Suitcase packing?

cawagner

Rolling your clothes vs. laying them flat in the suitcase. :confused: Does rolling your clothes really fit more in the suitcase? We drive to the port and not a ton of trunk space so not bringing all the luggage I had hoped for 4 people.

Thanks!

Rolling makes a big difference. Just finished our packing for this weekend's weeklong cruise and our family of three is doing it with carry ons. Never thought it would have been possible but it can be done! I actually still have room in all the bags.

Rolling your clothes vs. laying them flat in the suitcase. :confused: Does rolling your clothes really fit more in the suitcase? We drive to the port and not a ton of trunk space so not bringing all the luggage I had hoped for 4 people.

Thanks!

Yes it does take up less space and if rolled correctly it also reduces wrinkling. By doing so I'm able to pack in 1 - 22" carry-on with a side tote that doubles as a purse for my cruises.

Remember that statistically speaking 25% of what a person packs never gets used.

Thanks, I think we will try "rolling" our clothes. We can only fit in the trunk of our car....1 reg suitcase for me and hubby....1 reg suitcase that my 2 boys will share, a small rolling carryon for some drinks, a garment bag for suits/dresses and I have another rolling carryon I am thinking of putting what wont fit in the other suitcases but maybe with "rolling" we wont need that other carryon (i'm hoping i wont) We do pretty good at wearing what we bring but we also have had our own suitcases last time.

Question if your compacting everything by rolling what do you do when your packing to go back home (dirty clothes)...roll everything back up?

Thanks, I think we will try "rolling" our clothes. We can only fit in the trunk of our car....1 reg suitcase for me and hubby....1 reg suitcase that my 2 boys will share, a small rolling carryon for some drinks, a garment bag for suits/dresses and I have another rolling carryon I am thinking of putting what wont fit in the other suitcases but maybe with "rolling" we wont need that other carryon (i'm hoping i wont) We do pretty good at wearing what we bring but we also have had our own suitcases last time.

Question if your compacting everything by rolling what do you do when your packing to go back home (dirty clothes)...roll everything back up?

Yes, but not NEARLY as neatly as I did for the trip down!!

I started out folding and then changed to rolling single items. I then realized I could save even more space by rolling 3 or 4 like items into one roll.

When my daughter decided to take a 2 year teaching job in Colombia and could only take 2 25" suitcases I knew there had to be something even better. I found it in the bundling method. You can just google it. We actually had to take out a few items so she wouldn't go over the weight limit. It was amazing how many things she could fit into just 2 bags.

I started out folding and then changed to rolling single items. I then realized I could save even more space by rolling 3 or 4 like items into one roll.

When my daughter decided to take a 2 year teaching job in Colombia and could only take 2 25" suitcases I knew there had to be something even better. I found it in the bundling method. You can just google it. We actually had to take out a few items so she wouldn't go over the weight limit. It was amazing how many things she could fit into just 2 bags.

Good tip! I haven't tried putting several similar things together but may try it for the trip home. I cannot believe how much room I have in these carry-ons still. Makes me want to add more but I guess that would be defeating the purpose.

I like to pack clothes for first two days when I don't want to entirely unpack together . Main problem I have is all the meds I need to rap take and all the chargers for various devices. At least iPhone and iPad use same charger.

For our cruise last year. I did an experiment.. using rolling vs bundling method. Both methods are thought to be better than the other. I was able to fit the exact same amount of clothes using both methods. I found with rolling my clothes were slightly less wrinkly than the bundling method. Also, I found that with the bundling method I wasn't able to pull an item out easily. So if we were staying in a hotel the night before the cruise and all I wanted to do was access a couple of things.. I had to pretty much unpack the suitcase to access it. The rolling method it was easy to access the items I wanted and even if I had to unpack a bit the items were still rolled so easy to pull out and put back in.

Of course this is just my experience.

Pabrett46

For our cruise last year. I did an experiment.. using rolling vs bundling method. Both methods are thought to be better than the other. I was able to fit the exact same amount of clothes using both methods. I found with rolling my clothes were slightly less wrinkly than the bundling method. Also, I found that with the bundling method I wasn't able to pull an item out easily. So if we were staying in a hotel the night before the cruise and all I wanted to do was access a couple of things.. I had to pretty much unpack the suitcase to access it. The rolling method it was easy to access the items I wanted and even if I had to unpack a bit the items were still rolled so easy to pull out and put back in.

Of course this is just my experience.

Pabrett46

Thanks for sharing your experience. I thought I would try bundling but think I will stick with the way I have things now....rolling individually. I like the idea of being able to get things out of the suitcase easily since we are staying in hotels precruise.

I roll everything that goes with an outfit (except shoes) together. Unders, jewelry (in a ziplock) socks or hose if needed, etc. So when we stop for the evening at the hotel I only need to slip in and grab one roll and no digging.

I like the idea of rolling the complete outfit together, would make everything easier. I seem to have problems with rolling though if it is linen or cotton, I end up with alot of wrinkles. Does the Downy wrinkle release work with these fabrics?

I am going to try idea of rolling an "outfit" together for those first two nights in hotel pre-cruise.

How do you handle bulky "wintery" jackets? We are going on New England cruise in mid May. I am thinking that wintery jacket main be necessity. In the past, I have put it in compression bag. Just the bag takes up space.

I am going to try idea of rolling an "outfit" together for those first two nights in hotel pre-cruise.

How do you handle bulky "wintery" jackets? We are going on New England cruise in mid May. I am thinking that wintery jacket main be necessity. In the past, I have put it in compression bag. Just the bag takes up space.

Instead of taking a bulky winter jacket, consider taking a fleece jacket with a rain jacket layered over top. Worn together, it can be surprisingly warm and it offers more flexibilty in case it is just cool or rainy. I usually also take a small pair of gloves and a pashmina type of shawl that I use as a head or neck scarf on a blustery deck or draped over my shoulders in the dining room at dinner. This worked out fine in Alaska in early June.

I like the idea of rolling the complete outfit together, would make everything easier. I seem to have problems with rolling though if it is linen or cotton, I end up with alot of wrinkles. Does the Downy wrinkle release work with these fabrics?

I can't vouch for the Downy Wrinkle Release, but sometimes I use both techniques depending on the outfit. I roll what I can so that it fits in neatly, and levels out the bottom of the suitcase. I then lay flat any outfits that are prone to wrinkling, extending the legs or body of the outfit beyond the edge of the suitcase and then fill more outfits on top before folding the extending outfit back over the the bundle one leg or layer at a time. I still try to pack the first things that I will need on top so that I don't have to root through the entire suitcase. Socks and underwear usually go in an outside pocket, although any good stuff goes inside away from prying eyes.

I generally prefer the roll technique as I can usually also pack my wide brim straw hat in my suitcase. Pack some items in the crown of the hat and build up the area around the hat to support it. I first read about the technique on CC and there was a link on youtube. I also usually avoid high maintenance clothing such as linen when travelling unless it is meant to have a wrinkled finish and I have several tops and dresses that ideal for travelling in that they travel better if they are scrunched up into a ball.

Take just what you need with very little "just in case" clothing. Coordinate everything and only take one pair of dressy shoes. It is worth it to pack lighter.

Archived