Regent Voyager or Oceania Marina Baltic cruise?

lilnemo

We are trying to decide between between the Regent Voyager or the Oceania Marina cruising the Baltics this summer. Both cruises are very similar and after factoring in the all-inclusive factor of Regent and a penthouse cabin on Marina the prices are equal. Itineraries differ slightly with Regent having three days in St. Petersburg (as opposed to Oceania's two) and Oceania having a stop in Gdansk, both important pieces for us. If this itinerary were not so port intensive and allowed for even at least one sea day there would be no question and Marina would win hands down. While I've never cruised on Oceania I would love to try it and eat my way through the ship! We have been on Regent once (Navigator), and while we were not wowed we did enjoy it very much.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I will also post this on the Regent board.

Well I guess it comes down to personal preferences

Since you have tried Regent why not give Oceania a try then you can decide which line works best for you:D

There are several comparisons on O vs R just use the search feature (top right)

Oceania do have some cruise that stop for 3 days in SPB if that is important to you

We are trying to decide between between the Regent Voyager or the Oceania Marina cruising the Baltics this summer. Both cruises are very similar and after factoring in the all-inclusive factor of Regent and a penthouse cabin on Marina the prices are equal. Itineraries differ slightly with Regent having three days in St. Petersburg (as opposed to Oceania's two) and Oceania having a stop in Gdansk, both important pieces for us. If this itinerary were not so port intensive and allowed for even at least one sea day there would be no question and Marina would win hands down. While I've never cruised on Oceania I would love to try it and eat my way through the ship! We have been on Regent once (Navigator), and while we were not wowed we did enjoy it very much.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I will also post this on the Regent board.

I have never cruised Regent, and I never expect to. Regent's price includes all excursions, but I don't want their excursions. I don't want to be on a large tour bus with thirty-plus people. I want to arrange my own excursions; I want to decide where I want to tour and how long I want to stay at each site.

I'm willing to research our destinations and the names of outstanding guides/tour companies. Actually, I'm more than willing; I enjoy doing this. I feel my research extends the pleasure of the trip. I'm equally willing to pay the price of a private excursion for my husband and me alone.

For others who want the security of a ship-provided excursion and who want to be spared any effort doing research, Regent is probably the way to go. For my husband and me, the prospect of being on large bus tours in every port is a deal-breaker.

I have never cruised Regent, and I never expect to. Regent's price includes all excursions, but I don't want their excursions. I don't want to be on a large tour bus with thirty-plus people.

Incidentally, I've come to this point of view about large-bus tours on the basis of experience on both cruises and land trips. I've even tried a tour provider who caps its groups at 24 participants. Our particular trip had 16 guests, the upper limit of the tours Oceania labels "exclusive." Definitely an improvement over larger groups, but I still prefer a truly private excursion.

We have cruised both rather extensively. As with all things it's subjective. We find the food quality superior on Marina to our most recent Voyager and Mariner experiences. The extra specialty restaurants on Marina are a significant plus re choice in our view. We find no difference in either staff's attention to detail nor their willingness to ensure a first class experience for their guests. The larger passenger number on Marina can be noticeable around the pool. Also possibly during large welcoming events as the larger receptions, captain's, o club meeting night, etc. Not a problem, just noticeable. If you are using ship's excursions our nod for the on and off process goes to Regent. We have done Marina twice. Much improved the second time. Still not regent. Quality of the facilities, both first rate. Decor, down to personal preference. New O drinks package eliminates the need to sign if that is nettlesome. They do swipe on each order.

As an aside gdansk is high on our re-vist list. Yes, it has been reconstructed from the ruin. We found it a marvelous testament to what determination and spirit can achieve.

I have never cruised Regent, and I never expect to. Regent's price includes all excursions, but I don't want their excursions. I don't want to be on a large tour bus with thirty-plus people. I want to arrange my own excursions; I want to decide where I want to tour and how long I want to stay at each site.

I'm willing to research our destinations and the names of outstanding guides/tour companies. Actually, I'm more than willing; I enjoy doing this. I feel my research extends the pleasure of the trip. I'm equally willing to pay the price of a private excursion for my husband and me alone.

For others who want the security of a ship-provided excursion and who want to be spared any effort doing research, Regent is probably the way to go. For my husband and me, the prospect of being on large bus tours in every port is a deal-breaker.

This is why Regent doesn't appeal to me either. I particularly think with a Baltic itinerary, there are so many options for exceptional private tours, you would not get the same quality experience doing tours on a bus with a group of 30 people or more. Alternatively, there are ports that are better served exploring on your own (Amsterdam for example) where a group tour would not be wanted or necessary.

Also I don't drink enough for the all included aspect of Regent to be appealing to me, and don't think of myself as being above "signing a chit".

I'm wondering what people on Oceania typically pay for private excursions, perhaps shared with several couples. That would be a big factor for me. I would much rather do private excursions, but would worry that in this particular part of the world, they could be quite pricey.

I'm an old Radisson addict who will perhaps sail my last Regent cruise in a month, and although I don't particularly like all of the included excursions, I don't believe I have ever been on a bus with 30+ people on it, just FYI.

I'm wondering what people on Oceania typically pay for private excursions, perhaps shared with several couples.

It is like many things in life

It depends ;)

We have paid any where from $15 to $100 pp depending on where, how many, time frame etc...

Normally, I would certainly advise the Marina over Regent because I think Regents all inclusive is a scam which inflates their prices way beyond what the cruise is worth imo. However, a Baltic cruise is a different animal. Since the major attraction of that cruise is St. Peterburg make sure that you have at least three days there. Secondly, both times I have cruised to St. Petersburg it has been on small ships which dock at or close to the English Embankment which is dead center in town. Most cruise ships dock much further out because of their size (and I suspect the Marina is one of those) which takes up a lot of time each day getting back and forth to the city. Last time I was there I saw the Regent Voyager docked in the city center. This to me is a big plus. If you can find out where each ship docks it might help in your decision if this is important to you too.

I recently compared the two different cruise lines for a Baltic cruise for summer 2013 and found Oceania significantly less expensive. When I compared equal size,location and type of cabins I found Oceania about $6,000 per person less. For that amount of money I can do private excursion, stay in the best hotels pre and post cruise and drink myself silly. I decided on the Oceania Marina, July 5, 2013. We've sailed on Regent and enjoyed it very much but I feel the price difference is too great. Besides I think it is going to be exciting to be on a new ship that has received such good reviews.

Archived