Help. I'm so confused with Royal's cabins

lovevacadays

So, I will admit I get a little frustrated doing extensive research on cabin categories as I know what I like on my fav Princess ships. I'm not that good at searching. Do you mind telling me what cabin locations and categories seem to be good on the Royal. I'm looking at minisuites and balconies.

So, I will admit I get a little frustrated doing extensive research on cabin categories as I know what I like on my fav Princess ships. I'm not that good at searching. Do you mind telling me what cabin locations and categories seem to be good on the Royal. I'm looking at minisuites and balconies.

Just do a guarantee, since your only choice is inside or something with a balcony.

Some of the same considerations hold true for this ship as the others: the dining rooms are aft, as is the HC. The fitness center and theatre are forward. Do you like to be closer to one or the other?

Do you like a high deck to feel motion or do you like to be near the IC?

The cheapest balconies are obstructed view; we don't at this point know how much/what kind of obstruction, so that's a crapshoot. The cheapest unobstructed balcony cabins are forward, so if you like that location in general, there you go. If not, then I'd do as Pia suggests and just take a guarantee and be surprised.

You're right, I never noticed the lack of mid ship stairs until you mentioned it. I hope that is an error on the diagrams. I prefer to take the stairs and that would suck if there were no mid ship stairs.

Actually the Fitness Center is aft on the Royal and the only direct access seems to be by elevator. Also, like the Grand, there is no mid-ship stair above the Public decks.

I never noticed the lack of stairs until you just mentioned it. That's what I hate about the Grand, especially if your cabin is midship and then you even need to take an elevator to go down one floor. Since we go to the fitness center first thing in the AM, we usually book a cabin forward. Ha ha.........did we just get burned. Oh well, a bit more exercise will be forthcoming.

I booked a guarantee balcony and will take my chances. Just so you know most all balcony's are covered. If you call Princess with a few cabin numbers that you like, they will tell you more about them. Some catagory's are booked up BTW, such as the aft balcony's. As far as the obstructed view cabins, it may be only a post or a solid rail instead of the plexiglass railings or it could be a lifeboat. That's why I stayed away from obstructed or partial obstructed views.

Due to the fact I have always booked direct with Princess I phoned them just now.

Customer Relations have been asked the question about lack of stairs on the middle decks above the Promenade .The answer is that there will be stairs there.With the haste the plans were put together so all could view these were left out.

I mentioned for a safety issue if there were only to be fore and aft stairs there would be very heavy congestion in an emergency with over 3000 clients clambering down.

Have mentioned that if there is an EM situation without middle stairs I will climb from my balcony into the life boat which from diagram is just to the left of my window.:D;)

Due to the fact I have always booked direct with Princess I phoned them just now.

Customer Relations have been asked the question about lack of stairs on the middle decks above the Promenade .The answer is that there will be stairs there.With the haste the plans were put together so all could view these were left out.

I mentioned for a safety issue if there were only to be fore and aft stairs there would be very heavy congestion in an emergency with over 3000 clients clambering down.

Have mentioned that if there is an EM situation without middle stairs I will climb from my balcony into the life boat which from diagram is just to the left of my window.:D;)

re: my comment about Grand stairs. The stairs are there. They use them during the muster time, but at other times only used for crew and not passengers. She told you there were stairs, but did she also tell you they were for passenger use?

I'm surprised by the "partially obstructed balcony" and "partially obstructed deluxe balcony" cabin categories. I never saw this category before on other ships and it will be interesting to get the perspective of cruisers after they sail in these cabins.

With the deck plans there is a statement about obstructed view balcony cabins which indicates that the obstruction will be a solid rail and not the clear blue Plexiglas like on other ships. It says that the balcony railing has "either solid steel or toughened glass railing" and that the type of view is determined by the type of railing.

My TA told me that's the way other cruise lines with solid railings determine whether it is an obstructed oceanview balcony or not. We selected an unobstructed oceanview balcony cabin because we didn't want to sit on our balcony chairs looking at the railing & the sky if in fact that will be the "obstruction".

re: my comment about Grand stairs. The stairs are there. They use them during the muster time, but at other times only used for crew and not passengers. She told you there were stairs, but did she also tell you they were for passenger use?

Just phoned Princess again and they have told me they are for passenger use.

See you soon in Singapore.......Heather:D

With the deck plans there is a statement about obstructed view balcony cabins which indicates that the obstruction will be a solid rail and not the clear blue Plexiglas like on other ships. It says that the balcony railing has "either solid steel or toughened glass railing" and that the type of view is determined by the type of railing.

My TA told me that's the way other cruise lines with solid railings determine whether it is an obstructed oceanview balcony or not. We selected an unobstructed oceanview balcony cabin because we didn't want to sit on our balcony chairs looking at the railing & the sky if in fact that will be the "obstruction".

Well if we get on board and these mid stairs are not there I would rather hitch my body over over a' toughened balcony' to my lifeboat. :D

All the' DV' like mine are sold out seems to have extra space compared to others.:D

Tell me what your favorite rooms are now, and why you like those rooms and I'll give you some comparables.;)

Well if we get on board and these mid stairs are not there I would rather hitch my body over over a' toughened balcony' to my lifeboat. :D

All the' DV' like mine are sold out seems to have extra space compared to others.:D

That's good that you have a cabin that makes you happy and it's nice to have options so each of us can find the best one for ourselves. :D

I prefer to sit on a chair on the balcony looking through the 'toughened glass' railing instead of looking at a metal railing & possibly having to stand up to see the ocean vs more balcony space. However that's just me and I can definitely understand why you would like the extra space.

Every time somebody "falls" overboard there are discussions in the news about whether the railing is sufficiently tall enough or not. I don't remember the regulations being changed however I wonder if Princess would make them slightly taller to be in compliance with any proposed regulation changes for the future.

I think that most of us realize that no matter how tall the railing, it will not prevent those who "fall", or more correctly "jump" from a ship. However that doesn't prevent regulators from making such changes when there is a public outcry about a perceived problem whether there actually is one or not. :rolleyes:

M414 and M415 seem to have an angled extended balcony... Those are mini-suites... I would probably jump on those! Most mini-suites are already almost all sold out!

That's good that you have a cabin that makes you happy and it's nice to have options so each of us can find the best one for ourselves. :D

I prefer to sit on a chair on the balcony looking through the 'toughened glass' railing instead of looking at a metal railing & possibly having to stand up to see the ocean vs more balcony space. However that's just me and I can definitely understand why you would like the extra space.

Every time somebody "falls" overboard there are discussions in the news about whether the railing is sufficiently tall enough or not. I don't remember the regulations being changed however I wonder if Princess would make them slightly taller to be in compliance with any proposed regulation changes for the future.

I think that most of us realize that no matter how tall the railing, it will not prevent those who "fall", or more correctly "jump" from a ship. However that doesn't prevent regulators from making such changes when there is a public outcry about a perceived problem whether there actually is one or not. :rolleyes:

Not fully obstructed these usually have some view.

Tell me what your favorite rooms are now, and why you like those rooms and I'll give you some comparables.;)

I like minisuites and don't mind being from mid ship to aft. Not that fond of forward I actually have enjoyed the mini's on Dolphin deck but it looks like all mini's and balconies are covered on the Royal. I like the extra room in the mini's and the larger balcony. In regards to balcony cabins I've liked the ones on the Sapphire, completely aft on Aloha because of the ability to walk out that back door and be on the aft pool deck area. However, don't typically like being below a public space. I've cruised once on Plaza deck in an outside and liked the location but really like it when I can have a balcony. I like the balconies that have the plexiglass that you can see through as opposed to the metal.

I guess it is just all those categories they have now. I need to really take some time and review them and probably won't feel quite as confused.

M414 and M415 seem to have an angled extended balcony... Those are mini-suites... I would probably jump on those! Most mini-suites are already almost all sold out!

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. If I do just a Caribbean sailing I would book a mini. If I decide I can do the TA and there are still cabins I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a mini for 18 days. And, not good for me, I don't have any FCC's right now. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out. If I do just a Caribbean sailing I would book a mini. If I decide I can do the TA and there are still cabins I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a mini for 18 days. And, not good for me, I don't have any FCC's right now. Decisions, decisions.

Try to catch a TA who is running a $100 deposit special.

I like minisuites and don't mind being from mid ship to aft. Not that fond of forward I actually have enjoyed the mini's on Dolphin deck but it looks like all mini's and balconies are covered on the Royal. I like the extra room in the mini's and the larger balcony. In regards to balcony cabins I've liked the ones on the Sapphire, completely aft on Aloha because of the ability to walk out that back door and be on the aft pool deck area. However, don't typically like being below a public space. I've cruised once on Plaza deck in an outside and liked the location but really like it when I can have a balcony. I like the balconies that have the plexiglass that you can see through as opposed to the metal.

I guess it is just all those categories they have now. I need to really take some time and review them and probably won't feel quite as confused.

Nobody knows what the obstructed balconies will be like until they are occupied for the first time.

I feel great that travelling solo I have a balcony for the first time and my room is also a deluxe one with extra room and that I can afford the double price this time.Whether it has a clear ,metal or strengthened bar it is a step up for me from ocean view and I look forward to the experience very much indeed.:D

I agree the new categories will be easier when everyone has a chance to study them a bit. A lot of the confusion went away for me when I put the deck plans side by side for the existing ships and saw what changed. That said, the Royal tosses in a turn or two because of the new deluxe balconies, which to me are sort of a hybrid between a mini and a balcony.

So, first choice is to choose mini(M), deluxe balcony(D), or regular balcony (B).

Then, based on your mid to aft and non-public preference, I would say you would be happiest with a B or D grade cabin within those types. Or a 4 grade if you want a fully aft facing cabin. On the Royal, those types are all available on several different decks, from the Riviera deck (14) all the way down to the Dolphin deck (9), so you are able to choose between higher and lower decks with the same cabin grades.

To compare the cabins you already know and love, using the Crown as an example:

-A mini on Dolphin deck from the midships stairs to the aft will be MB, or MD the further aft you go. Split is about halfway down in the region of cabin#616/618.

-The balconies directly above those mid to aft minis will be BB and BD on Caribe, Baja, and Aloha.

-Riviera deck, because it is under the public Lido, is downgraded one level, so its balconies are BC and BE.

-Aft facing balconies are going to be grade B4, the top grade of balcony on the existing ships.

Does that help?

I agree the new categories will be easier when everyone has a chance to study them a bit. A lot of the confusion went away for me when I put the deck plans side by side for the existing ships and saw what changed. That said, the Royal tosses in a turn or two because of the new deluxe balconies, which to me are sort of a hybrid between a mini and a balcony.

So, first choice is to choose mini(M), deluxe balcony(D), or regular balcony (B).

Then, based on your mid to aft and non-public preference, I would say you would be happiest with a B or D grade cabin within those types. Or a 4 grade if you want a fully aft facing cabin. On the Royal, those types are all available on several different decks, from the Riviera deck (14) all the way down to the Dolphin deck (9), so you are able to choose between higher and lower decks with the same cabin grades.

To compare the cabins you already know and love, using the Crown as an example:

-A mini on Dolphin deck from the midships stairs to the aft will be MB, or MD the further aft you go. Split is about halfway down in the region of cabin#616/618.

-The balconies directly above those mid to aft minis will be BB and BD on Caribe, Baja, and Aloha.

-Riviera deck, because it is under the public Lido, is downgraded one level, so its balconies are BC and BE.

-Aft facing balconies are going to be grade B4, the top grade of balcony on the existing ships.

Does that help?

Thank you so much! It really does help. Great idea, too, to put the deck plans side by side. I sincerely appreciate your help

Nobody knows what the obstructed balconies will be like until they are occupied for the first time.

I feel great that travelling solo I have a balcony for the first time and my room is also a deluxe one with extra room and that I can afford the double price this time.Whether it has a clear ,metal or strengthened bar it is a step up for me from ocean view and I look forward to the experience very much indeed.:D

That's fabulous! A balcony is wonderful no matter what. I do like the plexiglass ones but would cruise in whatever one I could at the time.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Archived