Sealife on Transatlantic

twinkle toes

Can anyone tell me if and what is visible from the boat (other than other boats) on an April Transatlantic cruise from Florida to England? Any migration patterns crossed or anything?

Last year we did not see any sea life.

Retired Cunard Commodore Warner always pointed out animals during the noon briefing. Interesting birds usually attach themselves to the ship at different points of the crossing. On southern crossings such as we will have on the Grand, we have been in the Sargasso Sea for several days, which is mostly wierd. Also there are dolphins/porpoises cruising by in pods, or flying along on the bow wave for some time. Twice I have seen swordfish leaping, and also twice similiar fish in the water near the ship.

On the way from the Ponta Delgado north there will be more shipping to see as we cross the busier routes to Suez. The trick to seeing stuff in the Atlantic is to be looking, which might take more time that we want to spend, what with all the other activities available.

David

Can anyone tell me if and what is visible from the boat (other than other boats) on an April Transatlantic cruise from Florida to England? Any migration patterns crossed or anything?
It's unlikely you'll see wildlife when taking the southern trans-Atlantic route on a ship. Birds migrate over land and there are few, if any, species of whales that migrate from North to South America. You may see wildlife as you approach the Bahamas and Florida.

Having completed 24 Transatlantic Crossings from UK/Europe to Florida and vice versa the most we have ever seen are a few dolphins and plenty of flying fish.:eek:

On a New York to Southampton transatlantic, we saw a huge whale shark swimming beside the ship for at least an hour. Of course, back in those days, (1976), garbage was probably tossed from the ship from time to time, making it more of a lure to the ocean life. Thankfully, that practice is now prohibited.

I am a birder and doing the transatlantic to UK. It's my first but I am told the trick is to explore the boat just before dawn. Migrating birds will rest on the ship overnight and leave as the sun comes up. Sort of puts a damper on the partying though.

I am a birder and doing the transatlantic to UK. It's my first but I am told the trick is to explore the boat just before dawn. Migrating birds will rest on the ship overnight and leave as the sun comes up. Sort of puts a damper on the partying though.

I wonder if they have to pay the auto-tip?

Having completed 24 Transatlantic Crossings from UK/Europe to Florida and vice versa the most we have ever seen are a few dolphins and plenty of flying fish.:eek:

Ditto, just a few of both on our three fall crossings.....:):):)

Bob

Archived