Would you be upset/bothered by this?

hermitstyle

I am trying to figure out you are ordering shrimp balls and chilli poblanos with all of the other things on the menu if there are allergies....I want a shrimp ball but take the shrimp out, I want a chilli soup, but take the hot stuff out, why play around with it....

i am trying to figure out you are ordering shrimp balls and chilli poblanos with all of the other things on the menu if there are allergies....i want a shrimp ball but take the shrimp out, i want a chilli soup, but take the hot stuff out, why play around with it....

bingo

exactly

point on

Chef's can try to accommodate special requests, but can't wipe down the whole kitchen because of a person's allergy.

I don't think the Op would disagree with you. the problem is that CCL was asked ahead of time and they said they could accomodate the allergies.

THAT is where the problem lies.

If they cannot guarantee cross contamination, they should say so right up front.

End of story.

We ate at the Chef's Table when it was first introduced on the Paradise. I neglected to tell the Chef that I didn't care for sea food. Of course, one entre was a fish dish. As soon as he noticed that I had the waiter take the dish away, he came over and wanted to know what was wrong. I told him and he and his staff bent over backwards to insure my satisfaction.

Recently on the Legend, the DR hostess worked with my 94 year old uncle every night (food alergies) to help him with his meal selections.

Needless to say, we were very impressed with her and the DR staff for the time they took with my uncle.

Bottom line, I believe Carnival does the best they can! Yes Dorothy, sometimes tinigs happen...... my fault, your fault, Carnival's fault - who knows?????

I am trying to figure out you are ordering shrimp balls and chilli poblanos with all of the other things on the menu if there are allergies....I want a shrimp ball but take the shrimp out, I want a chilli soup, but take the hot stuff out, why play around with it....

You don't order or choose, you got all the 7 courses.

When I get a menu I have to choose from I am not stupid enough (yet) to choose the shellfish dish...

Yea the response stinks.....basic Carnival protocol...

However upon reading the story you presented, why go or put yourself or your friend, into that situation? The odds were they would screw up.

You were asking everyone to make numerous changes to accomodate one person.

Ok, hold on. We didn't ask anyone to make numerous changes to her dishes! I really think you are missing the point here. Yes, she has an irritation to aggresive spices, so she couldn't have the wasabi or chili in the soup - well she could but it might have aggravated her stomach. Better safe than sorry by excluding one spice in each dish. The shell fish was the only allergy that really needed to be accommodated correctly and it wasn't when we were told it would be. There are numerous threads on here about the Chef's Table and my 'x' has this allergy, can it be accommodated or should we skip it and the responses are always "sure!" "of course" "they will do everything to accommodate your needs and make sure you are happy" but the minute something goes wrong, it's automatically the person with the allergies fault for eating there when they were more than likely assured by people on this board, Carnival, the chef and the steakhouse hostess that everything would be taken care of. Unbelieveable.

Ok, hold on. We didn't ask anyone to make numerous changes to her dishes! I really think you are missing the point here. Yes, she has an irritation to aggresive spices, so she couldn't have the wasabi or chili in the soup.

Maybe you should go back and read your own original post. I see requests for changes to 3 dishes. The longer this thread goes on, the more sorry I feel for the chef.

Maybe you should go back and read your own original post. I see requests for changes to 3 dishes. The longer this thread goes on, the more sorry I feel for the chef.

LOLOLOLOL, unbelievable. YOu feel sorry for the chef :confused:. Why oh why in the world would you feel sorry for the chef???????????? These are minor and I mean minor changes for petes sake. REGARDLESS wether he asked if they could accomadate them or not THEY said yes. It does not take a genius to figure out they had no problem accomadating the op and his friend.

To the OP, please realize reading comprehension is a lost art, you did not demand, you did not put the chef out, you did nothing wrong and those who say you should take responsibility have zero common sense.

You seriously are missing the point. BEFORE they went to this dinner, the OP contacted CCL who informed her that dealing with special food needs is not a problem.

And this is usually what most cruise lines will tell you because they are usually very accomodating and very careful, Carnival included.

IF this was going to be an issue THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD HER WHEN THEY SPOKE TO HER.

I am sure if they'd have been told ahead of time that this was just a little too much for the chef to handle, they'd have just backed out of the dinner.

I don't understand why this is so difficult for people to comprehend.

Cruiser with allergies attends Chef's Table without checking first regarding the ability to accommodate said allergies = cruiser's fault.

Cruiser provides information regarding allergies when booking Chef's table and is told that they can be accommodated by Carnival representative, yet is still served food containing allergens = Carnival's fault.

Let's look at the chef's point of view. They asked if he could change 3 dishes for her. He did. The person ate the food with no problem. They got sick later but didn't report it. The chef has no idea and still has no idea there was a problem. Obviously he thought he accommodated what was asked of him.I don't know about you but if someone in my group had a reaction to a food that was not suppose to be served to them I would certainly make them aware of it. They are probably still accommodating people with cross contamination and are not aware of the dangers.....The letter was generic but why wouldn't it be? They get millions of letters complaining about something everyday after the fact.

Yes, I have. It's actually common for somebody who has severe fish allergies to have an allergic reaction to inhaling vapors and/or touching fish (shell or fin).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shellfish-allergy/DS00987/DSECTION=prevention

I too have a shellfish allergy and have had my eyes swell shut for two days because people at my table were eating giant prawns. It wasn't their fault or anyone else's, it's just the way my body reacted. I try my best to stay out of situations that could be dangerous to me, but every now and then I get the scare of my life.

And yes, since that time, I carry an epi pen.

I think you are assuming where the cross-contamination was, in reality you don't know.

I have worked in resturants as servers, and who knows what has been on my clothes by the end of the night. Food gets spilled on you.

The chef makes the meal and then it is delivered to the table. How many hands touch that plate in the process of delivery?

The assistant waiter clears the table, in the process, he picks up dirty dishes with the allergen, also touching the same dinner space as the person allergic. The table is now contaminated.

The Captain comes and shakes everybody's hand - both people that were eating the shrimp and those that weren't. All those people's hands are now contaminated.

My daughter had someone with an allergy in her class. They had to wash their hands with wipes everytime they entered the classroom. The teacher would hand the wipe to each student, watch them wash their hands, and throw the wipe in the bucket outside the classroom.

When the request was sent in it was sent in with the dietary restrictions. This was a pay item not something that is included. I believe that if they could not respect the restrictions they should have declined the reservation

Personally, I think Carnival (or any other place having this type of meal) should just list the menu and say they can not be responsible for allergic reactions, nor can there be personalized items. That way people like me with food allergies can just by-pass this event and not have to have even a little thought wandering through my head about the possibility of cross contamination.

Yeah, I might have gotten my I'm sorry, but I didn't want an "I'm sorry, but really it was your fault" response. Carnival can't give it to me both ways.

Also, my friend would beg to differ about cross-contamination and her shellfish allergy. Just because you've only treated people who had a reaction to the vapor of the food, doesn't mean people don't have different severity to the said allergen. Some people break out in hives, some people get sick, some people have an upset stomach and some people die. Cross-contamination can cause an allergic reaction

hermitstyle,

I didn't say 'only.' What I didn't say clearly enough was that for most of those who knew they had just been nearby and had not eaten the allergen, it was the first time it had happened to them. One was as simple as a patient with peanut allergy who was nearby when someone opened a snickers bar; they didn't taste it or anything else and their throat began swelling and they were very short of breath.

I've been treating people in emergency situations since 1987. It would be statistically impossible for me to have not encountered cross contamination food allergy patients.

I never have but would advise all patients with food allergies to be extra cautious about entering food preparation areas; food becomes airborn quite easily as it's sliced, diced, heated, stirred, and served from pots and pans into bowls and onto plates. I have no doubt that her allergen was airborn around her, but even that does not mean that an allergen laiden spoon, knife, or glove didn't touch the same surface that her food touched. Given that it is impossible for her allergen not to have been airborn and that it is possible her food was cross contaminated, how can you say she had to get it from cross contamination? It is possible, but you can't state for a fact that it was cross contamination.

Personally, I think Carnival (or any other place having this type of meal) should just list the menu and say they can not be responsible for allergic reactions, nor can there be personalized items. That way people like me with food allergies can just by-pass this event and not have to have even a little thought wandering through my head about the possibility of cross contamination.

craftkitty,

That's a very good plan and would best serve the majority as well as allow the chef to present his specialty type of service.

I never have but would advise all patients with food allergies to be extra cautious about entering food preparation areas; food becomes airborn quite easily as it's sliced, diced, heated, stirred, and served from pots and pans into bowls and onto plates. I have no doubt that her allergen was airborn around her, but even that does not mean that an allergen laiden spoon, knife, or glove didn't touch the same surface that her food touched. Given that it is impossible for her allergen not to have been airborn and that it is possible her food was cross contaminated, how can you say she had to get it from cross contamination? It is possible, but you can't state for a fact that it was cross contamination.

While I understand that it could be from a variety of things, I have narrowed down and its more statistically probable that her food was cross-contaminated with the shrimp. If we take into account that some type of shellfish is served everyday, then that would mean that my friend would have gotten sick every day of the cruise from cross-contamination or airborne vapors if everything was prepared the way you stated and all items were cross-contaminated. We were at a table of 8, and everyday, at least one person had some type of shellfish, and on elegant night, every person except for two (my friend and another person) had the lobster and shrimp. I would think that night of all nights would be more viable for an allergic reaction to occur either via cross-contamination or airborne vapors. This is why I have come to the more statistically probable conclusion that her food was cross-contaminated. Now, most restaurants, if they can not be 100% certain that cross-contamination will not occur, they will put it on their menu (ie a peanut free environment can not be guaranteed, we use peanut oil, etc.). Carnival gave no such claim and in fact claimed that our special requests would be taken care of and not to worry. This statement from Carnival is why I am upset and a bit appalled at the response from them basically blaming us for choosing to pay extra for a unique experience when we were assured that our allergies would be taken care of.

Yes, I have. It's actually common for somebody who has severe fish allergies to have an allergic reaction to inhaling vapors and/or touching fish (shell or fin).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shellfish-allergy/DS00987/DSECTION=prevention

I have sensitivites but no allergies to some foods..this would be hard..wow..I knowa friend that woud get terrible poison oak oozing hives and sores driving down the I-5 freeway if they were doing a burn too close..sarah

OP..think Carnival was covering their behind...they could have done on another surface new gloves..then all depends how allergic she is...lousy reponse that they kind of need to make to cover their butts..even though you were just making them aware..i would be mad too at response..prefer something like sorry next time try whatever and thanks...but who will sue and who will not? Generaly stories are fantastic in this special needs dept.

Agree, best answer for next time..some things are too hard..in the galley and with known issues at a table of faimily; things can get handeled better..not his smaller venue...yet they told her they could...sigh there ie the issue this time.

While I understand that it could be from a variety of things, I have narrowed down and its more statistically probable that her food was cross-contaminated with the shrimp. If we take into account that some type of shellfish is served everyday, then that would mean that my friend would have gotten sick every day of the cruise from cross-contamination or airborne vapors if everything was prepared the way you stated and all items were cross-contaminated. We were at a table of 8, and everyday, at least one person had some type of shellfish, and on elegant night, every person except for two (my friend and another person) had the lobster and shrimp. I would think that night of all nights would be more viable for an allergic reaction to occur either via cross-contamination or airborne vapors. This is why I have come to the more statistically probable conclusion that her food was cross-contaminated. Now, most restaurants, if they can not be 100% certain that cross-contamination will not occur, they will put it on their menu (ie a peanut free environment can not be guaranteed, we use peanut oil, etc.). Carnival gave no such claim and in fact claimed that our special requests would be taken care of and not to worry. This statement from Carnival is why I am upset and a bit appalled at the response from them basically blaming us for choosing to pay extra for a unique experience when we were assured that our allergies would be taken care of.

hermitstyle,

Statistically your friend's likelyhood of a reaction increases with each chance exposure and subsequent exposures are also normally worse than preceeding. The fact that she didn't have a reaction at your normal table for eight is significant, but you haven't taken into account the increased amount airborne contaminants in the kitchen. Meals are prepared for 4000 guests and many of those guest ate what your friend was allergic to and it was ALL prepared in close proximity to where the Chef's table food is served.

I have never seen a disclaimer by Carnival that they aren't responsible for food allergy reactions. The only written Carnival document I have seen is that guests should advise them of food allergies and they will accomadate them. If Carnival is prepared to avoid cross contamination on routine basis for food served in the dinning rooms, it stands to reason that they have an excellent program in place to avoid cross contamination and following that program on a much smaller scale would be quite simple. Again making it unlikely the food was cross contaminated.

Did Carnival provide you with a written statement that any food allergy is possible even with all precautions taken or a statement to the contrary? If they made a verbal statement that your friend would not have an allergic reaction, then they are at fault. If they stated they would accomodate her, then they are not at fault IMO.

Keep in mind that you paid for a 'unique' experience and not a 100% taylored to one experience. To do that they would have to serve guests individually in a vacuum with HEPA filtration of all air entering the room.

hermitstyle,

Statistically your friend's likelyhood of a reaction increases with each chance exposure and subsequent exposures are also normally worse than preceeding. The fact that she didn't have a reaction at your normal table for eight is significant, but you haven't taken into account the increased amount airborne contaminants in the kitchen. Meals are prepared for 4000 guests and many of those guest ate what your friend was allergic to and it was ALL prepared in close proximity to where the Chef's table food is served.

I have never seen a disclaimer by Carnival that they aren't responsible for food allergy reactions. The only written Carnival document I have seen is that guests should advise them of food allergies and they will accomadate them. If Carnival is prepared to avoid cross contamination on routine basis for food served in the dinning rooms, it stands to reason that they have an excellent program in place to avoid cross contamination and following that program on a much smaller scale would be quite simple. Again making it unlikely the food was cross contaminated.

Did Carnival provide you with a written statement that any food allergy is possible even with all precautions taken or a statement to the contrary? If they made a verbal statement that your friend would not have an allergic reaction, then they are at fault. If they stated they would accomodate her, then they are not at fault IMO.

Keep in mind that you paid for a 'unique' experience and not a 100% taylored to one experience. To do that they would have to serve guests individually in a vacuum with HEPA filtration of all air entering the room.

Correct, food is prepared for roughly 2,500 - 4,000 guests depending on the ship. You are also in a dining room with maybe 500 - 1,000 people during dinner, and it's not like you are properly spaced out either. So it would still be more statistically probable that if she were to have a vapor reaction - it would have happened in the dining room - which still supports my cross-contamination theory.

How are they not at fault when they assure a customer that they will accommodate their allergy and to not worry? Telling a customer with an allergy to not worry and allergies will be accommodated means to the allergic customer that proper precautions will be taken to ensure that the customer does not have an allergic reaction.

Archived