Single lady 60 yrs UK- Seabourn a good choice?

fraj1

Hi - returning to cruising, now as a single lady, and wanting to try a luxury line, is Seabourn a good choice for singles? Any advice ? Many thanks.

a great choice - the only downside is the outrageous single supplement. My friend is looking at Silversea as an alternative.

I just returned from my third trip as a single on Seabourn. From my viewpoint the service is better if you ARE a single! I agree that the smaller ships make it easier to meet people, but the people who travel with Seabourn seem to be outgoing for the most part. And I have found there are many different nationalities represented.

On the older ships Seabourn left invitations in the cabins for single travelers to dine at hosted tables.I haven't yet been on the newer ships so I don't know if that is still the practice. Maybe someone here can add to this . Seabourn did a good job with this i thought .

Also, I have noticed, certainly on the larger ships, that the Social Hostess has a 'coffee corner' in the Square each morning, for people (admittedly mostly ladies) to meet - I am sure a good way to make new acquantainces and maybe friends. And you should ask, although I think it would be forthcoming anyway, to be included on hosted tables, where you meet other singles and also couples.

You will have a wonderful time on your own cruising Seabourn. I travelled solo last year on a 14 day transatlantic as my husband, at the last minute, wasn't able to take the cruise. I decided, a bit reluctantly, to go it alone. And, (I would never admit this to my husband;)), but it was my best cruise...ever. Made lots of friends and had wonderful conversations and experiences. Go for it!

Thank you all so much for replying.....this is really helpful...still pondering at the moment but this was crucial info to start me off with! I can tick the 'Ok for single ladies' box now !!! Thanks again.....

I would suggest starting with one of the small ships. I met fewer people on our Quest cruise than we usually have on our small ship cruises.

And here is an question for my fellow Seabourn travlers. My husband and I are very sensitive that traveling alone can be awkward so we go out of our way to introduce ourselves to our fellow passengers traveling solo and invite them to join us for lunch or dinner.

On our Quest cruise a funny thing happend. We were sitting alone at a table for 4 in the shade having lunch by the Pool Grill on day and a lady came up with her lunch plate and asked if she could join us. We smiled and said, " Of course." So she promptly sat down and ate her lunch never once looking up to acknowledge our presence or even introduce herself. I know I perhaps should have intruded on her lunch and taken the initiative and introduced myself as I usually do but she acted as if we were not even there. So my question is doen't the protocol in this situation put the responsibility one her to introduce herself ?Anyway I did think this was rather strange. But we did meet another lovely single lady from Switzerland at the Coffee Bar and invited her to join us for dinner and had a delightful time.

I would suggest starting with one of the small ships. I met fewer people on our Quest cruise than we usually have on our small ship cruises.

And here is an question for my fellow Seabourn travlers. My husband and I are very sensitive that traveling alone can be awkward so we go out of our way to introduce ourselves to our fellow passengers traveling solo and invite them to join us for lunch or dinner.

On our Quest cruise a funny thing happend. We were sitting alone at a table for 4 in the shade having lunch by the Pool Grill on day and a lady came up with her lunch plate and asked if she could join us. We smiled and said, " Of course." So she promptly sat down and ate her lunch never once looking up to acknowledge our presence or even introduce herself. I know I perhaps should have intruded on her lunch and taken the initiative and introduced myself as I usually do but she acted as if we were not even there. So my question is doen't the protocol in this situation put the responsibility one her to introduce herself ?Anyway I did think this was rather strange. But we did meet another lovely single lady from Switzerland at the Coffee Bar and invited her to join us for dinner and had a delightful time.

I think you must have met my neighbor at your lunch!

So sorry for you. In retrospect I think I should have introduced myself anyway then she could have continued to ingore us but at least my conscience would be clear. I usually try to put myself in the other person's position -- maybe she was just painfully shy.It is funny because there was another single woman I met as we entered the Club party and we asked her if she would like to sit with us. When the reception broke up I asked her if she would like to have dinner with us one evening. Her response was," Let me call you at the last minute -- I really want to dine with the captain and don't want to make any commitments." At least she was up front! But again, this has really been the exception. Most of the single travelers whom we have met have been lovely people who seemd to appreciate having the option of dining with their fellow passengers.

Archived