First upgrade offer, but with a twist...

I wonder if any of you good people have been in a similar situation to us - offered an upgrade to a cabin that doesn't exist (yet)!

We booked a large interior on GOS for the beginning of September, to the Med.

Last week, I noticed that there had been a price drop on our cabin category and, although it wasn't huge, it was worth having back.

Anyway, I was told that the reduced price was for new bookings only but, after some discussion, because we have sailed with RC quite a few times, they offered me a free upgrade to a large oceanview stateroom. Unfortunately, they were all on decks 2, 3 and 4, which was too low down for my liking. Then he said there were some on decks 7 and 8. Great, except I couldn't find any of the cabins that he offered me on the deck plans! They all had numbers that didn't exist.

He was as bemused as me, until I mentioned that the GOS was having a refit this Spring, so he went away to have a word with his manager and came back and said, yes, you can't see them because they are all on the upgraded ship's plans, which won't be available to view on the website until after the ship comes out of dry dock.

The one he recommended was on the same deck as our interior (8), and right at midship, in the place where the crown and anchor study now sits (I assume the new cabin will take up some of that space and the study will be redesigned, or put elsewhere).

Of course, I said yes to the offer, as it has a window and he says also a double sofa bed, which will be much better for our 18-year-old son than a pullman.

He said I will receive a new invoice with the new stateroom allocated to us, but part of me is a little bit apprehensive, because I couldn't see the cabin on the plans, and because I'm now going to have to wait until after the refit and the website updated to see that it really exists (fingers crossed!).

Anyone else been in this situation before?

Thanks.

Update: The email confirmation of the change of stateroom has just come through, so I have proof at least! But it will be nice to see it on the plans all the same :)

I wonder if any of you good people have been in a similar situation to us - offered an upgrade to a cabin that doesn't exist (yet)!

We booked a large interior on GOS for the beginning of September, to the Med.

Last week, I noticed that there had been a price drop on our cabin category and, although it wasn't huge, it was worth having back.

Anyway, I was told that the reduced price was for new bookings only but, after some discussion, because we have sailed with RC quite a few times, they offered me a free upgrade to a large oceanview stateroom. Unfortunately, they were all on decks 2, 3 and 4, which was too low down for my liking. Then he said there were some on decks 7 and 8. Great, except I couldn't find any of the cabins that he offered me on the deck plans! They all had numbers that didn't exist.

He was as bemused as me, until I mentioned that the GOS was having a refit this Spring, so he went away to have a word with his manager and came back and said, yes, you can't see them because they are all on the upgraded ship's plans, which won't be available to view on the website until after the ship comes out of dry dock.

The one he recommended was on the same deck as our interior (8), and right at midship, in the place where the crown and anchor study now sits (I assume the new cabin will take up some of that space and the study will be redesigned, or put elsewhere).

Of course, I said yes to the offer, as it has a window and he says also a double sofa bed, which will be much better for our 18-year-old son than a pullman.

He said I will receive a new invoice with the new stateroom allocated to us, but part of me is a little bit apprehensive, because I couldn't see the cabin on the plans, and because I'm now going to have to wait until after the refit and the website updated to see that it really exists (fingers crossed!).

Anyone else been in this situation before?

Thanks.

Update: The email confirmation of the change of stateroom has just come through, so I have proof at least! But it will be nice to see it on the plans all the same :)

Nope..not here:confused:

Wow, just think...a brand spanking new room :D Lucky you! I would print the confirmation and keep an eye on your ressie and the website for when the new deck plans are available...just to make sure everything is the way it should be;)

Thanks for the replies.

We are not going until September, so it will have had a few people in there before us, but it should should still be pretty new, which will be nice.

I have printed off the confirmation, and will definitely be keeping an eye on both the refit and the website, for when it magically appears n the deck plans :)

It's a bit scary not knowing exactly what you are getting but, as I said, it was too good to turn down, going from an interior to an ocean view, even though the cost of upgrading would have been less than half of the price drop. But, at least, we don't have to pay for it :)

I think that is kind of exciting!

I would love to be in your position!

I can't imagine it will be a horrible stateroom at all, and like you said, will offer better sleeping arrangements for your son.

Now I'll be looking for those new deck plans too, simply out of curiousity.

Ann

Just think, if for some reason it doesn't come into existance, they will most likely upgrade you to something even better, for your trouble!

Fingers crossed, so long as we are in a stateroom onboard - otherwise we will be spending 11 nights in Majorca instead of 4, which isn't so bad, but I am looking forward to visiting Malta again, as it was one of the ports of call on our first ever cruise when the kids were little :)

Archived