Jacques Van Staden: No longer with Celebrity

C 2 C

This quote is from Celebrity's website:

The visual feast that comes to life in the pages of Celebrity Cruises' new lifestyle book, Excite the Senses , has inspired a new series of food-and-wine-themed cruises that will offer guests a unique, behind-the-scenes experience and a rare opportunity to get to know the Celebrity culinary team through intimate demonstrations, tastings and dinners. Developed and hosted by the talent behind the cruise line's award-winning culinary program, Celebrity's "Excite the Senses Culinary Theme Cruises" will kick off on March 24, 2012, on a seven-night sailing headlined by Celebrity's Master Chef and Vice President of Culinary Operations, the James Beard Foundation Award-nominated Jacques Van Staden. "Every Celebrity cruise is a modern luxury vacation, and a large part of that is the culinary experience," said Van Staden.

It is now common knowledge among the staff on board Millennium that Jacques and Celebrity have parted company. I am sure a news release will soon come from Celebrity.

Hi Arno,

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm surprised to hear, especially on the timing, as Celebrity was just introducing new MDR menus. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity has to say about it.

Wouldn't it be something if the new menus are loved by Celebrity's Guests ? At any rate, I wish Chef Van Staden much success in his future projects.

And the cold soups:rolleyes:

What will happen with Quisine, I thought he was behind that?

Hopefully they can get someone who will rev up the menus and make us all look forward to a wonderful Celebrity meal!

Bev

Hi Bev,

I highly doubt this news affects Qsine. While he may have created it (not enitely sure on that one), I have to believe Qsine will remain on Celebrity's ships.

Who says miracles don't happen?

"quick chef Ramsay, get in there before anyone notices". (just joking)

Seriously, I felt that it was time for a new person with fresh drive and enthusiasm to lead the dining room. Even the Swedish Chef from the muppet show would bring in some humor

Perhaps now I will get my x-mas pudding

Couple statements from Celebrity's PR dept. (Nothing specific to Qsine):

Jacques' departure:

Jacques left Celebrity to pursue other career interests. We do not know the specifics of his plans. Celebrity's Associate Vice President of Food & Beverage Operations, Scott Steenrod, will lead the F&B group and handle day-to-day management. Our culinary team -- both shipboard and shoreside -- will continue to exhibit and apply the immense creativity, ingenuity and passion that are reflected in every dish we serve onboard. We will continue to recruit and retain the finest hospitality professionals from around the world. And, of course, we will continue to listen intently to our guests and consistently aim to deliver an exceptional and widely varied dining experience that meets their desires, just as we always have.

Seeking a celebrity chef replacement (common trend)?

No. The innovative dining experience we offer doesn't need the validation of a celebrity chef; it speaks for itself. Our own incredible team onboard and on shore provide our guests across the fleet with sophisticated, globally influenced and artfully presented cuisine in stunningly designed restaurants that rival the finest on land or sea, and our service is impeccable, as supported by consistently high ratings from our guests, in addition to an ever-expanding array of culinary awards and honors.

Please, if van Staden is gone, convert Qsine to Silk Harvest.

There is a reason Qsine is being added to all the new ships and the last three M-Class ships to be Solsticized - it is extremely popular. While it is not for everybody, far more like Qsine over Silk Harvest. Personally I like them both, but much prefer Qsine as restaurants like Silk Harvest are a dime a dozen on land.

There is a reason Qsine is being added to all the new ships and the last three M-Class ships to be Solsticized - it is extremely popular. While it is not for everybody, far more like Qsine over Silk Harvest. Personally I like them both, but much prefer Qsine as restaurants like Silk Harvest are a dime a dozen on land.

Hi Gonzo,

I agree that Qsine is very popular, though I haven't tried it yet. I'm totally looking forward to it when we sail on Eclipse in 18 days. We are booked for Qsine early in our cruise. It should be a lot of fun !

Before I sail, I must search this forum to get tips on what to order :).

Hi Gonzo,

I agree that Qsine is very popular, though I haven't tried it yet. I'm totally looking forward to it when we sail on Eclipse in 18 days. We are booked for Qsine early in our cruise. It should be a lot of fun !

Try the meatballs. :)

We really enjoyed Qisine alot. We are generally not very adventuresome eaters (DH) and we were very surprised how much we enjoyed it! There really is something for everyone Our server asked us about our likes/dislikes and made some recomendations for us. We spent a very enjoyable 2 hrs there taking our time.

Make sure to save room for desert(s) and the pitcher of Sangria is the best drink value around. We each had 2 and a half large glassfulls and wished we could have had it every night in the MDR!

Bev

Hi Everyone,

For those who are wondering, I've been told by Celebrity that Qsine will remain. Not that I expected anything different... but there you have it.

Hi Gonzo,

Hi Andy,

Our group thought some of the best were Lava Crab, M's favorites which has a lot of things in a stacked box ( goat cheese cigars and baby lamb chops were favorites in this presentation), sliders, Painters Mignon and Baby Back Spring Rolls.

Archived