Trans-Atlantic in December

RS79

I just noticed that Princess has a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise (20 days) from Venice to Galveston in December. The price is very good, but I am concerned about cruising the Mediterranean in December. Has anyone done this type of crusie before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I've done quite a few transatlantics late in the year and have had a couple of rough ones, but fortunately I am a good sailor.

I think I would worry more about the Atlantic than the Med, rather more days in the Atlantic, although of course it can be true that the shallower the sea the rougher it sometimes is.

The worst experience I had was on the NCL Gem inaugural transatlantic when we went through an area of very high winds and all the outer decks were closed, believe me there is not enough inside seating for everybody on a modern ship built for mostly days in port with most passengers ashore, or on deck around the pool.

Not bad if you have a suite to spend days in but if you have a humble inside cabin its not good.

End of the day I love cheap Transatlantics regardless of the likely weather. Rough ones are rare.

While I've never done one in December, I have done three T/A's in October/Nov. The first two embarked in the first part of October. Weather and seas were 98% perfect. This past October's T/A embarked October 19th. Weather at times was poor. Seas were also quite rough on several occasions. I don't get seasick so the rough seas didn't bother me.

I know weather can be unpredictable at times, but my guess is weather could be somewhat less that perfect. If I goot a good price however, I wouldn't hesitated to book it.....

Bob

Just expect it to be quite chilly in most ports and while crossing the Atlantic.

This ship does not have an indoor pool.

If the ship sails full (which is doubtful IMO), it will be crowded inside during the sea days.

I just noticed that Princess has a trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise (20 days) from Venice to Galveston in December. The price is very good, but I am concerned about cruising the Mediterranean in December. Has anyone done this type of crusie before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We just did one; Athens to Ft. Lauderdale 31 nights. We departed Athens on November 15th; arrived FLL December 16th. This was on the Pacific; the little ship. No bad weather that I recall.

Archived