Jacques Van Staden: No longer with Celebrity

C 2 C

Qsine is a novelty, I could do it twice in a cruse, any more and it would lose its fun factor.

My other thought and this is not a dig, just an observation, but there seems to be a lot more top male chefs than female chefs. Yet more women cook domestically than men, so I know most women can cook, especially as most husbands like their dinner on the table when they come home after a hard day at work, (ok that was intended as a jovial wind up - don't take it personally)

So how about putting a woman in charge of food? Come on ladies of the forum not one of you has suggested a female head chef to take over from JVS.

They had a woman--wasn't she the one just before JVS? (can't quite recall the name..Blau?? ) Under her we were supposed to get lite bites as appetizers or something like that...she did not last very long..

There were mixed reactions to the new menu on the Eclipse with more experienced and health concerned guests liking it and newer, younger cruisers not. There is a new menu, but not the Eclipse menu now being introduced on Millennium. Last night I was invited to taste a new chocolate cake and it was wonderful. Lobster and Chateaubriand on menu tonight. Food has been outstanding on Millie,

We are a group of 10 just off the Infinity and everyone enjoyed the new menus. We found overall the food was excellent in the MDR. We also went one night to Qsine and had a fun-filled "fulfilling" time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My other thought and this is not a dig, just an observation, but there seems to be a lot more top male chefs than female chefs. Yet more women cook domestically than men, so I know most women can cook, especially as most husbands like their dinner on the table when they come home after a hard day at work, (ok that was intended as a jovial wind up - don't take it personally)

So how about putting a woman in charge of food? Come on ladies of the forum not one of you has suggested a female head chef to take over from JVS.

No thanks. I'm quite happy to let a man cook for me.;)

Hi Arno,

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm surprised to hear, especially on the timing, as Celebrity was just introducing new MDR menus. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity has to say about it.

Wouldn't it be something if the new menus are loved by Celebrity's Guests ? At any rate, I wish Chef Van Staden much success in his future projects.

I have been reading a lot of posts concerning the "new menu". What exactly is on or off the old menu to make it the "new menu"

Hi Arno,

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm surprised to hear, especially on the timing, as Celebrity was just introducing new MDR menus. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity has to say about it.

Wouldn't it be something if the new menus are loved by Celebrity's Guests ? At any rate, I wish Chef Van Staden much success in his future projects.

I have been reading a lot of posts concerning the "new menu". What exactly is on or off the old menu to make it the "new menu"

No more esgargot available nightly!

They tell us that the lack of escargot is a temporary thing, due to insufficient quantities of the product at the source. Time will tell. It has been replaced with crab-stuffed mushrooms.

Gone from the every night menu are the caprese salad, the lobster bisque, the baked potatoes. Gone are the chilled fruit soups. Some main dishes of the past, such as osso bucco, are back.

We've also heard that Chateaubriand & Rack of Lamb are back.

And for both of these, given the lead time re resourcing and rechecking menus, these must have been decisions taken during JVS's reign

That's true. Chateaubriand was quite good. Over 1300 lobster tails served. Petit Filet tonight.

Thanks very much Orator. How are they presenting the Lobster tail ? Is it served with Shrimp ? I wasn't pleased with the last Lobster entree - the Seafood Medley.

I wish you a wonderful Cruise !

Thanks very much Orator. How are they presenting the Lobster tail ? Is it served with Shrimp ? I wasn't pleased with the last Lobster entree - the Seafood Medley.

I wish you a wonderful Cruise !

Don't know how it was presented, but it looked like a substantial size. The new menus are really very much like the former menus of several years ago. Last night they introducd the MDR staff and Exec Chef. Very loud and entergetic reception. I've been on 4 different ships since Novemebr for at least 2 weeks per ship and I feel that Millie has the best food quality. The Exec Chef goes the extra step to please and it is most appreciated.

They tell us that the lack of escargot is a temporary thing, due to insufficient quantities of the product at the source. Time will tell. It has been replaced with crab-stuffed mushrooms.

Gone from the every night menu are the caprese salad, the lobster bisque, the baked potatoes. Gone are the chilled fruit soups. Some main dishes of the past, such as osso bucco, are back.

Thanks to everyone for all your answers about the new menu. I have to say i don't understand why they would be eliminating baked potatoes. I can't imagine it would be a cost factor.

Thanks to everyone for all your answers about the new menu. I have to say i don't understand why they would be eliminating baked potatoes. I can't imagine it would be a cost factor.

Hi Kelani,

I must say, the "Great Baked Potato Caper of 2012" has me puzzled. I asked Celebrity about it several weeks ago, and was told that Baked Potatoe would remain on the Menu. Yet, some Guests have said they were available, and others have said not so. Might they are available upon request ? I will see for myself, when we sail on Eclipse in 2 weeks.

I can't possibly see why they would be eliminated, as they are fairly inexpensive, and enjoyed by so many. If in fact they are not offered, Celebrity should reconsider this decision.

Hi Kelani,

I must say, the "Great Baked Potato Caper of 2012" has me puzzled. I asked Celebrity about it several weeks ago, and was told that Baked Potatoe would remain on the Menu. Yet, some Guests have said they were available, and others have said not so. Might they are available upon request ? I will see for myself, when we sail on Eclipse in 2 weeks.

I can't possibly see why they would be eliminated, as they are fairly inexpensive, and enjoyed by so many. If in fact they are not offered, Celebrity should reconsider this decision.

Andy,

I couldn't agree with you more. I have enjoyed them & hope they keep them on the menu. Enjoy your cruise & i hope you can solve the mystery of the vanishing potato.

Andy,

I couldn't agree with you more. I have enjoyed them & hope they keep them on the menu. Enjoy your cruise & i hope you can solve the mystery of the vanishing potato.

Thank you Kelani. No worries, I'm on the case :)

mr-potato-head.jpg

Don't know how it was presented, but it looked like a substantial size. The new menus are really very much like the former menus of several years ago. Last night they introducd the MDR staff and Exec Chef. Very loud and entergetic reception. I've been on 4 different ships since Novemebr for at least 2 weeks per ship and I feel that Millie has the best food quality. The Exec Chef goes the extra step to please and it is most appreciated.

Great news! Boarding Millennium later today with DS who has never sailed with Celebrity.

Linda

Please don't remind them-- the rumors were use of I pads in the MDR--not exactly in keeping with fine dining...

Point well taken.:D I'm glad someone else recalls the same announcement and the reaction on these boards at the time.:)

I must say, however, some well-established and highly rated land-based restaurants now use IPads or other type of tablet to take diners' orders and immediately forward them to the kitchen electronically. :)

Lose the high profile chefs and spend the money on better quality ingredients. You can have all the fancy trimmings you like but if the ingredients are inferior quality then what is the point of calling it fine dining?

Lose the high profile chefs and spend the money on better quality ingredients. You can have all the fancy trimmings you like but if the ingredients are inferior quality then what is the point of calling it fine dining?

tine tine - I agree with you completely :)

Judging by the passion on this thread, the way to a passengers heart is through his or her stomach :rolleyes:

My advice:

Keep Blu as it is

Keep Qsine as it is

Keep the wonderful guava sorbet

For marketing and bragging rights, get a high profile celebrity chef. It is ironical that Celebrity, which pioneered the trend of celeb chefs with Michel Roux, is now one of the few lines without a celeb chef!

Archived