If you can't beat em...

donoiv

I've been to many resorts in my life and at every one of them, people reserve their chairs with towels very early in the morning. Just one of the things that people do. Not sure why people get so uptight about stuff on vacation especially.

So, if we can't beat them we should encourage MORE people to do it so it becomes a bigger problem...yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I have removed more than 1 beach towel and LOVE to watch the faces of those that look around for them when they finally show up...would be even better to see their faces when they get their sign and sail bill and are charged for those missing towels...maybe I will just start selling them back to the other chair hogs at a discount...I could pay for my sign and sail account with the proceeds.:eek::D

So I never have any problem neatly folding up a towel in a chair and taking its place as seat saver. If the towel's owner happens to come back, I just smile and say, "just keeping the chair warm for you," and get up to leave. Only had the hog come back once, though, and she offered me her other "reserved" chair.

No stress, no conflict. Everyone was happy.

Exactly... just like a music festival. You borrow the chair and enjoy until the owner returns... then find another hog reserved chair and repeat. Let the hogs get up at the crack of dawn. ;)

I don't really have much else to say as I will be in the minority on thinking its wrong. You will have plenty of support on Cruise Critic though. I hope your cruise was great and as are your future ones.
I'm fairly new to the Carnival side of Cruise Critic. On the other boards, however, chair hogs aren't thought of very kindly. They're treated as immature and selfish brats.

I'm fairly new to the Carnival side of Cruise Critic. On the other boards, however, chair hogs aren't thought of very kindly. They're treated as immature and selfish brats.

Exactly! So, what are we teaching our "little piggies"? To grow up and become a Chair Hog!!! :D

I find there is much more sympathy for them on this board than others where I mainly lurk.

I also find more converters on this board than others...but it could have to do with the fact that some of the other lines actually enforce this rule.

I also find more converters on this board than others...but it could have to do with the fact that some of the other lines actually enforce this rule.

I heard it wasn't enforced on my brothers cruise on Princess last year. He has a small child and needed to be nearby so he just moved the peoples stuff to the attendant.

Unless you were the poor sole being

airlifted off a cruise ship.

Probably was not just for a ride!!

Thanks. It was a fantastic time. Interesting ending. Someone had to be airlifted last night around 11:30... Not sure what happened... But cool to see the coast guard chopper in action.

Some rules and actions in life are not written anywhere. They are just common sense out of courtesy for others. What ever happened to politeness and compassion for others? We don't hold open doors for little ole ladies because there's a sign that says so. We dont say "please" and "thank you" because there's a sign that says so. We do these things because they are the right thing to do. They show us as being nice and caring for others. Back when more people did those things, this was a better place. Now that we live in a society of "me, me, me" and the entitlement era, I guess manners and caring have been replaced with "what's in it for me?". While you and others may have "joined them", there are still some of us out there that refuse to change the way we were raised- not even for a chair in a prime sun spot.

On a side note- how 'bout we go early to the MDR and reserve our seats in there with a towel so we can come back later to dine when we want to while taking in the best views from there as well? Sounds like a plan to me!!!! Oh wait, they dont allow that. But I am sure there aint no sign in there that says "please do not reserve seats at your table for patrons who may (or may not) show up later to dine".

Let the flood gates open up.....:cool:

Well said, Dolfinsfan!

I heard it wasn't enforced on my brothers cruise on Princess last year. He has a small child and needed to be nearby so he just moved the peoples stuff to the attendant.

I know the feeling. I have really only seem them diligent about it on Celebrity...RCCL is SUPPOSED to do it but they are hit or miss too...

My daughter likes to swim so I need to be near the pool so I can see her. Some ships have a nice little area on the edge of the pool I am more than happy to sit on, but I am not going to stand so a bunch of towels and flip flops can sit in the poolside chairs...

If you get up at 6am to secure a chair then by all means have it :) my arse will still be in bed and I am perfectly willing to sit farther away for the right to sleep in :)

Would love to have time-lapsed photography of those who put their stuff down at 6 am only to return to look for it come noon-ish. It could then be played on the wide-screen for everyone on the boat to see.

Talk about a learning experience! :p

I have only been on 2 Carnival cruises and I have yet to see a "chair hog". But I need to ask myself though.. do I care? ... Nope! Not at all! Why? Because I am sure I can find somewhere else to sit and if not, I will just go hang in the pool. I know that not everyone else will agree with this or see it that way but I am on vacation. I argue with people 5-6 days a week starting at 5am! I don't want to go on vacation and argue about someone's "spot" or being a chair hog. I am on this cruise to have a good time and the last thing I want to do or worry about are "chair hogs". :rolleyes:

Some rules and actions in life are not written anywhere. They are just common sense out of courtesy for others. What ever happened to politeness and compassion for others? We don't hold open doors for little ole ladies because there's a sign that says so. We dont say "please" and "thank you" because there's a sign that says so. We do these things because they are the right thing to do. They show us as being nice and caring for others. Back when more people did those things, this was a better place. Now that we live in a society of "me, me, me" and the entitlement era, I guess manners and caring have been replaced with "what's in it for me?". While you and others may have "joined them", there are still some of us out there that refuse to change the way we were raised- not even for a chair in a prime sun spot.

On a side note- how 'bout we go early to the MDR and reserve our seats in there with a towel so we can come back later to dine when we want to while taking in the best views from there as well? Sounds like a plan to me!!!! Oh wait, they dont allow that. But I am sure there aint no sign in there that says "please do not reserve seats at your table for patrons who may (or may not) show up later to dine".

Let the flood gates open up.....:cool:

Very well said. As I have heard and often repeat, "Character is doing the right thing even when nobody is watching." If we go with the idea of "there's no sign" then we open up the flood gates for all sorts of horrible behavior. I can always find a deckchair, so I don't get too upset about it, but I hate this idea of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Who puts enough energy and thought into arresting a chair with towel handcuffs at 6am...?

I have better things to do with my life and holding a pool side chair hostage isn't one of them...

Not sure who's responsible for those crimes you're talking about, but there must be a "cover-up" going on with those towels on all those chairs! :D

Archived