Ruby Princess March 11th Eastern Caribbean Review

FrozenBadger

My wife and I (50 and 47) were on the March 11th sailing. Third cruise overall, 2nd on the Ruby, which we loved last time.

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Airport/Cruise on 3/10 using my last remaining points. Free is good! Not as nice as the newer SpringHill locations I've stayed at, this one was older and a bit tired. However, the free shuttle from the airport runs until midnight, and transport to the cruise terminal is also free. You can tell they are used to the cruise crowd - there were extra foldiing banquet tables set up in the lobby for the overflow breakfast crowd. We walked across the street to the KMart on Sunday morning and purchased water and Diet Dew to save a few more $ for beer (haha) on the ship. Jumped on the 11:30am shuttle for a 10 minute ride to the terminal.

Our bus from the hotel arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:45 on Sunday, and we entered a long line waiting to board. Once they started the process, we moved quickly and were onboard in no more than 15 minutes. Princess does this really well (when Noro doesn't mess things up).

The cruise overall was awesome. Weather was absolutely perfect - around 80 every day, mostly sunny. Crew on Ruby, everyone we met, was incredibly good. Friendly, smiling, courteous (more so than many of the passengers). Alejandra (Alex) took great care of us in our cabin B219. Always pleasant and very, very good. We'd leave for 20 minutes, and return each time to a spotless room.

Food: A-/B+ overall. We avoided the buffets on purpose, and had breakfast each morning at International Cafe Deck 5. Glad most people don't go there or assume there are extra charges - there were never more than 10 people there, no lines, and we had yogurt parfaits and various danishes each day - perfect start vs. loading up on grease & extra calories upstairs. We did AnyTime dining, and usually waited no more than 10 minutes for a table for 2. MDR food was really good. A few misses, but overall much better than we'd cook at home, and we aren't expecting perfection, so it was great. We had dinner at Sabatini's on Wednesday night, which was incredible. Over 2 hours, but well paced and delicious. Well worth the extra $ for a romantic dinner for 2.

Ports: We made a conscious decision on this trip, our first without our college-age kids, to just relax vs. schedule too much. Pricess Cays is a great beach day. We went to Orient Beach on St. Martin (crowded & overrated IMO but better than the snow at home). Cab rides to & from were like a thrill ride - those cabbies are a little crazy. Went shopping in St. Thomas then relaxed on the ship. Grank Turk was a top 5 alltime beach day. We walked off the cruise dock, turned left past Margaritaville - which is incredible but really crowded, probably great for teens & 20's who want to meet people & party - and headed down the beach 1/4 mile to Jack's Shack. Nothing fancy there, but the beach wasn't crowded, beer was cold, and we just laid on our 2 rented chaises ($5 each), swam, and tanned all day. Perfect.

Only negatives/changes we'd suggest: Movies by the pool (MUTS) were hit & miss. There were several black & white silent movies during the day - who wants to read subtitles in the sun by a pool? Everyone watched the newer releases - MoneyBall, Muppets, etc and the concerts, and very few the silent movies. We had seen comedian Phil Tag before, but he was great again. We would have walked out of comedian/entertainer Steve Morse if we could have done so - kind of a hippie Wierd Al Yankovich, didn't laugh once, but that's just our personal taste. We continue to be amazed at how empty most of the lounges are in the evening. One of them - WheelHouse, Explorers, etc could become a sports bar & would pack them in. Otherwise most are somewhat alike & obviously not terribly popular under the current themes. Walked in & stood in the back for the "Dream" muscial in the theater - not really impressed - much like a good high school production - sorry.

Overall, we went on this cruise to relax, let someone else cook & clean, get some sun, and have a few cold drinks, and had a great time. We highly recommend Princess & the Ruby, and hope to be back again soon.

My wife and I (50 and 47) were on the March 11th sailing. Third cruise overall, 2nd on the Ruby, which we loved last time.

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Airport/Cruise on 3/10 using my last remaining points. Free is good! Not as nice as the newer SpringHill locations I've stayed at, this one was older and a bit tired. However, the free shuttle from the airport runs until midnight, and transport to the cruise terminal is also free. You can tell they are used to the cruise crowd - there were extra foldiing banquet tables set up in the lobby for the overflow breakfast crowd. We walked across the street to the KMart on Sunday morning and purchased water and Diet Dew to save a few more $ for beer (haha) on the ship. Jumped on the 11:30am shuttle for a 10 minute ride to the terminal.

Our bus from the hotel arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:45 on Sunday, and we entered a long line waiting to board. Once they started the process, we moved quickly and were onboard in no more than 15 minutes. Princess does this really well (when Noro doesn't mess things up).

The cruise overall was awesome. Weather was absolutely perfect - around 80 every day, mostly sunny. Crew on Ruby, everyone we met, was incredibly good. Friendly, smiling, courteous (more so than many of the passengers). Alejandra (Alex) took great care of us in our cabin B219. Always pleasant and very, very good. We'd leave for 20 minutes, and return each time to a spotless room.

Food: A-/B+ overall. We avoided the buffets on purpose, and had breakfast each morning at International Cafe Deck 5. Glad most people don't go there or assume there are extra charges - there were never more than 10 people there, no lines, and we had yogurt parfaits and various danishes each day - perfect start vs. loading up on grease & extra calories upstairs. We did AnyTime dining, and usually waited no more than 10 minutes for a table for 2. MDR food was really good. A few misses, but overall much better than we'd cook at home, and we aren't expecting perfection, so it was great. We had dinner at Sabatini's on Wednesday night, which was incredible. Over 2 hours, but well paced and delicious. Well worth the extra $ for a romantic dinner for 2.

Ports: We made a conscious decision on this trip, our first without our college-age kids, to just relax vs. schedule too much. Pricess Cays is a great beach day. We went to Orient Beach on St. Martin (crowded & overrated IMO but better than the snow at home). Cab rides to & from were like a thrill ride - those cabbies are a little crazy. Went shopping in St. Thomas then relaxed on the ship. Grank Turk was a top 5 alltime beach day. We walked off the cruise dock, turned left past Margaritaville - which is incredible but really crowded, probably great for teens & 20's who want to meet people & party - and headed down the beach 1/4 mile to Jack's Shack. Nothing fancy there, but the beach wasn't crowded, beer was cold, and we just laid on our 2 rented chaises ($5 each), swam, and tanned all day. Perfect.

Only negatives/changes we'd suggest: Movies by the pool (MUTS) were hit & miss. There were several black & white silent movies during the day - who wants to read subtitles in the sun by a pool? Everyone watched the newer releases - MoneyBall, Muppets, etc and the concerts, and very few the silent movies. We had seen comedian Phil Tag before, but he was great again. We would have walked out of comedian/entertainer Steve Morse if we could have done so - kind of a hippie Wierd Al Yankovich, didn't laugh once, but that's just our personal taste. We continue to be amazed at how empty most of the lounges are in the evening. One of them - WheelHouse, Explorers, etc could become a sports bar & would pack them in. Otherwise most are somewhat alike & obviously not terribly popular under the current themes. Walked in & stood in the back for the "Dream" muscial in the theater - not really impressed - much like a good high school production - sorry.

Overall, we went on this cruise to relax, let someone else cook & clean, get some sun, and have a few cold drinks, and had a great time. We highly recommend Princess & the Ruby, and hope to be back again soon.

Thanks for the review. We leave on the Ruby this Sunday. Can't wait!!!

Thanks so much for this review. A couple of questions.

What nights were the formal nights?

What type of music in Wheelhouse and Explorer?

Thank you for mentioning Jacks Shack. We are going to try this place out the week of April 15th:):)

Formal nights were Tuesday (first sea day) and Thursday (after St. Thomas).

WheelHouse was usually a 3 piece combo type - jazzy. Explorer was mostly comedy/art auctions/trivia/Princess house band. Crooners has very popular Bert Stratton - kind of a crazy piano singalong deal. Best lounge bartenders are Alex & Adrian in Crooners.

Formal nights were Tuesday (first sea day) and Thursday (after St. Thomas).

WheelHouse was usually a 3 piece combo type - jazzy. Explorer was mostly comedy/art auctions/trivia/Princess house band. Crooners has very popular Bert Stratton - kind of a crazy piano singalong deal. Best lounge bartenders are Alex & Adrian in Crooners.

Thanks for the quick response.:):)

I thought I read somewheres they were showing "The Artist". Won Best Picture of 2012. Black and White and Silent as well.

We were on this sailing too and the movie was the award winning silent movie "The Artist".

We loved Steve Moris. Thought he was very funny! Most of his comedy is based on his experience as a band member of the Beach Boys and other artists. He will only be on Princess ships until May, when he moves to Las Vegas for his own permanent show there.

Our balcony had the same 16" table, 2 fixed back chairs and 2 adjustable back chairs. It depends on which deck you're on and how large/small you balcony is. I like the adjustable back chairs better than the lounge chairs by the pool.... personal preference.

We saw whales as we were sailing into GT. They are Caribbean Humpback Whales.

Thanks for the review. I suspect they put silent movies on during the day to somewhat satisfy those who complain about the loud MUTS sound during the day.

I really enjoyed those loud MUTS. We were in port sailing on a different cruise line and I sat on my balcony watching and listening to the movie being played on the Princess ship docked next to use. :D.

Our bed on Baja level was quite firm - I like it that way, so we never requested a topper of any sort. If you like softer beds, I'd recommend you request something, because ours was definitely not soft (and I know, I'm in the mattress business!!) :)

Archived