Money exchange

Do I need to CD in Quebec, Montreal. Halifax, etc? I primarily use credit card. If I should get some CD, is it best to do at ATM at airport? We had one trip to Canada when we found it difficult to get CD cash. The hotel directed us to bank ATM as none of the other ATM would accept our debit card.

Do I need to CD in Quebec, Montreal. Halifax, etc? I primarily use credit card. If I should get some CD, is it best to do at ATM at airport? We had one trip to Canada when we found it difficult to get CD cash. The hotel directed us to bank ATM as none of the other ATM would accept our debit card.

I was just getting ready to post this question too. :) Hopefully, we will get an answer soon -

I'd say you should have some $CDN, at least for the small stuff. Can you buy some at your bank before your leave? I know we can do that with $US. Airport ATMs are probably an expensive way to go. It's not usually hard to find bank ATM's; you just need to find a machine that's compatible with your card......for instance, if your home back is part of the cirrus system, any machine with a cirrus logo will work. There will be a fee for the transaction, but it's a lot cheaper at a bank ATM than at a private one.

Now, my experience is mostly the reverse of yours.........finding places to use my CDN debit card while in the US. Frankly, I've never had much of a problem, but I usually buy some $US at my local back to get me started.

You will do best by going to a bank ATM (everywhere) and getting some cash. However US$ are widely accepted at a price.

Once you visit here you will want to come back, so just keep any CAD (CAnadian Dollars) you have left over.

I don't know if Canada is like Europe but we had to advise our bank before we left to go to Ireland that we would be using our ATM card there. We completed a form at the bank. This lets the bank know that someone isn't possibly using your card fraudulently out of the country. Otherwise, the bank may freeze your card if they see it being used in another country and you haven't advised them in advance.

Also, if you are going to use a credit card there you may need to call your credit card company and advise them too of the dates.

I guess I will get a little cash in Canadian dollars before leaving the U.S.

You can usually spend USD in Canada but don't expect change in USD and don't expect a good exchange rate. Better to get cash at a bank ATM. You will need a 4 digit PIN. Credit cards of the swipe type are still acceptable in the frozen north. Expect 1- 1.5% spread. For small amounts, airport currency exchange is OK but rates are terrible. -about 4% spread each way.

I would bring some Cdn$ for the small stuff. ATM's charge quite a high fee on out of country transactions. If you're willing to accept 95 cents to the dollar, carrying US$ will be fine in the cities that you mentioned.

Hi

We are coming from the UK and spending a week on board Century touring Alaska (Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Ketchican) and then spending second week going to Banff on Rocky Mountain Train before flying back from Calgary. I have been wondering which currency to get although we usually use our Credit Card (Visa) and hoped this would suffice most of the time.

I am presuming I will need $US and $CD but not sure how much (obviously depends on spending) but whether I can pay for our meals etc using credit card.

Can anybody help with this please?

Hi

We are coming from the UK and spending a week on board Century touring Alaska (Icy Strait Point, Juneau and Ketchican) and then spending second week going to Banff on Rocky Mountain Train before flying back from Calgary. I have been wondering which currency to get although we usually use our Credit Card (Visa) and hoped this would suffice most of the time.

I am presuming I will need $US and $CD but not sure how much (obviously depends on spending) but whether I can pay for our meals etc using credit card.

Can anybody help with this please?

for Canada:

Many restaurants will gladly accept credit cards - Visa is widely accepted.

so most times yes - still always wise to bring some cash so that you area ll set. Coming from the UK, definitely advise your bank for both your credit card and you debit card.

While I am Canadian, have certainly been to the states and Visa is widely accepted there as well:D

Check with your credit card company about transaction fees. When we go to Europe we pay a fee every time we use our credit card. For this reason it is better for us to get cash at ATMs. You should also notify your bank(s) where and when you will be travelling.

I always find it convenient to have a small amount of cash in the country's currency for things like pop, cabs, snacks. Then we use ATM's to get more cash. We use PIN credit and debit cards here, but swipe ones are still very widely accepted. Do be sure to inform your bank and/or credit card company about travels so they will not be frozen at an inconvenient time. Happy travels.

Ciao,

Nikki

Canadians businesses will generally accept US funds at a horrible rate of exchange. It's a convenience matter for you, it's a hassle for us. Our banks charge us $2 to $2.50 per deposit and $0.75 more for using a human teller because bank machines can't do US funds. They also charge us 3% exchange, so generally we pass it on.

You must tell your bank that you will be travelling in Canada. For Europeans and others who have EMV (Chip & Pin) you should be able to process with your chip without having to prewarn your bank, but you must pre-notify your bank if you are going to need to have your card used in older machines that still use the swipe mechanism.

Americans, you will find that restaurants will bring the machine to process your cards to you. That is because they can't process our cards without us physically being present (we need to put in a PIN).

US ATM cards that DO NOT have a MasterCard or Visa logo and are on the NYCE network will work anywhere you see the Interac logo (our debit system.) If your card has a MasterCard or Visa logo it is legally a credit card in Canada, even if it says "DEBIT" on the card. Visa and MasterCard are legally prohibited at this time from being in the debit card business in Canada. We do NOT have a Credit/Debit button on our machines, that is a violation of law. Make sure your bank realizes that (I have had one person who had a lot of trouble because he bank insisted that she use her card as debit in Canada, except that it isn't possible!)

BofA has agreements with Scotiabank for ATM usage. Small banks that are members of the ACCEL network can use HSBC and National Bank machines for free, see the Exchange Network for more information.

That being said, the only LEGAL currency in Canada is the Canadian Dollar. If you are asking to pay in USD the merchant is doing this as a courtesy (he is not legally obligated in any way, since the USD is not legal tender in Canada) and will be giving you change in Canadian Dollars. Government offices, buses and the such are not allowed to accept US currency. For example, for the buses in Montreal you must pay in CAD coins only, per person and no bills are accepting. That means that if you are paying the $3 fare, and all you have are $2 coins, it will cost you $4 because there is no change and the fare is PER PERSON, so the next person has to pay separately!

Most banks charge 2.5% to 3% surcharge when paying by credit card, but check with your bank. USAA and Capital One pass on only the rate charged them.

PS: The international currency code for Canada is CAD while the US is USD. The legal symbol for the Canadian dollar is a $ that has a single line through it. (The US legal symbol has two lines through it.)

Remember to be courteous in Canada. And if you hear some Canadian saying "excuse me" with a tone that goes from low to high with it getting slightly louder at the end, that is the polite way of saying that you are being exceedingly rude. Without the tone it just means exactly what they are saying.

Archived