juan) the demographic is influenced greatly by the departure port. Certain other cruise lines also give Florida residents a discount or an attractive last minute offer to fill the ship.

I have found the primary demographic to be be 40 - 65/70 on Silversea, but I guess you never know until you embark!

Archived