If you can't beat em...

donoiv

The funny thing that I see is that there are a lot of people who are so righteous and adamant about following the rules and having manners, but will commit a wrong against the chair hogs in a heartbeat. I don't hog, and if I am dumb enough to stand around for half an hour of my vacation watching a chair to see if someone is against the hog rules, I do what is written in the FunTimes (sometimes) and find an attendant, aka, following the rules. Common curtesy tells me not to put someones belongings on the dirty deck floor. I think a wiki check of "double standards" or "two wrongs don't make a right", might help this situation.

the funny thing that i see is that there are a lot of people who are so righteous and adamant about following the rules and having manners, but will commit a wrong against the chair hogs in a heartbeat. I don't hog, and if i am dumb enough to stand around for half an hour of my vacation watching a chair to see if someone is against the hog rules, i do what is written in the funtimes (sometimes) and find an attendant, aka, following the rules. Common curtesy tells me not to put someones belongings on the dirty deck floor. I think a wiki check of "double standards" or "two wrongs don't make a right", might help this situation.

+1.

That would be hilarious! Great idea.

There's actually a great time lapse of the pool on Magic from last week on YouTube. Just Search for "Carnival Magic" and sort by upload date... interesting view.

Chair hogs don't bother me as I am not a sun bather. I may take a quick dip in the pool but I don't need to be laying by the pool to do that. After that I will dry off and get a drink and go back to the cabin an hang out on the balcony if the sun isn't beating down on it.. I paid for it and there is no one to bother me. Take the cushions off of the sofa and lounge on the balcony on top of them while reading my book and having my drink. Don't need a audience or be in public to do that. If it is sunny will find something else to do, don't need to lay around all day and night. Need to spend some time eating and drinking.

I have only been on 2 Carnival cruises and I have yet to see a "chair hog". But I need to ask myself though.. do I care? ... Nope! Not at all! Why? Because I am sure I can find somewhere else to sit and if not, I will just go hang in the pool. I know that not everyone else will agree with this or see it that way but I am on vacation. I argue with people 5-6 days a week starting at 5am! I don't want to go on vacation and argue about someone's "spot" or being a chair hog. I am on this cruise to have a good time and the last thing I want to do or worry about are "chair hogs". :rolleyes:

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The funny thing that I see is that there are a lot of people who are so righteous and adamant about following the rules and having manners, but will commit a wrong against the chair hogs in a heartbeat. I don't hog, and if I am dumb enough to stand around for half an hour of my vacation watching a chair to see if someone is against the hog rules, I do what is written in the FunTimes (sometimes) and find an attendant, aka, following the rules. Common curtesy tells me not to put someones belongings on the dirty deck floor. I think a wiki check of "double standards" or "two wrongs don't make a right", might help this situation.

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from the Magic. First Carnival experience and I have to say it was a fantastic trip. Great choice for those with kids... The water park kept my 6 year old entertained for hours on end. Food was pretty good... Drinks were fantastic. Surprised by Montego Bay. Had never been... Heard a lot of negatives... But we loved it. Just did the hop on hop off bus to Rose Hall shops and then to Doctors Cave beach... Had planned on Iberostar for the day, but we took a chance on the less expensive option... Worked out famously.

So if you can't beat em... Join em... And by this, I mean "chair hogging". Have joked around on the boards in the past about this... But have never been one. Always respected "the rules". So... On our first sea day I slept in till the ungodly hour of 8:00. Went up to the lido deck and noticed all the chairs were "taken". Walked around for 90 minutes and finally found 3 chairs that we could drag together. The whole time I was grumbling to myself about how rude and inconsiderate everyone was. Very frustrating. Promised myself it wouldn't happen again. On friday and Saturday I got up and found three chairs around 6 am... Many had Already been "taken". Threw some towels on them along with. Backpack... And went back to sleep for two hours. Arrived back around 9:00 and found my prime chairs waiting for me to bake in the sun. No frustration and no anger... Just two happy vacation days.

I am now a convert. Blast if you must, but I am on vacation and I am going to enjoy it.

One final thought... And I will wait for the flames to begin. Not once.. Never... Did I see any signs indicating that it was not ok to "hog" a chair... Not in the fun times... And not on the list of pool rules... I looked for it... And didn't see it. Next time you cruise with me... And want the same chairs that I do... Better get up early... Cause I will get them first... And will keep em all day :)

Cherrio

donoiv,

Please book Breeze for March 30 2013; I'll get up at whatever time I wake up and stroll up on deck and keep your chairs warm for you. When you arrive you can have your stuff back. :D

You didn't see a sign that said you couldn't save chairs and I don't recall seeing any signs saying the free stuff on the chairs belongs to other people. To me it's just free stuff. ;)

I've never moved or taken ownership of any of the free stuff before, but next week I'm going to do so in honor of your conversion to chair hogdom. If confronted, which I seriously doubt will happen, I'll just say donoiv made me do it.

OP- I completely understand where you are coming from and if I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. It's so funny when people get so uptight about such a small issue. Is not getting a chair in a prime location really going to ruin your day? I don't think so. if it is, you have issues. When we cruise, we are all on VACATION. When I think of vacation, I do not think of arguing over trivial issues.

I forget who said it, but they went on a long rant about how chair hogging is just one example of how society is inconsiderate today. Chair hogging is definitely NOT a good indication of how society as a whole is going down the drain. False analagy sir...false analagy.

Flame me if you want. I couldn't care less. I speak my honest opinions. Happy cruising!

Many had Already been "taken". Threw some towels on them along with. Backpack... And went back to sleep for two hours. Arrived back around 9:00 and found my prime chairs waiting for me to bake in the sun. No frustration and no anger... Just two happy vacation days.

Not once.. Never... Did I see any signs indicating that it was not ok to "hog" a chair... Not in the fun times... And not on the list of pool rules... I looked for it... And didn't see it. Next time you cruise with me... And want the same chairs that I do... Better get up early... Cause I will get them first... And will keep em all day :)

Cherrio

2 ?'s and no flames intended.

1.) What if when you get back on the deck at 9am and your backpack and towels weren't there? I only ask because we were at the pool on the Destiny around Noon when a guy came up very angry and asked where his towels and books were. It seems that he put them on the chairs around 6am and someone moved them. When we got to the pool deck, we saw people leaving and asked if they were coming back and they told us no, that we could have the chairs. Appearently they moved this other guys belongings and he thought it was us. When he started cussing at us, people around us said we just got there and that others were there before us. I thought the guy, 30 years younger than me, was going to throw a punch at me until the others chimed in.

2.) Didn't the Magic have a message banner on the MUTS stating no chair saving? I know there was one on the Dream and the Destiny.

Glad you had a great time on the Magic.

There's actually a great time lapse of the pool on Magic from last week on YouTube. Just Search for "Carnival Magic" and sort by upload date... interesting view.

Thanks, found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvXaQh-sII8

At 3 minutes 12 seconds seems almost all chairs were saved...and empty.

OP- I completely understand where you are coming from and if I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. It's so funny when people get so uptight about such a small issue. Is not getting a chair in a prime location really going to ruin your day? I don't think so. if it is, you have issues. When we cruise, we are all on VACATION. When I think of vacation, I do not think of arguing over trivial issues.

I forget who said it, but they went on a long rant about how chair hogging is just one example of how society is inconsiderate today. Chair hogging is definitely NOT a good indication of how society as a whole is going down the drain. False analagy sir...false analagy.

Flame me if you want. I couldn't care less. I speak my honest opinions. Happy cruising!

Its obviously not a small issue. If it was then threads like this wouldn't get hundreds of hits everytime.

I remember on the Valor a couple years ago I could not get a chair on sea days anywhere. I don't need to be by the pool and in fact would rather not be. With the TV blaring or music, I'd rather have a swim and then find a quiet spot up above away from all that noise. On both sea days every single chair in the sun was taken. I estimated that half had a body in them. The rest were held by towels, books, sandals, hats, magazines, scarf, one sneaker and someone even had the gall to print up a sign and attach it to the chair with their name on it and the fact that it was reserved. I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say I could not get a chair anywhere. That is not a small problem, its a disgusting lack of politeness and courtesy. But that won't happen again. If I circle the deck and find a chair in the sun, great. If not I look for people like yourself who have obviously hogged a chair. I remove their stuff and move the chair nearby and take it. I then hope and pray that the hog returns (they never do though) so I can have a good chuckle at their expense.

While I agree that equating a small event like chair hogging to the overall decline in society is a bit dramatic, as someone mentioned earlier it's a symptom of the entitlement era that we are living in. There is no compassion or consideration for others and manners have gone out the window. It is rude and inconsiderate to place your items on a chair then disappear for two hours (or more). You do not own that chair, it's community property via Carnival for the use of it's passengers. Note the word USE - as in plopping your butt in it, not your items. Chairs are not bins, if you need someplace to hold your stuff, consider buying a large beach bag.

But I do agree with those who say it's not worth getting worked up for. I'm on vacation to get away from the stress and aggravation. For that reason, I don't spend a lot of time by the pool. I don't want to fight for a chair, plus I find it too noisy (I prefer the Serenity deck and thankfully did not have trouble finding a chair on the Dream). However, those who may have young children or people who enjoy being by the pool should have fair access to the chairs. If I were such a person, I would have no problem getting an attendant to remove people's items. I'm 5'7 and a big girl, so I don't intimidate easily. ;)

That is not a small problem, its a disgusting lack of politeness and courtesy...I remove their stuff and move the chair nearby and take it. I then hope and pray that the hog returns (they never do though) so I can have a good chuckle at their expense.

And you find nothing wrong with touching someone elses belongings and putting it on the dirty deck floor? To me thats a disgusting lack of politeness and courtesy. So is laughing at anothers expense. If someone really cared about politeness and courtesy, they would get the attendent to hold the stuff at the towel hut like the rules the chair hog police preach about state.

And you find nothing wrong with touching someone elses belongings and putting it on the dirty deck floor? To me thats a disgusting lack of politeness and courtesy. So is laughing at anothers expense. If someone really cared about politeness and courtesy, they would get the attendent to hold the stuff at the towel hut like the rules the chair hog police preach about state.

I would never leave my belongings unattended.Why should People have to stand with a stop watch and time people and waste there own time getting a towel attendant(who has a job of getting and collecting towels not babysitting other peoples junk )

donoiv,

Please book Breeze for March 30 2013; I'll get up at whatever time I wake up and stroll up on deck and keep your chairs warm for you. When you arrive you can have your stuff back. :D

You didn't see a sign that said you couldn't save chairs and I don't recall seeing any signs saying the free stuff on the chairs belongs to other people. To me it's just free stuff. ;)

I've never moved or taken ownership of any of the free stuff before, but next week I'm going to do so in honor of your conversion to chair hogdom. If confronted, which I seriously doubt will happen, I'll just say donoiv made me do it.

Perfect.

2 ?'s and no flames intended.

1.) What if when you get back on the deck at 9am and your backpack and towels weren't there? I only ask because we were at the pool on the Destiny around Noon when a guy came up very angry and asked where his towels and books were. It seems that he put them on the chairs around 6am and someone moved them. When we got to the pool deck, we saw people leaving and asked if they were coming back and they told us no, that we could have the chairs. Appearently they moved this other guys belongings and he thought it was us. When he started cussing at us, people around us said we just got there and that others were there before us. I thought the guy, 30 years younger than me, was going to throw a punch at me until the others chimed in.

2.) Didn't the Magic have a message banner on the MUTS stating no chair saving? I know there was one on the Dream and the Destiny.

Glad you had a great time on the Magic.

1) I would look for my stuff... if it's gone... oh well. Nothing of vlaue in the backpack and there are plenty of towels to borrow so I don't get chaged for someone else taking mine.

2) No, that annoying screen never had a banner.

I do not see anything wrong with throwing a chair hogs items on the dirty floor if I want a chair. It is better than throwing them overboard. I never leave my belongs unattended but always take them with me.

I do not see anything wrong with throwing a chair hogs items on the dirty floor if I want a chair. It is better than throwing them overboard. I never leave my belongs unattended but always take them with me.

Sounds rude, selfish and spiteful to me.

There is no posted rule about cutting in lines or yelling in the hallways by cabin doors at 3AM either but common courtesy and decency tell us its wrong to do.

I don't really have much else to say as I will be in the minority on thinking its wrong. You will have plenty of support on Cruise Critic though. I hope your cruise was great and as are your future ones.

Completely concur!!!

I don't see what you did as chair hogging. People that don't use the chair until late afternoon are the ones that bother me. If you are in that chair from 9am until the afternoon I don't see the problem!!

It's chair hogging because no one but a towel was sitting in that chair from 6am till 9am. Do you think no one gets up before 9am so it doesn't matter??

So feel free to quote any Carnival source that states a passenger may not touch someome's lost articles and turn them in so they can be claimed? No need to type it all out, just post the link. Then you'll have proof that moving someone's lost property to the towel hut is "wrong" or a violation of the rules.

1) I would look for my stuff... if it's gone... oh well. Nothing of vlaue in the backpack and there are plenty of towels to borrow so I don't get chaged for someone else taking mine.

2) No, that annoying screen never had a banner.

Ahhhh, so you would steal someones towels (borrow) so you don't get charged.

I haven't been on the Magic so I can not say for sure but, I would almost bet that that message was on the annoying screen, you just didn't see it.

Anyway, please do not steal my towels if we are on the same cruise. I will be in the pool and will see you messing with my stuff. Then we wil have a little conversation as to why you are taking my stuff.;):D

Archived