Olden

C at Sea

Off to the Fjords in June.

Been researching the ports and having looked at the prices of P&O trips, think we can do most of the ports ourselves.

But from what I've seen, there doesn't seem a lot in Olden. The Glacier looks the best bet, but P&O trip is mega bucks!

Does anyone have any experience of Olden? Are there trips on offer at the dock? I'm probably so used to the Caribbean, where you get off and a million people offer you a trip!

Also - Flaam - I've looked into going on the railway. It says only book in advance for groups of 10 or more. Checked the times of the P&O trips and I wonder if the trains will be taken up with those passengers or if some carriages are still left vacant for independent travellers.

Any info much appreciated!

There is very little at Olden itself - just a small village with stave church and a few shops. There is a land train to somewhere (not sure where as i did the Briksdal Glacier in the morning and wandered on my own for the afternoon).

If you do want to do the glacier I suspect you would have to book the ship's tour.

308a%2520Aremis%2520at%2520Olden.JPG

I think we're on the same cruise as you. Availability for Flaam railway looks really low and we did make a group booking and still couldn't get on a train before noon. We know another family travelling on the same cruise so took a chance and booked 10 tickets, and have managed to find another couple of people via the P&O Facebook page to take the spare tickets. Depending on how many of you there are it might be worth making a group booking and seeing of you can find others to take the spare tickets. The tickets are payment on collection (I.e. You don't need to pay in advance).

Off to the Fjords in June.

Been researching the ports and having looked at the prices of P&O trips, think we can do most of the ports ourselves.

But from what I've seen, there doesn't seem a lot in Olden. The Glacier looks the best bet, but P&O trip is mega bucks!

Does anyone have any experience of Olden? Are there trips on offer at the dock? I'm probably so used to the Caribbean, where you get off and a million people offer you a trip!

Also - Flaam - I've looked into going on the railway. It says only book in advance for groups of 10 or more. Checked the times of the P&O trips and I wonder if the trains will be taken up with those passengers or if some carriages are still left vacant for independent travellers.

Any info much appreciated!

C,

I answered this question only yesterday on a thread below in Garths post 'excusion to fjords'

''Olden was my favourite port on the Fjords cruise, here are 10 or so photos from my Norway Album of Olden.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378442389702186226

see the train outside infront of the ship? This takes you to Olden Village and then all around Olden lake, £15pp, and was lovely, see views in photos. We did this in the morning, and at 1230 went on the BRIKSDAL GLACIER tour trip, more photos of that in album following Olden...

Doing it DIY is cheaper but sorry, I would be worried about the bus not turning up and me missing the ships departure... EACH TO THEIR OWN, but I prefer the security of P&O tours as the ship only waits for them and not for you.

JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER.

The land train in answer to Sharons post , goes on a good hour long journey from outside the ships berth, to Olden Village passed the church and onto the Lake, and then fully around the lake stopping at landmarks for photos.

As you may know Norway is VERY VERY expensive so probably not a good idea to take a taxi, when a glass of coke is £5.... The coach trip to Briksdal Glacier was wonderful and I feel if you are going to 'do' Norway its best not to hold back, go for it and pay for the tour to see things you'd never see again.

Flamm, I'm there in 7 weeks and have already booked the train....I've been told there isn't much else in Flamm, and once the train is full thats it you will miss the experience. If there is more than one ship in Flamm don't expect to get a seat on a train with 4-6,000 people arriving that day. I would strongly advise you to book the flamm train tickets with p&o now. Thats what I was advised.

If you do want to do the glacier I suspect you would have to book the ship's tour.

I refer to a previous post

http://www.fjord1.no/en/

If you click on the above link it will enable you to find out the local bus service to the Glacier for your date of arrival. Enter Olden and Briksdalen into the appropriate boxes.

The cost for the service bus cost me £20 for two adults and two children for a return ticket. The bus stops at the dock and then runs to the entrance of the Glacier Park. You get the same route as the P & O official tour buses too and our driver even stopped for us to take pictures en route, yet there were only us four on the bus. This route is not only unspoken of by the cruise companies but also by the tourist office in Olden who tried to send me to the wrong place to catch it. I guess everyone tries to covet their £25 minimum per person charge for taking you there.

Archived