If you can't beat em...

donoiv

But there is the problem. Where is the rule? I looked for it.. And couldn't find it. Not on the little towel hut... Not on the pool rules sign... Not a mention in the fun times... Nothing (didn't check serenity area... But we didn't sit up there) if I am looking for it.. And can not find it... How is one to know unless they have cruised in th past? Maybe they quietly did away with the rule

When we were on the Legend in January it was clearly stated in the Funtimes every single day. maybe its up to the individual CD as to whether to put it in there or not. But I sat and waited 1/2 an hur watching chairs and when 1/2 hour went by and nobody claimed their stuff I went to the towel guy and told him I was going to be moving said items to the deck beside the chair because of the posted rules. The towel guy always documented said items and times on paper and followed me to the chairs and collected the stuff while I settled in to my spot in the sun.

Unless you were the poor sole being

airlifted off a cruise ship.

Probably was not just for a ride!!

So yeah, I wasn't minimizing the situation at all... just mentioning that it was interesting to see the operation in progress. Don't think I mentioned anyone getting lifted off just so they could give it a try?!?!

...The ended up covering it on the news. Was a crew member with pregnancy complications. They didn't have an update on her status... just that she was still in the hospital... My prayers are with her.

...While you and others may have "joined them", there are still some of us out there that refuse to change the way we were raised- not even for a chair in a prime sun spot.

I love this.

My challenge is not letting the rude behavior of others get me all worked up and agitated, while still steadfastly adhering to the rules of politeness I was brought up with.

I wish the cruise lines would work harder to enforce the "no hog" rule. Sure, it would take a little more effort, but it would make for a better experience for the vast majority of the passengers, including most of the chair hogs.

I don't want to get up that early either... But I also don't want to be unhappy the whole week... And if someone moves my stuff... And it isn't someone with authority... I'm on vacation... But there is going to be a problem... ESPECIALLY when there isn't a sign in sight. Like I said, I have always been respectful of the chairs.... But that's over... Too much time wasted on being mad at others reserving the chairs... I can play the game too

If you left your belongings on a park bench and left for several hours would you expect your stuff to still be there? Most would not..Just because you are on a ship, common sense is still necessary! I am not saying people should steal and that you are wrong for leaving your things out, that is your choice. However it is a risk that each 'chair hog' takes and to have the attitude like you did in this post is immature.. Just sayin'..

I saw signage on the Dream about the time limit on seat saving. I also saw plenty of chairs that appeared to have violated the rule.I also rememeber hearing an announcement at least once. I didn't find myself without a chair when needed enough to make me upset - although I still find it to be inconsiderate. I dont enjoy being by the pool, but if my kids were with me I wouldn't want to stand the whole time I was supervising them, so that could be annoying.

We mostly used the serenity deck on this trip and saw more seats saved than occupied at all times of the day. Solution for us was to do something different during the day and we visit serenity at night during first seating dinner or after the late shows. It's way more serene after dark ;)

When we were on the Legend in January it was clearly stated in the Funtimes every single day. maybe its up to the individual CD as to whether to put it in there or not. But I sat and waited 1/2 an hur watching chairs and when 1/2 hour went by and nobody claimed their stuff I went to the towel guy and told him I was going to be moving said items to the deck beside the chair because of the posted rules. The towel guy always documented said items and times on paper and followed me to the chairs and collected the stuff while I settled in to my spot in the sun.

Good for you for following the rules and getting your seat on! We can only wonder how long those people actually were gone before they came back, if they even did.

Chalk one up to the good guys! :)

I wish the cruise lines would work harder to enforce the "no hog" rule. Sure, it would take a little more effort, but it would make for a better experience for the vast majority of the passengers, including most of the chair hogs.

I have solution that could also become an onboard game for those who are interested in participating. The game would be called "Bigger, Better Hog!"

Each cruise ship puts aside a certain number of chairs (say 50) in the "game area" near the pool but not completely surrounding it. (so we have room for game fans to sit and watch) All other chairs are off limits. These 50 chairs are considered fair game for those hogs who want to get up and claim them first. The start time for the game would be restricted to 4 am daily to eliminate late nite cheaters- boy, you know how we hate cheaters! Each participant is allowed to claim as many chairs as they have in their party "plus one" to make it interesting. You know, in case they gain a travel member on the trip. But the catch, you knew there would be a catch right, is that each toweled chair can be "re-hogged" but only twice (yes I know. It sounds like a christmas party game) Anyway, once the clock strikes 9 am or there are 50 non-participating people in search of chairs, whichever comes first, those chairs are locked in and the hogs have staked their claim for the day. Of course, with so many hoggers getting out-hogged, there is likely to be some unlawful movements going on prior to the winning hoggers getting back. This would be considered illegal but who is going to know right? And besides, if you get out-hogged by another hogger, then they must be the "Bigger, Better Hog" thus the name of the game!

All royalties for this game invention can be put into my S&S card acct. Thank you! :)

Just back from the Magic. First Carnival experience and I have to say it was a fantastic trip. Great choice for those with kids... The water park kept my 6 year old entertained for hours on end. Food was pretty good... Drinks were fantastic. Surprised by Montego Bay. Had never been... Heard a lot of negatives... But we loved it. Just did the hop on hop off bus to Rose Hall shops and then to Doctors Cave beach... Had planned on Iberostar for the day, but we took a chance on the less expensive option... Worked out famously.

So if you can't beat em... Join em... And by this, I mean "chair hogging". Have joked around on the boards in the past about this... But have never been one. Always respected "the rules". So... On our first sea day I slept in till the ungodly hour of 8:00. Went up to the lido deck and noticed all the chairs were "taken". Walked around for 90 minutes and finally found 3 chairs that we could drag together. The whole time I was grumbling to myself about how rude and inconsiderate everyone was. Very frustrating. Promised myself it wouldn't happen again. On friday and Saturday I got up and found three chairs around 6 am... Many had Already been "taken". Threw some towels on them along with. Backpack... And went back to sleep for two hours. Arrived back around 9:00 and found my prime chairs waiting for me to bake in the sun. No frustration and no anger... Just two happy vacation days.

I am now a convert. Blast if you must, but I am on vacation and I am going to enjoy it.

One final thought... And I will wait for the flames to begin. Not once.. Never... Did I see any signs indicating that it was not ok to "hog" a chair... Not in the fun times... And not on the list of pool rules... I looked for it... And didn't see it. Next time you cruise with me... And want the same chairs that I do... Better get up early... Cause I will get them first... And will keep em all day :)

Cherrio

I don't see what you did as chair hogging. People that don't use the chair until late afternoon are the ones that bother me. If you are in that chair from 9am until the afternoon I don't see the problem!!

Just back from the Magic. First Carnival experience and I have to say it was a fantastic trip. Great choice for those with kids... The water park kept my 6 year old entertained for hours on end. Food was pretty good... Drinks were fantastic. Surprised by Montego Bay. Had never been... Heard a lot of negatives... But we loved it. Just did the hop on hop off bus to Rose Hall shops and then to Doctors Cave beach... Had planned on Iberostar for the day, but we took a chance on the less expensive option... Worked out famously.

So if you can't beat em... Join em... And by this, I mean "chair hogging". Have joked around on the boards in the past about this... But have never been one. Always respected "the rules". So... On our first sea day I slept in till the ungodly hour of 8:00. Went up to the lido deck and noticed all the chairs were "taken". Walked around for 90 minutes and finally found 3 chairs that we could drag together. The whole time I was grumbling to myself about how rude and inconsiderate everyone was. Very frustrating. Promised myself it wouldn't happen again. On friday and Saturday I got up and found three chairs around 6 am... Many had Already been "taken". Threw some towels on them along with. Backpack... And went back to sleep for two hours. Arrived back around 9:00 and found my prime chairs waiting for me to bake in the sun. No frustration and no anger... Just two happy vacation days.

I am now a convert. Blast if you must, but I am on vacation and I am going to enjoy it.

One final thought... And I will wait for the flames to begin. Not once.. Never... Did I see any signs indicating that it was not ok to "hog" a chair... Not in the fun times... And not on the list of pool rules... I looked for it... And didn't see it. Next time you cruise with me... And want the same chairs that I do... Better get up early... Cause I will get them first... And will keep em all day :)

Cherrio

I have noticed that on some ships they do not put it in the fun times. And on some cruises it is not posted untill a few days after sailing. I have never seen it posted around the pool, execpt in the serenity area. And I have never seen it on the Carnival website. So with that being said, How would people know the rules if they are not anywhere to be seen? Also it should be posted on the decks, not everyone reads the back of the fun times.

Why do there have to be rules posted or do you have to be a seasoned cruiser for you to know how to behave. It's called manners and being polite. You don't own those chairs.

The chairs are for everyone on the ship to use. If you don't have your body in it

and your inattimate things are there. Sorry I paid to use the chair. Your towel didn't so it goes in the corner.

Cherrio

You got it all wrong. The best way to beat the chair hogs is not to join them but to USE them to your advantage. Why get up at the un-Godly hour of 6AM to reserve a chair? Let the Chair Hog do that for you. You sleep in, go get something to eat, have a coffee and then go to the pool deck. Pick out 2 obviously hogged chairs (backpacks, sandals, books and towels draped over multiple chairs are a dead give away), remove the stuff on them carefully placing the items on the floor and then take the chairs and move them to another location nearby. If ever the Hog returns, they look around in stunned confusion wondering who took their chair. You smile to yourself in quiet gratitude that they had the common decency to get up early and reserve your chair for you. How nice. Cruisers are a friendly lot are they not?

Id have to play musical chairs and move everyones personal items around,then grab a coffee and people watch from deck 10

Often have that thought when I look down from deck 10 and see all the chairs around the pool holding nothing but towels, novels, flip-flops and sunglasses. :)

Don't really care that much about "poolside" chairs. Living in So Cal with pools everywhere, postage-stamp-sized pools 5' deep aren't very exciting. But, I can see parents with children wanting to be close to their little ones.:)

You got it all wrong. The best way to beat the chair hogs is not to join them but to USE them to your advantage. Why get up at the un-Godly hour of 6AM to reserve a chair? Let the Chair Hog do that for you. You sleep in, go get something to eat, have a coffee and then go to the pool deck. Pick out 2 obviously hogged chairs (backpacks, sandals, books and towels draped over multiple chairs are a dead give away), remove the stuff on them carefully placing the items on the floor and then take the chairs and move them to another location nearby. If ever the Hog returns, they look around in stunned confusion wondering who took their chair. You smile to yourself in quiet gratitude that they had the common decency to get up early and reserve your chair for you. How nice. Cruisers are a friendly lot are they not?

Another GREAT SOLUTION. :)

Also it should be posted on the decks, not everyone reads the back of the fun times.

Not every intersection is posted "Do not run red lights" but not everyone reads the laws and statutes of their state so I don't need to stop. Agree? :p

OP, glad you had a great time!!

One word of caution, don't be surprised to arrive at your hogged chair someday and find your stuff lying on the deck and the chairs taken. Plenty of people like me that will do that in a heartbeat.

I'm a hog hunter, and proud of it. :cool:

Why do there have to be rules posted or do you have to be a seasoned cruiser for you to know how to behave. It's called manners and being polite. You don't own those chairs.

The chairs are for everyone on the ship to use. If you don't have your body in it

and your inattimate things are there. Sorry I paid to use the chair. Your towel didn't so it goes in the corner.

I think the point is that if you are new... and you see a large majority of the chairs with towels... and you don't see anything telling you otherwise... you are going to get your chair... instead of hating your vacation and only resolving it by coming back and complaining on CC... It's a self fulfilling deal. I am going to get my chairs... because I will end up using them for most of the day... if I have to get up... or have my wife get up... that's what's going to happen. Tired of not having fun because I don't just join in on the way most others are doing it. Contrary to popular belief, most cruisers don't spend hours on these boards... so they don't know it's an issue.

Chair hogs have been a big problem on each of my eight cruises with Carnival and is one reason I will probably not cruise again.

You won't cruise again because of a chairhog????????:confused:

On my upcoming cruise I am planning on getting up real early taking 4 chairs down to the lobby deck and put them out on the promenade and reserve them for myself and my wife and friends. We don't have a balcony,,so I am going to make my own.

Not every intersection is posted "Do not run red lights" but not everyone reads the laws and statutes of their state so I don't need to stop. Agree? :p

In order to get your license these days you have to go to school, and take lessons. It is well known that red means stop. Can I go right on red in Montana? Hmmm I dont know, but I do it in every state I go to. I must have missed Carnival University.

Manners is another thing, not everyone is nice.

I have never had a problem finding a chair somewhere on deck until last week's Conquest cruise. The first sea day, we didn't go on deck until 10, and there were absolutely NO open chairs anywhere. The second sea day, we got out there at 7:15 and we grabbed the last two chairs we saw. The chairs by the pool were NEVER available. We saw people circling the ship several times with all their stuff in hand looking for a chair. I guess we had a full ship with lots of chair hogs. A couple came up to us inquiring about the 5 chairs next to us being saved by towels. Just then, the family of 5 came up saying that they'd had the chairs saved since 6am and that they would use them as soon as they had breakfast. It was 11:30 :eek:, and that was the first we'd seen of them!!

Archived