What if you carry-on?

dundeene

Jan

I am sure you will find you can pack 1 bag each

We did 30 days going from 30C to the below freezing in the Arctic circle with 1 rolling suitcase each

I have faith in you just remind Stu to pack his socks & some long pants for the cooler days ;)

Enjoy the trip

Lyn

Jan

I am sure you will find you can pack 1 bag each

We did 30 days going from 30C to the below freezing in the Arctic circle with 1 rolling suitcase each

I have faith in you just remind Stu to pack his socks & some long pants for the cooler days ;)

Enjoy the trip

Lyn

Thanks Lyn,

I will do my best!! I think its funny you remembered he forgets his socks..LOL

Jancruz1

Agreed!! I am amazed at how much many Americans travel with! Most airlines from New Zealand limit luggage to approx 20 kilos (42 pounds approx). I have seen some tourists with two large bags each for a short holiday! I was watching a Rick Steve's video the other day and he said that there were two sorts of tourists - those who packed light and those who wished they did :)

Of course he's wrong, there are those of us that pack exactly what we need, and it doesn't fit in just carry ons for a three week trip. And we have no desire to do so.

I love, love, love the four-wheel feature. It's so much easier to wheel my suitcase upright along an airport concourse or through a snake at security than to pull the regular two-wheel version behind me.

The only drawback I've found is that there's no 22" version available in the brands I've bought. The roll-aboards are all the 20" version that fits the specs for overhead storage on European domestic flights.

The reason you don't find the 22" version is due to the four wheels. This was explained to me by a salesman in the Rimowa store, which is a brand I really like. On a two wheeled carryon the wheels are recessed into the dimensions of the bag, with 4 wheels they are all on the outside, and you have less inside space. It's a trade off.

with several plane changes and I am not sure what airline, that unless you are traveling first class, or in the airlines elite level, there is a very good chance that by the time you are allowed to board the plane, that ALL the overhead spaces are totaly taken up and you will have to check your.

On the last 4 flights, I observed that by the time regular coach was allowed to board, over 50% of the overhead space was taken.

If flying on United, be aware that 1/4 of the overhead bins are reserved for passengers who are in their economy plus. If you pop your bag in a cabin member will remove it ! I have seen this several times, people sitting in back rows, try to put their bags in the first bin on the plane...

That dosent work today.

Airlines are working very hard to make sure the plane is totaly full. They do this by reducing flights and seats. The passenger loads have gone to 95%.. form the 65 you may remember...

If your flying in a CRJ regional jet, none of the overheads will hold anything your size...

Finaly whats the hassel in checking in at a rural airport? Its going to be more problem when TSA has to go through your carry on...no liquids, sharp stuff.. Have you thought this through fully!

We have in the past few years stopped carrying anything but a camera. money meds and a change of underware.

If your flying in a CRJ regional jet, none of the overheads will hold anything your size...

True, but then you do a gate check. That's not the same as handing your luggage over to "the system" and hoping you see it again two or three changes of plane later when you arrive at your final destination.

Finaly whats the hassel in checking in at a rural airport? Its going to be more problem when TSA has to go through your carry on...no liquids, sharp stuff.. Have you thought this through fully!

Why do you suggest that dealing with the TSA in a small airport is any more of a problem than dealing with the TSA in a large airport? Our experience suggests otherwise. At the very least, the TSA agents at small airports seem to retain a kinder human touch, even if the procedures remain the same. I don't know whether this is a result of those agents hanging on to small town values of courtesy or if the TSA agents simply aren't beat up on as much by lots of self-entited people flying out of major metropolitan centers.

We have in the past few years stopped carrying anything but a camera. money meds and a change of underware.

A literal case of "Your Mileage May Vary!"

I don't know whether this is a result of those agents hanging on to small town values of courtesy or if the TSA agents simply aren't beat up on as much by lots of self-entited people flying out of major metropolitan centers.

I don't know what you've seen a major metropolitan airports but I've seen far more rude and overbearing TSA agents than I have "self-entitled" people who happen to be passengers. The rudest people I've seen just about anywhere have been the TSA agents.

I don't know what you've seen a major metropolitan airports but I've seen far more rude and overbearing TSA agents than I have "self-entitled" people who happen to be passengers. The rudest people I've seen just about anywhere have been the TSA agents.

Please re-read my answer. I was responding to HawaiiDan who was trying to persuade a cruiser flying out of a small airport that taking carry-on luggage was a uniquely challenging option. This simply made no sense to me. People put carry-on luggage through the scanner at airports large and small every hour of every day and the size of the airport doesn't require special handling by the TSA unless something gets spotted by the x-ray reader. If someone is absent-minded enough to pack a knife in a carry-on, he brings TSA scrutiny on himself. There's nothing unique to a small airport.

I then tried to make the case that TSA employees at small airports seem to be friendlier and I speculated why. The big metropolitan aiports are putting more people though screening every hour and that alone has got to be more stressful than handling a light passenger load. More stressed out TSA agents = ruder agents. We all know that some fraction of the flying public shows up at the security line with resentment. Even if the percentage remains the same in a small airport VS a big airport, the number of adversarial encounters with TSA agents is going to be higher in a busy airport. So, yes, TSA agents can be rude and overbearing but I think the rconditions under which they work invites friction. (Incidentally, I don't know a single TSA agent personally so I'm not defending them out of any personal loyalty.)

As for self-entitled passengers: We've been hearing anecdotes about self-entitled passengers with increased frequency and those are only the ones that are so extreme they make the news. The situation that caused a flight attendant to deploy the slide and leave the plane and Alex Baldwin's game rant are two that come to mind. I realize I've mixed apples and oranges because these last two examples involve flight attendants rather than TSA agents, but no TSA examples came to mind quickly.

Being overly protective of our luggage comes from the experience of traveling on multiple airlines. Starting with a smaller jet to a city that has the service of a larger airline such as AA or United, then flying AF to Europe. (far cheaper for us)

Three different companies passing off my luggage to one another, sometimes with closely timed layovers.

If I am in doubt as to our luggage moving as quickly as our flights require, I will carry it. Which has become always.

We are mid-forties and can easily handle our bags.

We will check our bags with Oceania and board with a tote bag of items we may need before our cabin is ready. So that JimandStan will think us proper ladies and gentlemen despite our agricultural backgrounds.;)

Please re-read my answer. I was responding to HawaiiDan who was trying to persuade a cruiser flying out of a small airport that taking carry-on luggage was a uniquely challenging option. This simply made no sense to me. People put carry-on luggage through the scanner at airports large and small every hour of every day and the size of the airport doesn't require special handling by the TSA unless something gets spotted by the x-ray reader. If someone is absent-minded enough to pack a knife in a carry-on, he brings TSA scrutiny on himself. There's nothing unique to a small airport.

I then tried to make the case that TSA employees at small airports seem to be friendlier and I speculated why. The big metropolitan aiports are putting more people though screening every hour and that alone has got to be more stressful than handling a light passenger load. More stressed out TSA agents = ruder agents. We all know that some fraction of the flying public shows up at the security line with resentment. Even if the percentage remains the same in a small airport VS a big airport, the number of adversarial encounters with TSA agents is going to be higher in a busy airport. So, yes, TSA agents can be rude and overbearing but I think the rconditions under which they work invites friction. (Incidentally, I don't know a single TSA agent personally so I'm not defending them out of any personal loyalty.)

As for self-entitled passengers: We've been hearing anecdotes about self-entitled passengers with increased frequency and those are only the ones that are so extreme they make the news. The situation that caused a flight attendant to deploy the slide and leave the plane and Alex Baldwin's game rant are two that come to mind. I realize I've mixed apples and oranges because these last two examples involve flight attendants rather than TSA agents, but no TSA examples came to mind quickly.

I'm sorry if I jumped to a conclusion, but it seems that perhaps you did too! I saw a link between "major metropolitan airports" and "self-entitled" that you probably didn't intend. And I objected thereto.

Yes, there ARE self-entitled passengers, but I personally haven't often seen them in the TSA line. Yes, I've seen plenty of people (who were not Alec Baldwin but they have the same attitude) who continue to use their phones and iPads and Kindles after told by the attendants to shut them down.

And I haven't often been at a small airport! Hardly ever, probably.

As to TSA employees, I've seen far too many (at the large airports) who seem to be on a power trip. And we, as passengers, cannot say anything in return. As to TSA employees at the smaller airports -- I would think that they may well be a friendlier breed than those at the big airports. I wasn't contesting THAT statement at all.

Maybe we should just say we misunderstood each other and try to start again.

Mura

I was watching a Rick Steve's video the other day and he said that there were two sorts of tourists - those who packed light and those who wished they did :)

Perhaps - but look how he dresses...

:cool:

Perhaps - but look how he dresses...

:cool:

Okay. I did. I Googled Rick Steves and "images" and followed the link to his publicity stills. I couldn't find anything objectionable about his button-down shirts, chinos, and sturdy shoes. However, knowing that these photos were staged for publicity purposes, I investigated farther to see how he dressed in other situations. The answer is "no difference."

I looked at the casual snapshots that accompany his blog entries and, again, Steves looked just fine. No novelty tee shirts with questionable sayings. No shorts. Nothing that would cause me to criticize his appearance as a traveler.

We'll simple agree to disagree on Steve's fashion choices for travel.

We'll simple agree to disagree on Steve's fashion choices for travel.

And I'm sure it's perfectly appropriate - I guess I just look at him and see "Average I.T. Guy"...

...not "Country Club Casual"

What I would like to know is how do they get scissors, nail clippers through security and how do they managed to fit all liquids into that small bag that is allowed.

Strategies:

o Use Oceania-supplied toiletry products (brand varies by the cabin category.)

o Buy needed toiletries before boarding. (People buy liquor all the time, why not toothpaste, etc.?)

o Buy toiletries at the Oceania sundry shop.

o Buy toiletries at a port call. A little pantomime and a smile will work wonders in places where language is an issue. (I also try to learn the word of the product so any future time I need to buy the product I can request the item like a local.)

Nail clippers go through screening with no problem. There was a time -- long ago -- when fliers would have to break off the nail file portion of nail clippers but that hasn't been the rule for a long time.

Are you talking about cuticle scissors? If that's the case, those also go through screening with no problem.

Archived