What if you carry-on?

dundeene

We are coming from a rural area with a few plane changes. We have had bad experiences with lost luggage and have learned to pack everything in just our carry-ons. (two 22 x 14 x 9) We are very capable of easily handling our bags!

We have a PH and will arrive at the port; noon or slightly after.

Is there much of a chance we can just walk on with our bags and go to our cabin?

You wrote in part..

"We are coming from a rural area with a few plane changes. We have had bad experiences with lost luggage and have learned to pack everything in just our carry-ons. (two 22 x 14 x 9)....?

oh my gosh.. how do you do that? takes me at least one of those for my shoes.... ;-):D

Most flights are very strict about carry on weight. We are only allowed 7kg - how can you go for a cruise with just 7kg of luggage? Another alternative is to pack a bag but also pack most of what you need on the carry on. That way if your main luggage is lost, you will still have what is in your carry on.

We are coming from a rural area with a few plane changes. We have had bad experiences with lost luggage and have learned to pack everything in just our carry-ons. (two 22 x 14 x 9) We are very capable of easily handling our bags!

We have a PH and will arrive at the port; noon or slightly after.

Is there much of a chance we can just walk on with our bags and go to our cabin?

The phrase "go to our cabin" is an elastic one. By 3:00 p.m., you'll hear an announcement that all the cabins are ready and that cruisers can go to their cabin. That means the rooms are fully cleaned and cruisers can shut their doors to keep their luggage locked in the room while they continue to explore the ship. That same announcement gets made earlier the higher the price of your accommodations. I vaguely think I remember hearing that announcement for Penthouse and higher suites around 1:00 or 1:30 p.m. on Marina this past December.

However, if you know the layout of the ship you'll be cruising, there is nothing to prevent you from simply walking to your own cabin and leaving your luggage in an out of the way place if the cleaning process is incomplete. My husband and I routinely do this with our carry-on luggage; in nearly twenty cruises we've never gotten burned by leaving our stuff in our unlocked room.

Your post didn't mention your embarkation city. Some ports are significantly distant from the airport so you can assume you'll sink considerable time getting from one place to another (e.g. Santiago airport to Valparaiso, Beijing airport to Tianjin)

I'm just as bewildered by the folks who pack a suitcase worth of shoes as they are about your ability to travel with no more than a roll-aboard.

I'm just as bewildered by the folks who pack a suitcase worth of shoes as they are about your ability to travel with no more than a roll-aboard.

Agreed!! I am amazed at how much many Americans travel with! Most airlines from New Zealand limit luggage to approx 20 kilos (42 pounds approx). I have seen some tourists with two large bags each for a short holiday! I was watching a Rick Steve's video the other day and he said that there were two sorts of tourists - those who packed light and those who wished they did :)

We are leaving from Barcelona.

Delta carry-on weight limit is actually 70 lbs although I won't get close to that.

I will wear my bulkiest shoes, pant, cardigan and jacket on the plane.(cardigan and jacket rolled either as a pillow, on my lap if the plane is cold, or under the seat) I only put them overhead if there is still room after everyone has stowed their carry-on. For 13 days I will bring. . . . . . . . . . .

4 skirts, 3 pants, 2 capris, 8 tops, 2 lightweight wraps. I pair dressy ballet flats, one pair skinny sandals. ( I roll everything) shoes take the most room! Silk tops roll smaller that a hotdog bun.

All in two color families to mix and match. Most will be lightweight washable silk. Lots of multi-color scarves to add a little variety.

It may seem a sacrifice to some to pack in 1 carry-on, but hitting the ground after a long trip and walking straight to taxi is great! You also can check-in online and walk through security to your gate. We think it literally cuts our que time down by 75 percent.

Maybe we can slip in about 1pm and drop the bags in the closet;)

kspc cruise fan is correct. You can board the ship early and it often depends on the port. However, you cabin is not ready and you have to keep any carry on (to the ship) with you. The cruise line will take your luggage immediately and bring it to your room when the cabins are ready. Being in a PH, your cabin will be available before other classes. All cabins are suppose to be ready by 3 pm. In Barcelona this past May, we boarded at 1 pm and had lunch. I had bottles of wine and scotch with me in my tote bag and had to keep the tote with me till the cabin was open. Our cabin was not called till 3 pm but when I passed it in the hall at aroujd 2 pm it was already cleaned so I tossed in my tote bag.

kspc cruise fan is correct. You can board the ship early and it often depends on the port. However, you cabin is not ready and you have to keep any carry on (to the ship) with you. The cruise line will take your luggage immediately and bring it to your room when the cabins are ready. Being in a PH, your cabin will be available before other classes. All cabins are suppose to be ready by 3 pm. In Barcelona this past May, we boarded at 1 pm and had lunch. I had bottles of wine and scotch with me in my tote bag and had to keep the tote with me till the cabin was open. Our cabin was not called till 3 pm but when I passed it in the hall at aroujd 2 pm it was already cleaned so I tossed in my tote bag.

Maybe I'm confused here, but once you get to the ship, why wouldn't you just check the carry on and go up to luncheon like ladies and gentlemen?

:confused:

We are leaving from Barcelona.

Delta carry-on weight limit is actually 70 lbs although I won't get close to that.

YIKES How do you even lift that much to place in the overhead bins

Most air carriers only allow up to 20 lbs, if that

Maybe I'm confused here, but once you get to the ship, why wouldn't you just check the carry on and go up to luncheon like ladies and gentlemen?

Why are you introducing issues of class ("ladies and gentlemen") into this topic? Plenty of people travel with medicine or valuables in their carry-on luggage and they don't want to loose control of those items.

Why are you introducing issues of class ("ladies and gentlemen") into this topic? Plenty of people travel with medicine or valuables in their carry-on luggage and they don't want to loose control of those items.

"Like ladies and Gentlemen" was used an idiom for "graciously, or without stress". :cool:

The OP is talking about carrying EVERYTHING in his Carry On, so even if he were to remove some items that he might wish to safeguard, it would still be more practical than lugging a couple of 60 lb bags into the restaurant.

You guessed it. . . . . I don't plan to bring on a tote bag or large handbag

They are just one more thing to take up space in my carryon:D

I only use a tiny bag for tours (to hold currency an id, maybe a lipstick)

I would like access to the items in the exterior pockets, such as; travel guides, sunglasses, swimsuit, light wrap, i-touch, camera, etc.

I may pick up a tote in Barcelona if I need to.

I put my wine, scotch, meds and electronics into a tote/backpack. I don't like to check it when I get on the ship since there is glass in there for fear it will break. I do check the other two pieces of luggage. :)

I always do a mock-up pack to make sure that everything I want to bring will fit nicely in my carry-on.

The weight was just over 27 pounds.

I think a tote with a few bottles of wine, a bottle of scotch and a few books would weigh as much.

When we do extended carry-on travel, we always use two bags--our wheel-aboards, and small overnights that sit on top so we can wheel the pair along. All the valuables and travel-related papers remain in the little bags, so if we were to arrive on a ship that way, we'd simply lock the wheeled cases, and check them or leave them with our cabin attendant if feasible, then carry the little bags around until cabins were actually ready.

First of all, the earlier poster who said you could make your own way to you cabin and leave your bags is correct. I sincerely doubt if the cruise line wants that advertised, as it would create a traffic jam in the hallways if everyone did it, but the truth is that very, very few pack so lightly that they can wheel their bags on board, and even fewer want to. So, when Betsy and I have done exactly that, no one takes notice. Once we get on the elevator, we're free to punch any floor and wheel our carry-ons to our cabin. Once there, we look around for the stewards or stewardesses and let them know what we're doing; they never have any objection. Your bags are as safe as they will be later when the crew leaves them in the hallway.

Alternatively, with carry-ons, you can easily take them to the Terrace or Waves while you have lunch and linger there, or on the pool deck, until the rrooms are cleared. Lots of people do the same at diembarkation; there are always a group of bags near the restaurant doorway.

I think if you were struggling on board with wheeled carry-ons, totes and a medium size suitcase or two, the crew would be appalled and would rush down the gangplank to assist you, creating a spectacle, but a couple of carry-ons are normal even when folks leave more luggage with the porter.

If I bring (wear) only one sport coat (I like to wear them from time to time), we can manage in two carry-ons and two "personal" items like a small tote or large purse and a computer bag, for up to 2 weeks. However, if we are driving to the port (like in Miami) there's no need to save weight, and on International flights, the weight limits are a little higher, and I can bring 2 or 3 jackets to mix things up a little. Betsy mastered the art of light packing years ago; she can go for a couple of weeks out of a duffle bag. So far, she's never been thrown out of the GDR :). Granted, she's nearly as tall as me so never wears heels and gets away with dressy sandals much of the time.

I was surprised to read some of the comments about packing glass bottles in a tote or backpack; how does one get away with that on TSA-controlled flights? I can't even sneak in a half-liter bottle of Diet Pepsi unless I buy it within the controlled area of the airport. On the other hand, I often have wine or spirits in my checked bags when I bring them.

However, the simplest solution is, as Jim sugested, packing your medicines or other quickly needed items in a sparate bad within the carry-on (I have a bag with a drawstring for my medicine) and remove that before turning the carry-on over to the porter.

By the way, the absolutely best part about packing light, other than not worrying about lost luggage and not having to wait at an airport carousel, is not walking ON with the luggage, but walking OFF. You can leave the ship any time as soon as it is cleared, not having to wait for your color code to have the luggage offloaded. You won't stand out; lots of people walk off with a carry-on even if they have more luggage.

The Maiden Voyage of Riviera is very special for Jim and Stan and Betsy and I; we were there when the first piece of steel was cut. So, on that voyage, I may actually (gasp) bring a tie! I have matching trousers for my black sport coat that looks something like a dark suit if one doesn't count the buttons on the sleeve; I get away with that on dressier occasions. We will definitely be bringing at least one medium suitcase to Venice.

I think I need to clarify. The wine and scotch that I pack in the tote that I keep with me are purchased at the port of embarkation prior to boarding the ship. I hasn't traveled with me from home.

I think I realized that some time after I had posted my message; at my age, it takes the synapses a while to connect. :rolleyes:

The Maiden Voyage of Riviera is very special for Jim and Stan and Betsy and I; we were there when the first piece of steel was cut. So, on that voyage, I may actually (gasp) bring a tie! I have matching trousers for my black sport coat that looks something like a dark suit if one doesn't count the buttons on the sleeve; I get away with that on dressier occasions. We will definitely be bringing at least one medium suitcase to Venice.

Oh my gosh Don a tie..I cant even talk Stu into taking jacket on the cruise..but Stan and Jim he will bring his baseball cap!! LOL

We will be in Europe for 5 weeks so I am not sure how many bags we will take..we are flying business so have few retrictions on weight and amount of bags but will be doing trains and lots of moving around so I am going to TRY and have one bag for each Stu and I and a carry on..but not sure we can do it..BTW I will be blogging each day from the Riviera on the christening cruise for those who are interested..

We leave in three weeks so have to think about clothes soon~~

Jancruz1

Oh my gosh Don a tie..I cant even talk Stu into taking jacket on the cruise..

Yeah, but Stu has enough panache to get away with anything, even a baseball cap indoors :cool:. I have to fake it, and stick closer to convention.

For 13 days I will bring: 4 skirts, 3 pants, 2 capris, 8 tops, 2 lightweight wraps. I pair dressy ballet flats, one pair skinny sandals. ( I roll everything) shoes take the most room! Silk tops roll smaller that a hotdog bun.

Ditto. Silk is wonderful for travel for evening; it's dressy and super light weight, yet warm when layered. I've found some lighter weight fabrics for daytime. Tencel skirts (or tencel and cotton blends) rather than demim or cotton twill and handkerchief linen blouses instead of cotton knit tops pack smaller and can be washed with confidence in laundries all over the world. There are few indulgences as satisfying as putting on a white linen blouse that has been ironed by a French or Italian laundry and, in a pinch when I had to wash something in a hotel sink, the light weight of handkerchief linen looks all right in its soft un-ironed stated.

When I'm taking a land vacation, I typically don't take any slacks/capris. Even in some pretty civilized cities, I've learned that the local preference for commode design isn't necessarily what Americans are used to. I won't go into the details, but skirts work better under those conditions. Besides, I find that a skirt that has enough body to flare away from the hips is actually cooler than even Capri-length pants.

For colder weather travel, I always throw in two Fitness fleece (the lightweight type), Polartek quarter zips. These pack remarkably small yet pack a big dose of warmth.

I'm never dressed nicely enough for dinner at a three-star Michelin restaurant, but that's mostly because I don't travel with any quality jewelry or fashionable heels. (Hard to walk on Europe's cobblestone streets in heels. I don't know how the fashionable Italian ladies do it!) With black silk outfits, we've never been looked down at arriving in a one-star Michelin place.

We will be in Europe for 5 weeks so I am not sure how many bags we will take..we are flying business so have few retrictions on weight and amount of bags but will be doing trains and lots of moving around so I am going to TRY and have one bag for each Stu and I and a carry on..but not sure we can do it..

I don't understand why the added weeks will make a difference in your packing. You literally can't pack enough clothes to match the variety you'd wear when pulling from your closet so why burden yourself with more luggage than you'd pack for a 10-day trip?

FWIW, I've recently switched over to polycarbonate suitcases (see links below). These are significantly lighter-weight compared to ballistic nylon suitcases of the same dimensions.

Titan brand: http://titanluggageusa.com/product.php?line=fifthelement&sale=false

Hartmann brand: http://www.hartmann.com/shop/PC4Landing.asp

I love, love, love the four-wheel feature. It's so much easier to wheel my suitcase upright along an airport concourse or through a snake at security than to pull the regular two-wheel version behind me.

The only drawback I've found is that there's no 22" version available in the brands I've bought. The roll-aboards are all the 20" version that fits the specs for overhead storage on European domestic flights.

Yeah, but Stu has enough panache to get away with anything, even a baseball cap indoors :cool:. I have to fake it, and stick closer to convention.

Well if you bring a cap maybe you can both wear them inside..Lol..

Jancruz1

I don't understand why the added weeks will make a difference in your packing. You literally can't pack enough clothes to match the variety you'd wear when pulling from your closet so why burden yourself with more luggage than you'd pack for a 10-day trip?

FWIW, I've recently switched over to polycarbonate suitcases (see links below). These are significantly lighter-weight compared to ballistic nylon suitcases of the same dimensions.

Titan brand: http://titanluggageusa.com/product.php?line=fifthelement&sale=false

Hartmann brand: http://www.hartmann.com/shop/PC4Landing.asp

I love, love, love the four-wheel feature. It's so much easier to wheel my suitcase upright along an airport concourse or through a snake at security than to pull the regular two-wheel version behind me.

The only drawback I've found is that there's no 22" version available in the brands I've bought. The roll-aboards are all the 20" version that fits the specs for overhead storage on European domestic flights.

I have the Hartmann luggage and also love the 4 wheels what a difference..my problem is being gone for 5 weeks its that I am going to different venues and different weather. What I actually plan to do is pack really tight (usually for one week) and leave old clothes as I go along..I have done that before and it works for me..also, I have bought 4 pairs of Toms and they are great to wear and also great to pack as they are really lightweight..Last tyime I did this I shipped a bag ahead for the 3rd week but dont want to do that this time..

Jancruz1

Archived