Would you be upset/bothered by this?

hermitstyle

I think Carnival's point in their response (which seemed reasonable to me) is that they will endeavor to find a way to work with your allergies, but they don't guarantee results. How can they? Too many things can go wrong, some from improper procedures, others from dumb luck (the bad kind). If you were to put a microscope on seafood that was being sliced, you would see thousands of cells exploding as the blade cut through the meat, and a tiny spray of mist drifting from the cut. For some allergy sufferers, this tiny spray would be insignificant, for others, it would kill them. What are kitchen staff going to do, seal off each potentially offending food in its own preparation chamber?

I agree. The problem for me is that it was a response to an unfortunate situation, and not a proactive statement made when booking the Chef's table. Whether allergies need to be accommodated is for each individual business to decide. If they do choose to accommodate, then they should be very clear as to what they can and cannot guarantee. "Don't worry" if you should be worried, doesn't cut it. Carnival should learn from the experience and communicate with the passenger more effectively in the future.

Personally, I think Carnival (or any other place having this type of meal) should just list the menu and say they can not be responsible for allergic reactions, nor can there be personalized items. That way people like me with food allergies can just by-pass this event and not have to have even a little thought wandering through my head about the possibility of cross contamination.

It’s refreshing to find people who take responsibility for themselves! Just good common sense if you have severe allergies to not put yourself in this kind of situation.

We did the Chef's Table on the Dream. DH is highly allergic to lobster but he is fine with other shellfish and fin fish. I informed them of this allergy on the first night of the cruise. While we were eating our canapes, the Chef de Cuisine re-confirmed that the allergy was only to lobster. He told us that he had been very careful to prepare a separate canape that did not have lobster. He also assured us that he had personally prepared it separate from the others so that there was no cross-contamination.

IMHO, this is the way that the Chef should handle food allergies. The menu is not static. The Chef can change the menu at will based on the ingredients at hand.

If DH doubted the Chef or his preparation methods, he would not have eaten the canape. Additionally, we always carry medication just in case he has a reaction.

Backstory:

So, I was on the 3/11 sailing of the Glory and had booked the Chef's Table. I noted during our reservation conformation call that one of the dinner guests was very allergic to shellfish, because I knew there was a shrimp entree on the menu, and an intolerance to aggressive spices (wasabi, chile, etc). Fast forward to the dinner, the first appetizer is of course the wasabi tuna tartar. I did my due diligence, and made sure that my friends tuna tartar was made without the wasabi. Good thing I asked, because it wasn't and the chef promptly made a wasabi free one. At that point, I reconfirmed that they knew of her shellfish allergy, since the chef was now newly informed of the aggressive spice irritation. i was assured by the head chef that everything else was taken care of. The chili poblano soup was changed out/made with something else, and the shrimp ball entree was made with ham. About 15 minutes after the end of the dinner, my friend started getting violently ill and I asked to make sure that her shrimp ball entree was truly made with ham, she said it was. She then broke out in hives and was sick the rest of the night. After that ordeal, the next morning, she was fine. We concluded it had to be her shellfish allergy and that her ham ball entree must have been made at the same time as the shrimp ball entree, with the same gloves, so her safe entree was cross-contaminated with the shellfish. Not a super huge deal, we had fun the rest of the cruise and didn't have another problem with food.

Upon our return, I e-mailed Carnival to just inform about the mishap with the cross-contamination, just to bring it to their attention. I also mentioned it in the survey that I filled out. I never expected a reply or anything, I just wanted it brought to their attention. Today, I got this response:

[/font]

I was seriously upset and appalled that we were basically told that we should have made more suitable choices in food!:eek: If they couldn't accommodate us correctly with a shellfish allergy, then they should have told us so over the phone when re-confirming our reservation. I had dined the Chef's Table previously with my mom who is allergic to shellfish as well, and didn't have a problem.

So, ultimate question, would it bother you that you made less than suitable food choices? If I got a response, all I would have wanted was an I'm sorry - which they included in there - after patronizing my friend for eating at a dinner where her allergies were "supposedly" to be taken care of.

[/font]

I certainly can sympathize with you in that my huband has a fish allergy... he can eat shellfish, but no freshwater fish. Our grandaughter has a peanut allergy, so we have been faced with decisions daily between the two of them.... Anyways I think that when you made the request for the specific items to avoid ( I use this term avoid for a reason) I think they did avoid the shrimp and you are 100 % right that it was prepared at the same time as the shrimp. I do not think that there is anything you can do about it. A lot of people do not understand that you can get sick with the slightest amount of (oil from the shrimp, small amount of gloves etc.) With that in mind I think they did not realize that preparing it at the same time with a substituted ingredient would have caused a problem. Have you been to a Dairy Queen before ? They have a sign posted that although they make every attempt to make sure that people with nut allergies are not going to get sick, that sometimes (because of the products being made) they may get a small amount of that residule product. I think it is the best attempt to forewarn prople that they may get sick if they have a nut allergy. Anyways, I know that you wanted to expereince the chefs table and understand your reaction to their response, but I also understand that when one is preparing in large quantities in a limited space there is going to be cross contamination. We never order ff out, or other fired food that could be cooked in the same oil as fish. Our granddaughter will never see a Dairy Queen, we will serve ice cream treats at home etc..... I know that you took the precautions, and yes they may have attempted to make sure you received the proper food for your friend, but nothing is a guarentee. I would have asked out of the chefs table that evening and tried to find a different night that did not have that shellfish on the menu. I am happy to hear that she is ok though, cause it is a very scary experience to go through and I guess the end result is that you were still able to have a very good time on the rest of cruise.

Well, after reading all of this, I'm not getting the OP's reason, and that of other posters, for being upset by Carnival's response. The guest's illness may or may not have been to a contaimated dish. Without a complete toxology report, there's no real way of knowing. At worse here, the guest was fine in the morning. We don't know from the OP if the guest went to the infirmary or not. So we can assume she did not think it wasn't a life threatening illness.

The Chef did undertake to accommodate the guest's food allergies. And the OP did frequently remind the chef of the allergic reaction to shell fish.

But beyond that it was the responsibility of the guest to eat or not eat any dish she felt may be injurous to her. (Or if a minor, the resposnibility of the guardian to ensure she did not). No crime committed. No service snafu. The ship and any food prep is not "bubble boy" territory.

We can empathize with the OP that despite best efforts the guest still took ill. And thankfully recovered quickly. But I think the both OP and Carnival did their due diligence here. An apology is the best one can hope for in these situations, and the OP got that, even if it was couched in legalese.

It's called The Chef's Table because it is a complete meal creation designed by the Chef. I don't mean this to be snarky in any way, but if he/she had to consistantly prepare special needs componants of the meal then it would not longer be the Chef's creation. And before anyone says, that Chef's in most restuarants will make special meals and exceptions, we have to remember that this is a small-intimate Chef's experience with a small-limited number of diners, not a restaurant.

I do not like seafood and after seeing a sample of the Chef's Table menu, I decided that it wouldn't be for me. I would not expect the Chef to make a special accomodation just for me when Seafood is obviously an important componant in a few stages of his/her meal.

I just choose to go to the MDR and steakhouse where I know there will be several selections that I would enjoy ordering.

It's my very own personal opinion, but the Chef's table is designed for those with a very diverse palate. Those that are picky eaters or have several special eating requirments should not expect the Chef to alter their art work-meal creations.

:):)

Something else not brought up. The OP did all the talking and complaining on behalf of her friend. Is the friend a child or not able to speak for herself. Maybe this friend was understanding and knows these thing happen and takes responsibility and just has a busy body friend.

I think the part of saying that "it is ultimately the guest who will decide which choices to make, bearing in mind that it is not always possible to prepare food exactly as specified when there are very specific requirements such as you described." That's basically saying, well, it's not our fault, even though we told you that your food allergies would have been accommodated and not to worry, it's your fault for trusting us.

And for everyone saying to stay in the MDR and that they will accommodate our allergies, what if this happened in the MDR? Would you then tell us that we need to bring freeze-dried pre-packaged food with us? The Chef's Table is the same concept. We informed in advance multiple times about the food allergy, we were told multiple times not to worry that our specific allergen would be taken care of - so please explain to me, how are we in the wrong? I sure hope no one here has an allergy and is told multiple times by multiple different people that the food is indeed allergy free and everything is safe, then has a reaction - from what's most likely the result of cross-contamination - and then told that it's your fault for eating there. I bet you would feel the same way too...

Well I'm sorry I still don't see any blame in the letter. Carnival in no way (in the letter) stated that it was your fault for eating there. Now you are saying you informed the chef multiple times in regards to her allergy and he got back to you several times? And she still got sick and you didn't inform them on the ship. I'm sorry but it just sounded like no big deal on the ship but now it is a big deal. And as far as how I would feel, lol! Even though I am not allergic I don't like fish and I would never ask any chef to make my fish dish into something that didn't contain fish. I just don't see the point of that at all. Just sounds bizarre to me. I would just pass. But that's just me.

Something else not brought up. The OP did all the talking and complaining on behalf of her friend. Is the friend a child or not able to speak for herself. Maybe this friend was understanding and knows these thing happen and takes responsibility and just has a busy body friend.

Comprehension on this board sucks.

The OP wasn't complaining to CCL, just making them aware, and their response was less than stellar because they were covering thier ever-large butts.

I am SURE that people who do have food allergies appreciate the OP's reporting this to CCL.

I still dont get it...

What I dont get is what happened to personal responsibility in this decade. Everyone wants to blame someone else...

If I was alergic to shell fish, I wouldnt order shrimp, crab, lobster or any other dish with the name of something I was alergic to... And ask for them to try to make it so I wouldnt be alergic.

Again, im NOT saying this was the OPs fault, but I dont understand why the OP cant see that they also have SOME responsibility here...

*headdesk*

Good lord people. "Hooked on Phonics" really is your friend (I'm not directing this solely at the person I quoted, it's just a general statement).

Please people, re-read her post...carefully. She ordered the dish ONLY after Carnival told her they COULD accommodate her allergy. She did due diligence by notifying Carnival of her allergy BEFOREHAND. She didn't just show up and say, "Hey, I have a food allergy, now work around me." They gave Carnival time to prepare BEFOREHAND knowing that someone with a food allergy was attending. If they COULD NOT accommodate her, they should have TOLD HER.

You don't tell someone that you'll do something for them, then when you DON'T DO IT - blame the person for trusting you in the first place!!!!! Sheesh!

OP - some of these people are real pieces of work. Please ignore them and know you were totally in the right. It sucks that Carnival at least couldn't have given you a 'mea culpa', but it truly is a CYA situation.

*headdesk*

Good lord people. "Hooked on Phonics" really is your friend (I'm not directing this solely at the person I quoted, it's just a general statement).

Please people, re-read her post...carefully. She ordered the dish ONLY after Carnival told her they COULD accommodate her allergy. She did due diligence by notifying Carnival of her allergy BEFOREHAND. She didn't just show up and say, "Hey, I have a food allergy, now work around me." They gave Carnival time to prepare BEFOREHAND knowing that someone with a food allergy was attending. If they COULD NOT accommodate her, they should have TOLD HER.

You don't tell someone that you'll do something for them, then when you DON'T DO IT - blame the person for trusting you in the first place!!!!! Sheesh!

OP - some of these people are real pieces of work. Please ignore them and know you were totally in the right. It sucks that Carnival at least couldn't have given you a 'mea culpa', but it truly is a CYA situation.

They did accommodate her. They did change the receipes for her. How she got contaminated will never be known. Why in the world would Carnival say something was their fault when nobody knows really how she got contaminated? Maybe, just maybe they would have taken it more seriously if they would have notified the guest service when her friend got sick......just a thought. Anyone can come home from a cruise and write letters lol!

most people i know with fish/sheelfish allergies avoid being around any such foodstuffs...assuming cross-contamination which could happen any time you have multiple foodstuffs, even in your own kitchen, makes me wonder why you went there? isn[t the whole purpose of the speciality dining the surprises the kitchen comes up with? the menu posted really made me want to go out to dinner because i am not allergic to anything but dust, and i know enough not to be in dusty situations, or if i am, take responsibility for myself

I still dont get it...

I mean, i get that something went wrong... I get it...

What I dont get is what happened to personal responsibility in this decade. Everyone wants to blame someone else...

If I was alergic to bee stings, I wouldnt go to a bee farm and ask the bee farmer to please keep the bees away from me...

If I was alergic to shell fish, I wouldnt order shrimp, crab, lobster or any other dish with the name of something I was alergic to... And ask for them to try to make it so I wouldnt be alergic.

Again, im NOT saying this was the OPs fault, but I dont understand why the

OP cant see that they also have SOME responsibility here...

I thought this when I first read the post... Personally I wouldn't eat something called "shrimp whatever" if I was allergic to shrimp even if they told me it was ham. Clearly it means they were making shrimp whatever at the same time.... Too much of a chance for cross contamination. Plus, no one knows for sure what made OP's friend sick. Stomach virus? Allergy? Food poisoning? (maybe the ham was bad and that is why she got sick and no one else at the table did).

But hope OP's friend is ok.

It's called The Chef's Table because it is a complete meal creation designed by the Chef. I don't mean this to be snarky in any way, but if he/she had to consistantly prepare special needs componants of the meal then it would not longer be the Chef's creation. And before anyone says, that Chef's in most restuarants will make special meals and exceptions, we have to remember that this is a small-intimate Chef's experience with a small-limited number of diners, not a restaurant.

I do not like seafood and after seeing a sample of the Chef's Table menu, I decided that it wouldn't be for me. I would not expect the Chef to make a special accomodation just for me when Seafood is obviously an important componant in a few stages of his/her meal.

I just choose to go to the MDR and steakhouse where I know there will be several selections that I would enjoy ordering.

It's my very own personal opinion, but the Chef's table is designed for those with a very diverse palate. Those that are picky eaters or have several special eating requirments should not expect the Chef to alter their art work-meal creations.

:):)

Excellent point of view. I too don't care for seafood so the Chef's Table hasn't even entered in to my realm of possibilities. I know something like Chef's Table isn't designed to make substitutions.

When I read "Chef's Table" and "severe food allergy" in OPs post I was kinda floored that they even did Chef's Table. That's just my personal take on it.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread anymore, because obviously my friend is an idiot for trusting in what we were both told multiple times that we would be fine and the allergen would be taken care of, and most of the posters are not understanding that 1) shellfish is a common allergy - not rare or uncommon as one poster stated and 2) we are not upset at the fact she got sick - we are upset at the response Carnival gave - essentially blaming us, when we were assured multiple times. One poster stated that with DHs lobster allergy, the Chef came to their table to re-confirm the allergy and specifically made the affected dish himself to avoid cross-contamination. This was my experience last year with my mom when my family and I did the Chef's Table. Chef came to our table, re-confirmed, my mom's shrimp ball appetizer was made by the Chef, no problems encountered. It obviously did not happen this way, meaning that the ball was dropped somewhere on Carnival's end. My friend (not my GF as one poster so presumptuously decided to point out) was born and raised in France, so obviously French is her primary language, English is her secondary language. She does very well and speaking and understanding most things, but other times she has a hard time comprehending, especially if it's spoken quickly or an accent is involved, so yes, I, as a fluent English speaker, did most of the talking and confirming of the allergy and made sure things were done correctly. So I'm terribly sorry that I'm the one doing the talking here.:rolleyes: And just so you know, we BOTH e-mailed Carnival and noted it in our survey, but Carnival obviously only responded to me.

(maybe the ham was bad and that is why she got sick and no one else at the table did).

But hope OP's friend is ok.

There were two people who had the ham substituted for the shrimp because of a shellfish allergy. I didn't end up seeing the other person again to ask - it is a big ship, and I don't know everyone - so I couldn't find out if the other passenger got sick, and I sure as heck wasn't going to hunt him down to find out and waste my vacation doing so.

I for one, totally agree with Carnvial's response. They made not one, not two, but three special menu items for your friend. I would say that that is more than a reasonable accomodation. You cannot be 100% sure that your friend became ill from a cross-contamination issue. The illness could have came from another venue on the ship or from off the ship.

Additionally, I stand firm with what I said in my earlier post which was That the Chef's Table is a small intimate dining experience to showcase the special dishes and artfull cuisine of the Chef. It is not a have-it-your-way made to order experience. I can see a minor tweek, but for one person to have a couple of special requests and perhaps the next person another...... where is the line drawn. It no longer becomes the Chef's creation.

It is very unfortunate that this happened to your friend and I do empathize with her but the Chef's Table is designed to showcase haute cusine and should be approached by those with a deverse palate not by picky eaters or by those that have a severe allergy that would cause the Chef the need to totally recreate his artful offerings.

This is the sole reason that I will not be experiencing this venue. Other than shrimp, I do not care for seafood. I am aware that seafood is a major componant in the menu selections and feel that the MDR or Steakhouse would better suit my needs for better selections.

The Chef's Table is not a restaurant, it is a dining experience highlighting the Chef and his work.

I feel that Carnival made a resonable accomodation. Nowhere does it say that Carnival absolutely guarantees 100% anything. Your friend had 3 special items made for her due to her not caring for Spicy componants and her shell fish allergy: the Wasabi tuna tartre, the pablano soup and the shrimp/ham ball. Three changes to the Chef's menu seems a bit excessive when you consider that you knew of the menu items prior to dining there. There is a fine line between a resonable accomodation and a 100% guarantee, IMHO Carnival fulfilled their obligation.

:)

Archived