Packing light with RCL's recommended attire for dinner

My DH really doesn't like tuxes and it would cost $260 for tuxes for both of the B2B cruises and I KNOW he wouldn't like that since he's not fond of them to begin with! :D

Linda (and C. D.)

My DH refuses to wear a tux, but is comfortable in a suit or tie. I have also seen plenty of guys admitted with a sports coat and ties.

Best advice I've seen is bring your suit or jacket and send for dry cleaning or pressing as soon as you unpack. It returns for the first formal night looking fresh, and nicely pressed.

I once shared a table with a lovely gentleman who wore a sports coat and tie, and had sneakers for footwear. First formal night he causally mentioned lost luggage, but by the end of the week he admitted he always dresses like that on cruises because he felt at 80+ years he deserved to be comfortable and his lost luggage was lost in the back of his closet.

The biggest challenge for the 2 small suitcase approach is my suit for formal night. Ladies can pack lightweight items dressy enough, but men don't have much choice except a suit, etc. How do you folks that travel so light handle the bulk & weight of a man's suit & accessories? Skip formal night in the MDR ?

Thanks for your input

Wear the suit on the plane? Many years ago people used to actually get dressed up to fly.

We always try to keep the luggage to a min. as well. I hate lugging around a bunch of stuff when it's just the two of us. For formal nights I have one short dress that rolls up very small and then I also have chiffon gown that I can roll up and it does not wrinkle. For his suit. I found when I folded the suit it was very bulky, so I lay out the jacket on the bottom of the suitcase and then pack all the clothes inside of it and rest the arms on top of the clothes. He takes two shirts and four ties. And that way he has two suits for formal nights and two shirts and ties for specialty restaurants. He only wears the shirts and suit for dinner so it's not like they get dirty.

Thank you for all of the information. We are going on 8 and 7 night back to back's in Europe. I am a diamond member but I don't remember about the laundry coupons or bag laundry specials. Haven't done a back to back in a while. Usually we go on 7 night cruises and the packing is easier. Thanks again.

I have a very large purse that is my personal bag on the plane. In additional to regular stuff like wallet, passport, etc. I use the big purse as another carryon for anything and everything that's light weight and is a fabric that can be rolled easily. I wear it crossbody, so my hands stay free for my regular carryon and then my one checked bag. I pack a smaller purse to use once I'm at my destination.

-I've invested a lot of money over the years in lightweight travel clothing. It doesn't weigh much, packs tiny, doesn't wrinkle or show dirt or " feel" dirty. These new materials aren't cheap, but I buy them if I see them on sale and have pretty much assembled a pretty large cache of travel clothes that I really only use for travel.

-I limit shoes to one pair of dress up shoes/sandals ( which I don't need or pack if it's an adventure trip) and one pair of amphibious closed toe sandals that I can use for beach, pool, hikes, and casual, sometimes I pack my sneakers for workouts, if I have the space.

- I use my workout wear as casual day clothes before my workout on sea days (lightweight capris, bra top and jacket) so it get double duty. If its nice and sunny I change into my bathing suit, so I don't wear "an outfit" on sea days till dinner.

- I do as someone above mentioned and wear bottoms 2-3 times and change out the top.

- I wear lightweight Lycra spandex dresses or sun dresses for dress up.

-carry 3 oz sizes of only my cosmetics I can't buy just anywhere ( all my makeup and anti aging potions;-)and I use the toiletries provided for hair, lotion etc. Or if cruising, buy larger bottles at port and leave them for the crew afterwards.

- I use my back pack as my day bag in port, and carry my tiny wristlet purse for evening. I use a fold up beach bag to tote towels in warm ports.

- only pack for 5 days, and always plan to have stuff either sent out for laundry, or do it oursleves ( mostly send out unless self laundry is convenient and doesn't waste a day)

Most trips I can travel with a roll on board bag and a back pack; sometimes on a Caribbean cruise we splurge and check a garment bag to be able to bring a couple of extra pairs of shoes, DH's suit and we can pack enough sun lotion that way too:D.

We don't usually pack this light to save money ( DH usually gets free checked bags due to airline status) but really to lighten the load; nothing is worse than having to keep track of loads of stuff especially on a multi leg or land based trip. It's just not worth the hassle! As long as you don't stink, no one is going to care if you wear the same stuff over and over again:p

This is the exact problem we're facing. We are taking B2B cruises (21 days total) followed by a 9 day land tour. The flight overseas is not a problem with suitcases for the cruises but on the land tour we are restricted to 1 suitcase each plus a VERY small carry-on (tote bag size, not rollaboard size). There will be 6 formal nights on the two cruises and I really don't want to have to eat in the buffet for all 6 nights. My dress clothes don't take much space as I follow what many have written--1 pr of black dressy knit pants with 2 or 3 lightweight sparkly tops. It is the suit for DH that is the problem. Sure hope someone has a good solution!!!

Linda (and C. D.)

Expensive but you can ship luggage home. (I am too cheap). Have DH wear suit jacket for flight. DH has a light weight black suit not a heavy thick one so the slacks are not really heavy. Take only a couple of dress shirts and have them laundered as needed. I have more problems with his large shoes. We take one pair black dress (lightest he owns). Its a hassle at the airport but he can wear his 'walking shoes' on the plane. Plan on laundry on the ship - try to plan the timing so most of your stuff is clean before the land tour.

Jeans - are heavy and take up a lot of room - wear one pair on the plane. If you have to take a second pair for either of you look for thinner denims that take up less space. Take a collapsible bag when you start out. Take DH's old polos (or the one's he doesn't like too much), ditto for his undies and socks, same for your old tops. Throw them out before the land portion.

Last cruise we were on we took 2 suitcases for a 10 cruise, but since we were leaving out of NY and not flying it wasn't that big of a deal besides disembarking on our own and carrying them down the stairs.

This year we are going on a 7 day cruise and spending 5 additional days in Europe. We're going to be moving around a lot between getting to hotels, the airport, and ship, so I am thinking I'd like to try to smash everything into one suit case.

I would typically change to a more dressy outfit for dinner even if it wasn't formal night but I am thinking of forgoing this and wearing whatever I am wearing that day unless it's formal night. I would also usually bring full sizes of shampoo and conditioner with me but I am thinking of finding travel sizes instead to take up less room.

So does anyone have any space saving tips that will allow me to wear the appropriate attire for dinner per RCI's recommendations, but not require two pieces of luggage?

Let's start with the basics - are you male of female?

Are you trying to get 2 people into 1 suitcase for 12 days? or 1 suitcase per person?

I use the 2 gallon zip lock bags.

I mix and match as much as possible. One pair of evening shoes, one pair of sandals and I wear sneakers as they are the bulkiest.

For casual evenings I will wear a skirt or slacks. I take one skirt, one pair of slacks. The ist formal night I have an outfit. The 2nd formal night I wear my slacks with a beaded jacket.

Evening tops. After the day at the pool I shower and put on a clean top for dinner and shows. I use a scarf or piece of jewelry to dress up the top. The next day, I use that same top for breakfast or tours.

I go to WalMart/Target and check their travel section for small sizes of shampoo, deodorant, body wash, mouthwash, toothpaste and Downy wrinkle release spray (I use a large bottle to fill my small spray bottle)...This all gets packed in a quart size zip bag. (to capture potential spills) At the end of the cruise most of these items can be tossed out to make room for souvenirs. Tan lotions are also packed in plastic bags.

Packing for 2 people in one suitcase for 12 days??? We prefer smaller suitcases to one large suitcase as the smaller ones are easier to handle.

I will fold my tops and hubby's shirts using tissue paper. About 4 shirts will fit into one 2 gallon zip bag. Underwear, bathing suits, socks, coverups, nightwear...all get packed in the 2 gallon bags. My jewelry is planned out day by day and packed in sandwich bags all of those bags are placed in a larger bag.

I line my suitcases (1 each) with plastic dry cleaner bags since one cruise/or flight someone else's bag had a liquid spill that seeped into my suitcase. I then put in my hubby's jacket, my sequin jacket, my long skirt, our slacks. These tend to flow over the edges of the suitcase when spread out.

Shoes go in next. I stuff whatever I can into the shoes. Then the 2 gallon bags are placed in suitcase. Then I fold the slacks, jacket, skirts over the plastic bags and I am done.

I have small packets for meds that I got at WalMart. While they say you need the original container, I have never had a problem using my daily packets. These go in my carryon. I put them in a quart bag and place that bag in the special Xray bin used for airport security. Jewelry - while not expensive - also goes in my carryon.

Once onboard after my suitcase arrives, I can just toss the bag of underwear, bathing suits, my tops in a drawer. Hubby's shirts can be hung on a hanger. Unpacking is very quick and easy.

I use the empty 2 gallon bags to store the dirty clothing. Either in the evening before climbing into bed or the next morning, I will fold the items worn the day before and put them in a zip lock. When the bag is full, I toss it into the suitcase. If I need more room in my suitcase, I slightly open the seal on a ziplock bag, sit on the bag and use my weight to move the air out of the bag and then quickly zip the bag shut. This typically only works when you are ready to close up the suitcase and head for the plane. Too soon and the air gets back in the bag. At this point, wrinkles are not a consideration.

For BtoB cruises take advantage of the ships laundry. Towards the end of the cruise they usually have a special...whatever fits into the bag is done for a flat rate.

Take DH's old polos (or the one's he doesn't like too much), ditto for his undies and socks, same for your old tops. Throw them out before the land portion.

To each his own, I guess, but if I have clothes that are so old and worn that they are ready to be thrown away, I certainly don't want to wear them on my vacation! ;)

We haven't gone yet but are facing a similar situation. We will be gone for 3 weeks with 1 week being European cruise and the rest training through France and ending up in London. We are fortunate that our married DD and her DH are joining us for the cruise. We DID look into shipping a bag home from Barcelona - $500-700!!! No thanks. We will pack our formal and cruise only items in one suitcase for the two of us. The kids will check the extra bag back to the states. Getting it from Washington state will be a lot cheaper than sending it from Europe or we can wait for those items until we see the kids.

We have already determined that we will pack for 5 days which we can easily do in small roller suitcases and have a backpack or carry on each. We can walk 10 blocks if needed with a suitcase each. We plan on doing laundry for the undies on ship with the special then half-way through the trip. If we need to do more at another stop, we can always do that.

I hadn't thought of the toiletry issues needing so much but will probably just take 2 3oz bottles of what I need. One set will be TSA approved and the other in checked bag.

Still working on the shoes dilemma haha

Expensive but you can ship luggage home. (I am too cheap). Have DH wear suit jacket for flight. DH has a light weight black suit not a heavy thick one so the slacks are not really heavy. Take only a couple of dress shirts and have them laundered as needed. I have more problems with his large shoes. We take one pair black dress (lightest he owns). Its a hassle at the airport but he can wear his 'walking shoes' on the plane. Plan on laundry on the ship - try to plan the timing so most of your stuff is clean before the land tour.

Jeans - are heavy and take up a lot of room - wear one pair on the plane. If you have to take a second pair for either of you look for thinner denims that take up less space. Take a collapsible bag when you start out. Take DH's old polos (or the one's he doesn't like too much), ditto for his undies and socks, same for your old tops. Throw them out before the land portion.

My thinking is similar on several things you mentioned. DH has a pair of lighterweight denim jeans and we will take those. Have also thought about packing a few things that are perfectly fine but we're tired of or have replaced with "newer and better" and throwing them away. Have a dressy top that was a gift that I really don't care for (don't like the pattern or the colors) and will most likely take it and discard. Its actually fairly new and looks fine, it's just not my style preference. Lots of things to consider.

I always do the travel size containers of anything I can--shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, shower gel, etc. Something else I do is to pack three bottles of water in a gallon ziplock bag--then I don't have to buy so much water and I have more weight and room for souvenirs coming home. This gives me roughly 3 extra pounds of weight to use on our return trip. Course we take our luggage scales checking the suitcase weight before we leave home and again when packing to come back home.

Linda (and C. D.)

I have small packets for meds that I got at WalMart. While they say you need the original container, I have never had a problem using my daily packets. These go in my carryon. I put them in a quart bag and place that bag in the special Xray bin used for airport security.

You can ask your pharmacist to print an extra "label" and then just carry them flat along with your pills in plastic bags or one big pill case for all your pills rather than carrying all the pill bottles which can be quite bulky.

To each his own, I guess, but if I have clothes that are so old and worn that they are ready to be thrown away, I certainly don't want to wear them on my vacation! ;)

My mom does this but I just can never bring myself to bring shabby stuff unless I am doing an adventure/nature vacation; and then I am not throwing things out but leaving them with local guides and staff to distribute among their friends or relatives in a local village.

I like to pack light, but walking around the European capitols in my gardening clothes...I just can't take it to that level;)

The "packets" I refer to are small 3" X 3" plastic zip bags. I put all of my meds for one day in the bag. One bag for each day plus one or two extra just to be safe. So I am not carrying bulky pill bottles. I have done this over 10 years and never had a problem with the meds not being in the original container. They go through the XRay machines and I have never been questioned about the meds.

Last cruise we were on we took 2 suitcases for a 10 cruise, but since we were leaving out of NY and not flying it wasn't that big of a deal besides disembarking on our own and carrying them down the stairs.

This year we are going on a 7 day cruise and spending 5 additional days in Europe. We're going to be moving around a lot between getting to hotels, the airport, and ship, so I am thinking I'd like to try to smash everything into one suit case.

I would typically change to a more dressy outfit for dinner even if it wasn't formal night but I am thinking of forgoing this and wearing whatever I am wearing that day unless it's formal night. I would also usually bring full sizes of shampoo and conditioner with me but I am thinking of finding travel sizes instead to take up less room.

So does anyone have any space saving tips that will allow me to wear the appropriate attire for dinner per RCI's recommendations, but not require two pieces of luggage?

We bring a lot of quick dry wrinkle free clothes. so we need only 1 or 2 workout shorts and shirts that we wash every night and most of my

casual shirts are the same. I also keep telling myself they have laundry service if needed

We did 19 days in Europe last summer (including a 7 day cruise) with one carry-on each and a backpack. This includes a DH who is 300 lbs with big, bulky clothing.

We did laundry twice in Rome (9 days there) and once onboard.

What did I pack?

Laptop, cords, 2 iphones with 1 cord, 1 ipad, 1 camera with cords, 1 Nook with cord, meds (DH has diabetes and a lot of meds), 1 change of clothes for both of us. This was in the backpack.

I wore: running shoes, sweater, t-shirt, capri pants, undies, bra

In my suitcase (female):

2 sets of running gear (shorts, bras, tops)

2 bras

5 socks

6 undies

1 dressier sandals

1 flip flops

4 capri pants

7 tops

1 PJs

My bathroom bag went into my bag and contained: 2, 3oz conditioner, 1 3 oz shampoo (free shampoo at hotel/cruise), comb, brush, face soap (in small travel container), eye cream, moisturizer, 2 electric toothbrushes, 2 deodorants, nail file, nail clippers, face pads, allergy pills, emergency kit, floss, toner, hair elastics

We had a flat duffel bag in the bottom of one suitcase for souvenirs (DH used that as his 'personal bag' on the way back).

None of this was to save money, but I don't fancy schlepping a bag around cobblestone streets or dealing with lost luggage. Last time I checked a bag we took the tube to our hotel in London and had to walk up several flights of stairs. Never again!

---

Now we only do carry-on. Last cruise was 7 days + 2 pre-cruise. 2 carry-ons + backpack. We had extra room in the suitcases and did laundry on the special day.

The one before that we drove and did the same thing and I had formal wear packed (including heels).

It's all about realizing that you don't need the kitchen sink when you travel! You don't *need* all that extra crap. There are laundry services (just like there are at home).

The most efficient travelers use a carry-on + backpack only.

We did 19 days in Europe last summer (including a 7 day cruise) with one carry-on each and a backpack. This includes a DH who is 300 lbs with big, bulky clothing.

What did I pack?

Laptop, cords, 2 iphones with 1 cord, 1 ipad, 1 camera with cords, 1 Nook with cord, meds (DH has diabetes and a lot of meds), 1 change of clothes for both of us. This was in the backpack.

In my suitcase (female):

2 bras

5 socks

6 undies

1 dressier sandals

1 flip flops

4 capri pants

7 tops

1 PJs

My bathroom bag went into my bag and contained: 2, 3oz conditioner, 1 3 oz shampoo (free shampoo at hotel/cruise), comb, brush, face soap (in small travel container), eye cream, moisturizer, 2 electric toothbrushes, 2 deodorants, nail file, nail clippers, face pads, allergy pills, emergency kit, floss, toner, hair elastics

We had a flat duffel bag in the bottom of one suitcase for souvenirs (DH used that as his 'personal bag' on the way back).

None of this was to save money, but I don't fancy schlepping a bag around cobblestone streets or dealing with lost luggage. Last time I checked a bag we took the tube to our hotel in London and had to walk up several flights of stairs. Never again!

---

Now we only do carry-on. Last cruise was 7 days + 2 pre-cruise. 2 carry-ons + backpack. We had extra room in the suitcases and did laundry on the special day.

The one before that we drove and did the same thing and I had formal wear packed (including heels).

It's all about realizing that you don't need the kitchen sink when you travel! You don't *need* all that extra crap. There are laundry services (just like there are at home).

I understand the concept of taking less and doing laundry. But, that really doesn't solve the problem of 6 nights of formal wear (for 3 weeks) onboard the ship + a land tour of over a week following the cruises. My formal night things are "do-able"--it's DHs suit that takes the room and weight. So, how did you and your DH do formal night with only a carry-on?

Linda (and C. D.)

What did I pack?

In my suitcase (female):

2 bras

5 socks

6 undies

1 dressier sandals

1 flip flops

4 capri pants

7 tops

1 PJs

---

It may be efficient to use only a carry-on and a backpack, however, people who travel that way with two huge carryon bags each (carryon and backpack) make it very difficult for everyone else on planes to store their luggage - I am referring to the people who abide by the rules and carry on one suitcase and one "small bag/purse" etc. I am tired of flying and having everyone carry everything on board with them, bumping everyone as they walk up the aisle, and then taking an entire overhead bin for their stuff.

While I agree that we can all cut back and don't need so much stuff, some people are taking this to extremes.

We travel only with carry on bags. Mine fully loaded weighs 18 pounds, 6 lb. empty. We just did 25 days of travel, including land based and an 18 day cruise. The weather was cold in London with winter temps in the Med. I base my wardrobe around black with a few coordinating spots of color. Silk scarves are light and are good accessories. I have 2 pairs of shoes. My husband wears a size 13, so has only one pair! We go to formal nights but do not dress to the "nines" - just dressy clothes and we look great. A button black or dark silk shirt is good for men who want light weight for evening. Our daytime clothes can be washed out in the sink and will dry quickly. Socks and underwear, the same. I cannot stress enough that it is a great sense of freedom to have less stuff when traveling. We always look well dressed and appropriately dressed for where we are traveling. I always manage some luggage space for some fun souvenirs and my husband has plenty of room for electronics, charging cords, and camera gear. Questions, anyone?

Archived