Travel Vests

Lady Chew

I have been looking for a good travel vest for our long cruise this fall. They have all kinds of pockets, inside & outside, to carry all sorts of things - $$, passport, glasses, camera.

I would LOVE to not have to carry a purse!

I've found a couple, but they are pretty expensive. $100, $89 at LandsEnd ... they look pretty good, but I'd like to find something a little less expensive.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

I have a Columbia vest similar to one of those pictured above and it doesn't really have a lot of pockets, which is something I think the OP wants...

I just got a very lightweight travel vest from Magellan's with lots of pockets. I thought I'd use them a lot (the pockets) but I really didn't. The vest is very nice though, and I'll definitely keep it. Maybe as time goes by I'll get the hang of utilizing the pockets better. It is $55.00.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing___Women___Jackets___VestsMV954B

Do you like to sew? Saf-T Pockets patterns specializes in garments with lots of pockets, hidden and visible. The vest pattern is at http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details_v2.asp?Store_id=413&page_id=23&Item_ID=1081

Description: "This design offers the benefits of pockets to both men and women. One side of this reversible vest features two patch pockets with two hand pockets hidden underneath plus an additional zippered patch pocket on the back. The reverse side has two chest pockets, two hand pockets and a back pocket, all with zippers. Options include a cell phone pocket, epaulet to hold your camera on your shoulder and a loop for hanging your glasses. This versatile vest has side seam slits and can be made with or without a collar. The collar is designed so it can be worn up or down. Wherever your travels take you, you won’t want to be without this fantastic vest."

thanks for all the info ... I'll be checking them all out ...

no, I don't sew ... used to, but no longer

Yes, I am looking for lots of pockets, to carry glasses, passport, $$$, phone, camera ... etc

I'm returning the vest I received from LLBean, don't like the cut or the fabric or the color or the fit ... other than that, it was great! :rolleyes:

I've checked all the sites y'all have given me, and I've ordered a vest from Magellan's. Here's hoping it'll be what I want!

thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I was looking at these Vests and thought I would check CC Board and bingo, found it mentioned.

I know they are quite expensive, but they look less like a Photographers Vest and more like a 'Normal' vest. I assume you do like these? Any recommendation?

Thanks

Here you go. They've got everything you need. Plenty of pockets.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Travel_Vest.shtml

Funny, we were just researching these. DH found a nice one but I dismissed it as being too pricey but it was reversible, tan on one side and black on the other and I think that would be really great for our 16 day Colonial cruise. Likem2 for the price of 1 and no dragging a purse along on excursions. If anybody runs across it let me know..

My husband I purchased fishing vests last year and they work perfectly as travel vests for touring and for going through the airport. The cost at Bass Pro Shop (and probably other fishing/sport/outdoor stores) was $29 with a $5 off coupon making the total cost $24. There were 3 colors a grey, a kahki green, and a stone (out of stock so haven't seen) and a reddish brown.

I love this vest. I can carry so much and the weight is distributed. There is a pocket on the left hand side that is the whole top of the vest closes with a zipper (mesh material on inside) my sunglasses and camera (small point and shoot) on a long neck strap goes in here. Very convenient because can take a picture and slip it back in pocket without taking off of neck. There are 3 more zippered pockets, 2 inside pockets, 2 outside pockets with velcroe or heavy snap, and one open pocket that a water bottle fits in. Across the whole lower back of the vest is a zippered pouch (my SIL says this is a game pouch or catch pouch:eek:) but I love it for a heavy folded plastic poncho and a sun protection sweater folded flat. Loads of room. Washes very well. I do not find it hot as it does not cling and it surely is easier on hands and shoulders than a tote or purse. I leave my fully packed vest on hanger in my cabin and I'm ready to go without having to worry about forgetting something. Great in the airport -- remove send through x-ray and put back on. For going through doors with security and bag checks :p well they just don't know what to do in that it is not a bag!! Given a choice I do not remove it and have it checked -- head for the no bags line. :D If they check it -- it is only usually a poke in one pocket not all 11!

I figured I saved almost $100 by buying a fishing vest instead of a travel vest. I am happy with it. Couldn't travel without it now.

I just can't get behind the idea of wearing one of these vests on vacation. To me, nothing screams "Hey, I'm a tourist, come and pickpocket me" more than a travel vest or a fanny pack. I just carry my bag and deal with it.

I did buy a mesh vest off of Amazon.com (the Weekender Travel Vest) for my African safari - it was suggested by some friends who did safaris to get one to put my extra lens, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. in while out on safari. Well, I wore it the first day. Didn't like it. I felt like I was carrying around the 20 lbs of weight that I lost in the previous year. Just put my stuff in my daypack and used it.

I just can't get behind the idea of wearing one of these vests on vacation. To me, nothing screams "Hey, I'm a tourist, come and pickpocket me" more than a travel vest or a fanny pack. I just carry my bag and deal with it.

I did buy a mesh vest off of Amazon.com (the Weekender Travel Vest) for my African safari - it was suggested by some friends who did safaris to get one to put my extra lens, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. in while out on safari. Well, I wore it the first day. Didn't like it. I felt like I was carrying around the 20 lbs of weight that I lost in the previous year. Just put my stuff in my daypack and used it.

And it is good that you know that vest styling is not you.

No offense but why does everyone downgrade looking like a tourist? :D

The first clue that you are a tourist is that you get off a big bus that has Princess Bus #3 (or fill in your cruise line here) and even if you are not on the bus the locals know you are a tourist. I am blonde, bundled in my skin protection jacket with my large hat and sun glasses and wear orthopedic shoes. No way I blend in and no way I can do much about it -- sunburn and bad eyes/headache mean the sun protection is first. Adding the vest certainly does enhance the look. Oh yes I have been told all about -- what else do adult children exist for:D. Now the grandkids (well at least the 3yo) think I'm cool with my travel vest full of treats for them. Isn't it wonderful that we all have choices and we provide so much money and laughs to the locals!!

And it is good that you know that vest styling is not you.

No offense but why does everyone downgrade looking like a tourist? :D

The first clue that you are a tourist is that you get off a big bus that has Princess Bus #3 (or fill in your cruise line here) and even if you are not on the bus the locals know you are a tourist. I am blonde, bundled in my skin protection jacket with my large hat and sun glasses and wear orthopedic shoes. No way I blend in and no way I can do much about it -- sunburn and bad eyes/headache mean the sun protection is first. Adding the vest certainly does enhance the look. Oh yes I have been told all about -- what else do adult children exist for:D. Now the grandkids (well at least the 3yo) think I'm cool with my travel vest full of treats for them. Isn't it wonderful that we all have choices and we provide so much money and laughs to the locals!!

I've got a local lady here in town that dresses daily like you - she is not a tourist. Sun safety is not the same thing. Go anywhere and you will see people protecting themselves. I always wear sunglasses (I have probably 15 pair - different styles, different lens colors, sports glasses, dress glasses, polarized, one customized Oakley that I'm very fond of, you name it). I am known to wear hats from time to time - my favorite is my Panama fedora. I have seen the Scottevest - if I HAD no choice but to wear a travel vest, I would pony up the money for that one. The fishing/safari/photographer vest look is just not me, especially if I'm cruising the Med and visiting Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Cannes, etc. Alaska, well, OK. You could actually blend in there with that vest ;)

If you read posts on the Ports forums, you will notice all the warnings/stories about people being targeted by pickpockets, especially in Europe. If you dress more like you do daily and not deck yourself out with travel vests, fanny packs, visible neck pouches, cameras around the neck, you may not be the first picked to be "picked".

I don't do tour busses, but I think the tour pack would be somewhat safe. It's the family out by themselves, the couple, who dress like stereotypical "tourists" who might be easier targets.

Yep, I don't like travel vests. But, I have a decent selection of various types of daypacks. I'm used to carrying one daily for work and for play. I don't feel the need to change for my travel. To each his/her own.

I saw a nice vest that had all the pockets on the inside but not sure if I would like that one. I'm not too worried about somebody sticking their hands in pockets on the front of a vest though, I think I would be screaming bloody murder.

I would never wear a back pack, not too sure what you mean about a day pack but I haven't found any kind of bags be they cross body or those back sling bags that don't eventually get heavy. I doubt I will wear it on the plane but can't wait to try it out for excursions in New England this fall.

I saw a nice vest that had all the pockets on the inside but not sure if I would like that one. I'm not too worried about somebody sticking their hands in pockets on the front of a vest though, I think I would be screaming bloody murder.

I would never wear a back pack, not too sure what you mean about a day pack but I haven't found any kind of bags be they cross body or those back sling bags that don't eventually get heavy. I doubt I will wear it on the plane but can't wait to try it out for excursions in New England this fall.

That is another thing about the vests - they aren't secure. Pickpockets will go after anything - they can always resell a pair of sunglasses for money.

A daypack is a small volume bag. Sure, they eventually get heavy. But, I can shift shoulders and even carry by hand. The vest to me just weighed me down from the start. I'm sure it's just a personal thing. I have generic day hiking packs, lightweight nylon ones, camera packs and one cherished leather one. Think large purse that you carry on your back :-) Go to any department store's purse department and you will find daypacks there from many designers.

http://www.ameribag.com/classic-healthy-back-bag/

I have two like these but find they get heavy and messy in the bottom and I'm afraid to wear them on my back in tourist areas. Maybe it's time I just ditched some of the junk in my bag but I seem to always end up with DH's junk. So glad he wants to get a vest for his stuff!!

http://www.ameribag.com/classic-healthy-back-bag/

I have two like these but find they get heavy and messy in the bottom and I'm afraid to wear them on my back in tourist areas. Maybe it's time I just ditched some of the junk in my bag but I seem to always end up with DH's junk. So glad he wants to get a vest for his stuff!!

This is a true statement! Manly men always give their junk to woman to put in her PLOPPABLE (word means large enough for guide books etc!)Purse. With the vests, hubby at least has his things out of your purse. I don't understand the statement that vests are not secure. Passport and money are in zippered inside pockets under my armpit. If robber is that close, I'm not secure in my person either. I also have a lightweight nylon tote bag that he will carry but it CAN NOT look like a man purse. :rolleyes:

I have an Ameribag healthy back bag from years ago that I have from years ago and have recycled into use this summer. The thing that I like about it is that my android phone goes in the zippered inside pocket and the kindle slips in the pocket right behind it. Both are secured and protected. I also like the key fob right handy but too close to the electronics (scratch screen?:(). I lengthened the strap a little by taking off the buckle and just sewing the end securely (gives about 2 or more inches to strap) then can wear cross body with body of purse under the arm. This is as secure as you can get with a purse. I am afraid of the pacsafe bags -- I don't want to be jerked off my feet or dragged because I can't get lose from the bag. Goods can be replaced -- bodies can't! They do get heavy but all purses do. If you have back or shoulder or even hip pain it could be from your purse according to my Dr. But without my stuff -- life would not go on.

I'm thinking vests with many outside pockets are not safe for these reasons: Sure, your passport/money may be in the inside zippered pocket. What about all the other stuff you have in those other pockets? Pickpockets will go after ANY pocket and take whatever is in that pocket. Read around and see anecdotal tales of things being taken from cargo pant pockets, even though they are zipped or buttoned, things being lifted from the front pant pockets, etc. It's a crime of opportunity. Sure, you might not lose your passport or money, but the thought of someone violating my person by going after any of the other pockets is enough to say "no" to a vest.

I am looking at both the Magellan and Scottevest but I am leaning more for the Scottevest. The reason being is I don't believe the Magellan pockets are big enough for my Kindle and definitely not big enough for a tablet. The Scottevest also has 22 pockets while the Magellan has 8. While I can't imagine using all the pockets it gives you more options. I would be more apt to carry these items on the plane rather than ashore but I may want to carry my iPad or Kindle. That way all I have to do is put my vest in the basket for review after I remove the iPad.

As for security there are plenty of stories of bags being cut off your shoulder stolen when you put them down while eating so I don't believe that a vest is anymore of a security risk than a bag. In the airport I may carry money and pass port in the vest but after that they will go into a money belt. Yes pickpockets are opportunist and if you give them the opportunity they will take advantage of you whether you have a vest, bag, or clothing. A thief will also know if you are a tourist if you have a vest on or not.

I don't know the dimensions of the Scottevest but these are the pocket dimensions of the Magellan.

Five exterior front pockets: one zippered pocket 7 x 6", two Velcro close pockets 5 3/4 x 7-3/8", one Velcro close pocket 6 ½ x 3 ¾", one gusseted Velcro close cell-phone pocket 6 ½ x 3"

Three interior pockets: one zippered pocket 8 ½ x 5", one slip pocket 9 x 5", one slip mesh pocket 5 ½ x 4"

Here is a review of the three top travel vests http://besttravelvest.com/scottevest-travel-vest-review/.

Shak

I wonder about the size of the vest. When you place lots in the pockets it takes up room and you need to be able to wear a sweater/jacket under the vest. My vest has some well placed mesh and that is something to think about -- don't want it too tight, pockets as OP said to hold what you normally carry and the weight should be light.

Shak, thanks for the links to the reviews. I was leaning more toward the Magellan just because of cost but like the Scottevest better. A friends husband has the jacket where the sleeves come off and loves it.

Oh, and I did read on one of the web sites to order a size larger but can't remember if that was Magellan or Scottevest.

I'm aware that a bag is just as much at risk as anything. When I sit down to eat, the bag actually goes in front of me between my legs. I always loop one strap around my leg so they'll have to pull it off me, like they would if I was walking around. I even do this at home in the US when I go out dining - for no other reason that I won't forget it since it's tethered to me.

Sure, thieves can spot a tourist at 200 yards. But, they look for the tourist who looks most vulnerable. I just try to do my best to self-cull myself from the tourist herd and leave the rest for the thieves. I'm mostly a solo traveler. It is more important for me to know how the locals dress and I try to adapt to that. I also walk around confidently everywhere I go, even if I'm slightly lost. A restroom stall is an excellent place to pull out the map and find my way :D I believe that helps to keep me a little more off the radar. I know this is anecdotal, but I've traveled solo for years to different parts of the world and my methods have served me well. I cruise occasionally, but most of my travels have been land-based. Perhaps it is because I have had the opportunity to spend more time in places to settle in and try to become part of the locale that I am more comfortable in how I dress/carry.

Archived