Would you be upset/bothered by this?

hermitstyle

Backstory:

So, I was on the 3/11 sailing of the Glory and had booked the Chef's Table. I noted during our reservation conformation call that one of the dinner guests was very allergic to shellfish, because I knew there was a shrimp entree on the menu, and an intolerance to aggressive spices (wasabi, chile, etc). Fast forward to the dinner, the first appetizer is of course the wasabi tuna tartar. I did my due diligence, and made sure that my friends tuna tartar was made without the wasabi. Good thing I asked, because it wasn't and the chef promptly made a wasabi free one. At that point, I reconfirmed that they knew of her shellfish allergy, since the chef was now newly informed of the aggressive spice irritation. i was assured by the head chef that everything else was taken care of. The chili poblano soup was changed out/made with something else, and the shrimp ball entree was made with ham. About 15 minutes after the end of the dinner, my friend started getting violently ill and I asked to make sure that her shrimp ball entree was truly made with ham, she said it was. She then broke out in hives and was sick the rest of the night. After that ordeal, the next morning, she was fine. We concluded it had to be her shellfish allergy and that her ham ball entree must have been made at the same time as the shrimp ball entree, with the same gloves, so her safe entree was cross-contaminated with the shellfish. Not a super huge deal, we had fun the rest of the cruise and didn't have another problem with food.

Upon our return, I e-mailed Carnival to just inform about the mishap with the cross-contamination, just to bring it to their attention. I also mentioned it in the survey that I filled out. I never expected a reply or anything, I just wanted it brought to their attention. Today, I got this response:

Thank you for contacting us about your cruise aboard the CARNIVAL GLORY.

While we trust you enjoyed your cruise, we were concerned with the poor impression you received regarding your friend's special dietary requirements. Carnival values its guests with special needs and makes every effort to accommodate their requests.

However, we trust you will understand that, while our hostesses and chefs are pleased to discuss special needs and to suggest suitable menu items, it is ultimately the guest who will decide which choices to make, bearing in mind that it is not always possible to prepare food exactly as specified when there are very specific requirements such as you described.

Nevertheless, we are very sorry that your dinner at the Chef's Table was an unhappy experience and we certainly empathize with your friend's discomfort.

We appreciate that you've sailed with us several times and we hope you will enjoy your upcoming Carnival cruises wholeheartedly.

I was seriously upset and appalled that we were basically told that we should have made more suitable choices in food!:eek: If they couldn't accommodate us correctly with a shellfish allergy, then they should have told us so over the phone when re-confirming our reservation. I had dined the Chef's Table previously with my mom who is allergic to shellfish as well, and didn't have a problem.

So, ultimate question, would it bother you that you made less than suitable food choices? If I got a response, all I would have wanted was an I'm sorry - which they included in there - after patronizing my friend for eating at a dinner where her allergies were "supposedly" to be taken care of.

I'm sure their response is something of a "blanket" statement approved by their lawyers.

I would have been very upset if this had happened to me or anyone I was with. I would have addressed while still on board. They are lucky that her reaction wasn't worse!

My wife has many food allergies. The that will give her migraines.

The first night in the DR we will tell the head waiter and she will order very plain food.

He/she will send over thesocial host and they will discuss her allergies and prepare food special for her. For example they will make her onion soup special without celery.

They know she cannot have broccoli but sometimes it will come on her plate.

They are good about this but not perfect so she must look closely. Perhaps yourfriend should stick to eating very basic food such as grilled fish or chicken?

I think it was an appropriate response. My son's GF has severe food allergies and she often brings her own food when we travel together. We all agreed she should not go on the cruise this time because of the food situation. Im sorry your friend got so sick.

I would feel offended by that response. I could see if you hadn't mentioned the allergy, but you did. Cross contamination by the sous chef, or whoever made the appetizer is at fault, not you. It's lucky her throat didn't close up like my sister's does when she has shellfish. I'm glad you did manage to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm allergic to FIN FISH, not shell fish. Once at lunch a co-worker ordered the salmon. We were at the same table. By the time lunch was over I was sick at my stomach. I ended up going home for the day and when I changed out of my work clothes I was covered in hives.

Apparently, breathing in the fumes/vapors off of food that one is allergic too can also cause an allergic reaction. I did not know this prior to this instance.

It wasn't necessarily cross-contamination that caused your friend to get sick w/ an allergic reaction, it could have simply been from being seated w/ others who were eating shellfish.

oh HELLNO!

This is NOT about Carnival doing their 'best' to accommodate..and you making appropriate choices ( or in this case, your friend)

Its about cross contamination...which should NOT happen. For crying out loud, even D'angelos Sandwich shops change gloves before every customer's sandwich is made. What they are saying is that basically anyone with a food allergy is on their own because there is no guarantee that the kitchen staff will do their due diligence in ensuring your meal is 'safe' for you to eat.

I'm glad you contacted them... but that response would totally piss me off.

I'm allergic to FIN FISH, not shell fish. Once at lunch a co-worker ordered the salmon. We were at the same table. By the time lunch was over I was sick at my stomach. I ended up going home for the day and when I changed out of my work clothes I was covered in hives.

Apparently, breathing in the fumes/vapors off of food that one is allergic too can also cause an allergic reaction. I did not know this prior to this instance.

It wasn't necessarily cross-contamination that caused your friend to get sick w/ an allergic reaction, it could have simply been from being seated w/ others who were eating shellfish.

Wow, have you discussed this with an allergist?

Thanks for the response. Glad some people are on the same page as me. I've asked her if she ever got sick from the fumes of shellfish, and she said never, and I have eaten lobster and shrimp around her numerous times. It's just when she ingests the shellfish is when she breaks out in hives and gets sick.

I'm also thankful that her throat didn't close up, but she had her epipen with her, and also travel insurance in case it turned into something life threatening.

Also, bringing her own food? How do you purpose to do that on a 7 night cruise? People travel with more complex allergies and are taken care of adequately.

We informed the Maitre 'D the minute we got on the ship and he was available for comments/questions/concerns, were told by the Maitre 'D that the social hostess will come by our table that night, but she never did (she did however go to the table next to us every night to take care of a gluten free family). We did everything that was needed to make sure that we can do all on our end - but we have to trust that the kitchen staff will do the diligence on their end to accommodate allergies.

I think the letter was what the lawyers told them to send...it is vague but alteast they acknowledged it and apologized.

Honestly, I think they would be better off just not making substitutions nor trying to make accomodations. I don't like seafood, I don't expect them to alter the menu, even though they offered...it is their menu so I don't eat there...

It is unfortunate that this happened to your friend but from now on she really only should eat things she knows she can eat and what they are...it could have been that they did wear different gloves when making them, but maybe the person plating them didn't...or someone picked up a towel and someone else touched it. So many factors...

Yes, I have. It's actually common for somebody who has severe fish allergies to have an allergic reaction to inhaling vapors and/or touching fish (shell or fin).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shellfish-allergy/DS00987/DSECTION=prevention

My dh has a fin fish allergy too, a bit difficult for him as a chef, he breaks out in a nasty rash if he touches fish, I don't think the fumes from cooking it have ever bothered him that I know of.

OP, as a former restaurant owner I can tell you the response you received is way below the standards we held ourselves to, and certainly way below what anyone deserves. They basically told you "too bad, she chose to eat it, sorry". Unacceptable, that's just not how it works. I have to ask why it wasn't dealt with more thoroughly while still onboard?

Sorry that happened. I do not do the chef table as I do not eat any type of seafood or fish. I do not want them to have to try and make something different simply because I choose not to eat most of what they serve during that special meal.

Sorry that happened. I do not do the chef table as I do not eat any type of seafood or fish. I do not want them to have to try and make something different simply because I choose not to eat most of what they serve during that special meal.

I agree! I hate fish also and would never ask them to subsitute. If I was highly allergic to a menu that I couldn't eat it would be the same thing. But that's just me.

I would have been upset as well. Not a good response to give considering you explained the food alergy beforehand and they were aware.

To those of you saying she should not have gone, that is absurd. They knew she had this allergy and they decided to accomadate her.

I would have been upset as well. Not a good response to give considering you explained the food alergy beforehand and they were aware.

To those of you saying she should not have gone, that is absurd. They knew she had this allergy and they decided to accomadate her.

I'm betting she wish she wouldn't have gone either.....just a guess though.

I think the people that are suggesting it was her fault for eating it are forgetting that she was told it was made with ham and not shrimp. If I had a peanut allergy and a chef told me there wasn't peanuts in a dish and there was, I would be very upset, not to mention very sick.

As mentioned before DW has many food allergies and we will not eat pork or shellfish so we have avoided the chefs table as they would have to make many substitutions for us.

On our last cruise we met the chef who does this on the Valor.

Discussed this with him and he said not to worry as he would have spoken to us before dinner and made substitutions so we would both feel comfortable with the choices we made for dinner.

By that time it was to late to sign up for chefs table but we have considered doing this on another cruise but perhaps we should not.

I have several food alergies and would never expect a special meal served for me. If I'm going to the chocolate buffet I'm not going to demand something made without chocolate so I can enjoy.

For dinner I order something on the menu I can eat and avoid those items I can't. Perhaps the chef's table with exotic flavors and ingredients was not the best choice for your guest to dine at and they should have known that.

While it is unfortunate that the incident occurred, you need to realize you were at the Chef's table with a very specific menu. The chef was very courteous in making a special effort for a unique entree for each item that your guest was allergic to. Unfortunately, as even with peanut allergies, it's not always easy to completely keep everything out.

Just leave it alone. It's not worth getting upset over Carnival's response. They can't cater specifically to everyone's dietary needs, although they try their best. And in your guest's case, sometimes other ingredients may cause a reaction.

As mentioned before DW has many food allergies and we will not eat pork or shellfish so we have avoided the chefs table as they would have to make many substitutions for us.

On our last cruise we met the chef who does this on the Valor.

Discussed this with him and he said not to worry as he would have spoken to us before dinner and made substitutions so we would both feel comfortable with the choices we made for dinner.

By that time it was to late to sign up for chefs table but we have considered doing this on another cruise but perhaps we should not.

This is interesting to know. I have a severe shellfish allergy. My little cruise purse consists of my S&S card, lip gloss and EpiPen :D for those food buffet times. I've never eaten at the Chef's Table because I thought it would be a total waste of time. Nice to know that they'll make substitutions.

Although, I'm a bit fearful after hearing this story. While your friend only got sick, my throat closes up and I've got a matter of about 30 minutes before that's it. My experience so far is like Stu's. The hostess always comes over and makes sure what I can and can't have and my DH or other table mates. Fumes don't bother me, but cross-contamination would. Every night someone has come over and verified menu selections, which really isn't necessary. I just order chicken or beef. But it's nice that they do it.

I think the reply is ridiculous. If they chose to accept that amount of money for a special dinner and were well-aware of the limitations, they have accepted a responsibility not to poison a patron. If it was a food buffet, that's different. I accept that responsibility on myself. If I ask if your soup contains shrimp juice and you say no, that's on you.

I'm thankful for the OP that her friend only got sick. It could have been much worse.

Archived