Question for TA cruisers

lovevacadays

I'm looking at the Royal's TA in 10/13. I haven't done a cruise of this duration so the prices are definitely higher than I've paid. I really like cruising with a balcony or at minimum an outside. However, if my finances dictate I might be willing to do this one in an inside. I typically really don't like insides but wondering on a TA with so many sea days will I be sorry I don't have an outside cabin?

I'm looking at the Royal's TA in 10/13. I haven't done a cruise of this duration so the prices are definitely higher than I've paid. I really like cruising with a balcony or at minimum an outside. However, if my finances dictate I might be willing to do this one in an inside. I typically really don't like insides but wondering on a TA with so many sea days will I be sorry I don't have an outside cabin?

It all depends on whether or not you need to see light. We need to; others do not. I don't think it matters on the number of days at sea. On the contrary, with rough seas you'd be better with an inside.

Wow. I just looked -- the differential could pay for another TA on one of the other ships! (I knew the all-balcony ship would be priced out of range for those of us who only book OCV cabins . . . nothing I like better than a good I-told-you-so moment!) That said, I personally simply can't do an inside; I'd go crazy. I did once and swore never again -- I need to see out. I don't even close the curtains when I'm sleeping. I'd skip the cruise before I'd sail in an inside. So, to me, not worth it. The ship isn't going anywhere after this voyage; either prices will come down on this cruise or else there'll be other, shorter and so more affordable itineraries to enjoy on her.

Like Pia and Annie, I couldn't do another inside cabin. It's fine for some but I have a "need" to know whether it's daylight out. Purely psychological but it bothered me that when I was in my cabin, I had no idea whether it was 2am or 2pm unless I turned on the TV.

T/A's have gotten very popular and some sell out well in advance. The Royal, being new, will command much higher prices than normal.

It all depends on whether or not you need to see light. We need to; others do not. I don't think it matters on the number of days at sea. On the contrary, with rough seas you'd be better with an inside.

That makes sense. I actually think I need to see light. I've sailed in an inside once and wasn't all that fond of it and my sister and her friend had an inside that I visited on the Sapphire and I found it a bit depressing. If I decide to book this I may take your advise on my other thread to book a guarantee. If I really think about it, an inside for 18 days would drive me crazy!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

I was reading this thread wondering about the psychology of light and then it hit me! I live in Alaska-where it is either dark most of the time or light most of the time. SO, I have learned not to care :)

That makes sense. I actually think I need to see light. I've sailed in an inside once and wasn't all that fond of it and my sister and her friend had an inside that I visited on the Sapphire and I found it a bit depressing. If I decide to book this I may take your advise on my other thread to book a guarantee. If I really think about it, an inside for 18 days would drive me crazy!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

I hope you realize that 65% of the ship was sold out on the first day. The TA will be going full and I doubt we will see prices get lower. Book asap, so at least you secure a reservation and then have more than a year to decide what to do.

We had a balcony on our TA last April, and the weather was such that we were rarely able to use it. That said, I would definitely book an ocean-view, for with so many sea days, you will likely spend some time in your room, and even though it's just water, you'll enjoy the view. We are taking another TA this April and booked a balcony again, in hopes of better weather! The price differential beween the guar. balcony and an O/V was insignificant.

First the Royal does not have any ocean views. Also you may be able to get a bit of a lower price by booking with a high end Travel agent. You know, ones that do many Princess bookings. They can sometimes get group rates. But to tell you the truth, I found the prices to be better than expected, especially considering the TA cruise is for 18 days. Like others, I suggest you book asap as the ship is filling up quickly.

Hi All

Only book insides these days, a cabin is for sleeping in nothing else,

if you want sun light you have plenty of deck space to sit or if its just a window plenty of bars, if you like being with others chatting away or getting involved with things it does not matter what type of cabin you have as you will not be in it much.

yours Shogun

I hope you realize that 65% of the ship was sold out on the first day. The TA will be going full and I doubt we will see prices get lower. Book asap, so at least you secure a reservation and then have more than a year to decide what to do.

In fact all categories went up $100 pp on Tuesday and the cheaper one's are gone. Don't delay on this one OP if you want to go.

I totally agree with Shogun, a cabin is for sleeping in and we have no problem with insides. We have done 2 TAs and like to make full use of the facilities on the ship so are rarely in our cabin during the day.

Wow. I just looked -- the differential could pay for another TA on one of the other ships! (I knew the all-balcony ship would be priced out of range for those of us who only book OCV cabins . . . nothing I like better than a good I-told-you-so moment!) That said, I personally simply can't do an inside; I'd go crazy. I did once and swore never again -- I need to see out. I don't even close the curtains when I'm sleeping. I'd skip the cruise before I'd sail in an inside. So, to me, not worth it. The ship isn't going anywhere after this voyage; either prices will come down on this cruise or else there'll be other, shorter and so more affordable itineraries to enjoy on her.

My thoughts exactly.

I guess all-balcony new-builds are going to be out of my price range - as a solo, I can get Obstr. OV's at 165%, but balconies are always 200%, and I prefer longer cruises so the single supplement rate is important. In fact, my next cruise is on a line other than Princess, only because I got a low supplement for a balcony cabin.

Hey Princess, how about giving us solos a break on the obstructed view balconies? I really don't want to be limited to only sailing the older ships.

(PS I'm just waiting for the threads on how obstructed the obstructed balcony cabins are!)

Archived