Pet Peeves

SewMuch

Calling all Fashion Police!

Since this is the Fashion Board, I know everyone here cares about appearances. So do you have a pet peeve?

Mine is: I hate to see baseball hats at the dinner table, so I don't want to see them in the MDR, not even on casual night. Of course thats a woman's point of view - some guys seem to think that hat is part of their head.

Please keep it civil...Sometimes we'll just have to agree to disagree.

From a male perspective..........my gripe is not so much about appearance as about respect for others and common courtesy. The dress codes definately need to be enforced more IMO. Most disappointing was on RCCL Oasis, formal night, ratty blue jeans with tee shirt, and backwards facing baseball cap, kept on the entire time at the table next to us. If you want to look like a doofus, go ahead; but there are plenty of casual venues available to you. The people who go through the effort of dressing up should not have to put up with slobs on formal nights.I am sympathetic that some people do not even own a suit or sport coat, but if you can't at least wear slacks with a nice shirt and tie, eat somehwere else for a night or two.

Read nearly all the thread - skipped some, might have to go back!

Some thoughts about makeup at the table (was mentioned early on.) I took an etiquette class and lipstick done quickly at the table is perfectly ok. Powder, mascara etc. is not. Each to his own but I am not offended by that.

Black and Brown together used to be a pet peeve, but now if you have something to tie it together (I have a black and brown tunic that I wear with my black jeans and then brown boots) it works. Gray and tan used to be the same way, I disliked them but find an item that combines both and it works.

My biggest pet peeve? Too short shorts on men. I think they need to be near the knees, at least within a few inches. Mid-thigh shorts, especially pleated front ones, just give me the heebies. Then, if you have a guy who has longer swim trunks when they wear the shorter shorts you see white thighs. *shudders*

On our last cruise we kept seeing "jorts man" he wore REALLY short light jean shorts EVERYDAY. With tucked in button front shirts. With tucked in t-shirts. And a belt! It was pretty bad, and they were tight too!

This is quite the snarky thread. Stacy and Clinton would be proud of all of you.

Quite frankly, I don't like ill fitting clothing, or someone who is trying to dress too young or too thin for their age/body shape.

As far as the expense of the clothing-I think inexpensive clothing is one thing, people can't help their budgets-and if I can find it at Target, I'll get it there instead of Macy's or Lord & Taylor. Looking cheap can happen on any income/budget. Look at most of Hollywood's "starlets" and "celebrities". (Lindsay Lohan, anyone?). And to the T-shirt lady-I'm wearing one right now-and damn proud of it. I have some fun shirts that advertise my views and associations (feminist, PFLAG mom, my kids colleges) and I wear them in appropriate places like the gym. I wear nice t-shirts with jeans for casual wear.

I once saw a pretty young woman wearing a backless sundress. On her back, and covering a huge portion of it were surgically (I hope) induced deep scars in a concentric pattern. It was the ugliest and saddest thing I have ever seen.

To purposely scar your body in order to get attention is pretty inconceivable to the general population. To cancer, burn and other survivors of accidents & disease who are scarred by no choice of their own, it is a slap in the face.

How do you know she had it to get attention? Perhaps that body modification has deep cultural significance for her or maybe the "pattern" was there to help to disguise scar tissue. If not, it does not matter. Her body, her choice. Of course, if the scarring was done against her will, that is another issue entirely.

All cultures have some form of body modification and differnt views on what constitutes beauty. Intentional scarring exists in many societies and has significance to those who do it and those who receive it.

Not so much a peeve but wow, ladies, the breasts need some support in some dresses. They shouldn't look like two flapjacks, or two old tube socks with a marble in the toe. If you have a lot of stretch marks, pick a bit more coverage.

And my rule for cleavage, if your cleavage "line" is longer than your butt crack, you're showing too much.

This is not my pet peeve as much as my husband's, but the baseball caps in any food establishment! He (my husband) gets super angry anytime he sees someone wearing a baseball cap inside because he works as a manager in an upscale hotel restaurant and gets men all the time who think it is acceptable to wear hats inside his restaurant. He then unfortunately has to tell them to either take off the hat or eat somewhere else. And wouldn't you know it - lots of people leave!

For the record it is not an age thing either because we are 25!

We are about to take our first cruise in 9 days so I can't wait to see how he reacts to people in the MDR haha

Thanks for the enjoyable thread everyone!

My sis did this a couple years ago. When she finally got enough of the "color" grown out to cut off, her natural hair color never looked better. She had hardly any of the gray they had been trying to blend (that turned orangey). She went through about a year (short hair) of discolored hair and while I don't want to say it was horrible, it sure was noticeable.

Having been in the hairstyling business for years, I realize there are people who do coloring that should just stick to cutting, good hair coloring is an art.

This happened to me too-but I know why-the stylist insisted on putting color on my unhighlighted hair and so the brown got stripped out-I told her I feared it would as I had tried coloring my hair and that would happen (which is why I liked to hightlight it instead)-but she insisted the color was better than the Loreal you buy at Walmart. I sitll said no-and she said she would just use some conditoner on my hair.Well 2 weeks later my brown hair was orangey-all for a few strands of silver in my hair that was barely noticable when blond highlights were added.(this was over 10 years ago)

Needless to say I never used her again or her business again and I also reported to them what she did to me, and the fact that I told her not to color my hair but she did it anyway saying it was just conditoner.

I have continued to highlight my hair since-but my hairdresser I use now listens to me and leaves the gray alone. I have considerably more silver now and it is a pretty shiney silver-not dull gray or yellow gray. I am sure at some point I will stop highlighting it and just wear it natural.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know she had it to get attention? Perhaps that body modification has deep cultural significance for her or maybe the "pattern" was there to help to disguise scar tissue. If not, it does not matter. Her body, her choice. Of course, if the scarring was done against her will, that is another issue entirely.

All cultures have some form of body modification and differnt views on what constitutes beauty. Intentional scarring exists in many societies and has significance to those who do it and those who receive it.

Of course you must be correct about "cultural modification"!

This young thing was traipsing out of a Tri-Delt Sorority house on the campus of a large Midwestern campus, so I am assuming that perhaps this scarring was part of some ancient cultural sorority rite forced upon nice Midwestern maidens!

It was not attractive, nor was it to disguise a surgical procedure, and I sincerely doubt that she was held down & subjected to such an indignity.

• 2 weeks later...
Couples who look like they're going to different functions - for instance, women in ballgowns with men wearing khakis and a tropical shirt. :eek:

I know I quote a post from a while ago, but did you by any chance happen to see a couple like that on DCL or NCL?

Archived