Amtrak Seattle to Vancouver

abatlin

Will be taking my 16 year old daughter on a cruise departing from Vancouver. Originally we had thought to fly into Vancouver...then I saw a post about taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Does anyone have more info on this. It sounds like it might be very interesting.

Allison

Hi Allison:

Yes, there is a train from Seattle to Vancouver. It is train #510 "Cascades". It leaves Seattle at 7:45 A:M and arrives in Vancouver at 11:40 A:M. All other scheduled services with Amtrak are actually buses.

I have taken this train to Bellingham and it was a nice ride. We had a N.P.S (I believe) speaker on board who was telling us the history and the area. This year, I'll be taken the train all the way from Seattle to Vancouver.

If you do a search in this topic on Amtrak, you will find out more information.

There are also other options to get to Vancouver. Another option would be the Quick Shuttle bus to Vancouver.

Rogue

We're booked on the Cascades to Vancouver for our May cruise. I have made the Vancouver drive many times, but we're looking forward to relaxing on the train for a change. Have taken this train south to Portland before and it was a great trip.

Here's their website where you can get details:

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

I have also booked the one-way trip in August. I still don't believe this is true, but my Amtrak booking says it is only $60 for the three of us. (I keep thinking that is possibly the reservations charge, but the booking says it is the fare. Dare I hope?) We are really looking forward to it -- I have several friends who live in that area and all tell me it's the most relaxing and beautiful way to travel between Seattle and Vancouver.

We are taking the 510 train from Seattle to Vancouver on Monday. Our cruise leaves Vancouver on Tuesday. It was very reasonably priced I felt, in fact we are trying business class, since the price was not that much different. I'm wondering how easy it will be to find a cab at the Amtrak station in Vancouver. Do anyone have any experience with this?

We have reservations for our Cruise in May.

We paid $24 per person each way.

From Seattle to Vancouver, the train leaves Seattle at 7:45am.

For the return trip from Vancouver to Seattle, the train leave Vancouver at 6:00PM.

Have a great trip!

Sam

We have reservations for our Cruise in May.

We paid $24 per person each way.

From Seattle to Vancouver, the train leaves Seattle at 7:45am.

For the return trip from Vancouver to Seattle, the train leave Vancouver at 6:00PM.

Have a great trip!

Sam

One thing to remember, those are the only times in which you can check baggage too.... I looked into it very briefly as a "side trip", but had to unfortunately look elsewhere because the times would not work out for me.

I understand that you can check your bags at noon for the 6:00 PM return trip to Seattle.

Well, that's the only train leaving Vancouver that does accept checked baggage, which is what I was attempting to say. :) Ditto for the 7:45am that leaves Seattle...

Otherwise, it's strictly carry-on type luggage, no huge bags.

The four of us who cruise together did this journey in Sept 1999.It was a wonderful way to start our journey to Alaska and on to Hawaii.If you have a lot of luggage then get to the station in plenty of time.Its worth the extra few dollars to upgrade your seat,a good breakfast was also available onboard.No problem with cabs at Vancouver Station,do make sure your luggage is locked in the boot,as at the many sets of traffic lights between the Rail Station and the Cruise Port people have had their luggage STOLEN.You will have a memorable and relaxed journey,an ideal way to start your cruise

ENJOY

,do make sure your luggage is locked in the boot,as at the many sets of traffic lights between the Rail Station and the Cruise Port people have had their luggage STOLEN.You will have a memorable and relaxed journey,an ideal way to start your cruise

ENJOY

Old sea dog...what do you mean make sure your luggage is locked in the boot??? Is that the luggage compartment.... shouldn't amtrak lock it???

Boot = car trunk!

I think he was referring to the habit that some cabs have of leaving bulky luggage exposed in a trunk with the lid held down by a small bungie-cord. Yes, that can leave your luggage available to less-then-honest intentions who may walk behind the cab while you are at a signal (and would probably not even notice it!).

If there is room on the seat next to the driver, put some of your luggage there and be sure the trunk can close. :D

Just wanted to clarify that you can check your bags early on the Vancouver to Seattle to free you up for some sightseeing.

Sam

Unfortunately, this is not true for everyday. I went to the Amtrak website and saw that there are certain days the baggage department opens early and certain days it does not. We will be returning to Vancouver on a Wednesday, and on that day, they don't let you check in your bags until 4:30pm. :(

I called Amtrak to verify this, and discovered it was indeed, true. We're booked to return home to Seattle on the 6pm train and I haven't a clue as to what we're going to do with our luggage all day.

We have reservations at the Hyatt for the night before the cruise, and I'm hoping they'll say, "Sure. Next week when you return, feel free to leave your bags here, while you explore our lovely city." Well, one can hope.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear!

Bonnie

Bonnie,

There is a luggage check at Canada Place. I didn't use it, but I have seen it discussed on CC.

If you don't have anything in particular planned for the day you can buy an all day city pass that will allow you unlimited rides on the city buses, the sky train and the water taxis. It will cost you around 5 or 6 dollars. You will need Canadian money to purchase your pass. The sky train station at Canada Place is right across the street. You can take the sky train to the Amtrack station, which is the third stop from Canada place. After you exit the sky train take the elevator down to the lower level of the platform. The Amtrack station will be straight ahead and to your left.

Deb

Does anybody know how the procedure works at the boarder crossing from Canada into the US for foreign nationals? I do hold a valid Swiss Passport - machine readable and would like to cross the boarder under the Visa Waiver program. We would like to use the Amtrak Train after a cruise in June. Thank you.

Archived