My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I'manewbie

Thanks for posting....a good reminder that things can, and do sometimes go wrong.

I usually try to have EVERYTHING in order perhaps a week before the cruise, double and triple-checking it all. It can get a bit obsessive. In spite of that, I did forget some important meds for one cruise.

Relating your unfortunate experience will undoubtedly help some cruiser with their preparation.

It's pretty easy to forget something when you are packing. It could be your documentation, medications or your favorite bunny slippers. For that reason many travelers like to use a written check list and actually check things off as they get packed.

I'm such a light packer that I don't need that but it seems like a good idea for some.

Kudos to you for handling this nightmare the way you have. It's definitely NOT an easy thing to do. I'd like to think I'd handle it in the same manner; but with a few more tears added. ENJOY the remainder of your vacation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

This is the most wonderful post! The OP didn't blame anyone else, acknowledged the help from all the good people at the pier, moved forward with appropriate action and kept eyes on the prize! Bravo!

Well said. What strength and endurance the OP showed, especially to her children. What a great lesson on how to handle a situation wherein life gives you lemonaide. I can only hope that I would have the dignity and stength the OP showed while enduring such a huge dissapointment. Here's to meeting up with your family and enduring blue skies and calm seas. Hope your vacation turns out wonderful.

This is the most wonderful post! The OP didn't blame anyone else, acknowledged the help from all the good people at the pier, moved forward with appropriate action and kept eyes on the prize! Bravo!

Yes, this!

I had a similar situation with nobody to blame but myself. It was a RCI trip and I left ALL our passports at home. There was no way I would be able to drive from LA to San Diego and back before departure, but (somehow) RCI accepted photocopies that my neighbor faxed to them. They had a notary at the terminal who notarized the copies, and somehow they accepted the notarized version of the faxes. In hindsight we were very lucky, but to the OP - I completely understand this happening in the frenzy of packing and preparing. The best thing is to put it behind you, remedy the problem, and get on with the trip. I hope you have a great time!

Thanks all for your warm wishes - writing the post was cathartic! I will update to let you know how it all worked out. If anyone knows how much a taxi is going to cost to go from the Belize airport to the tender port in Belize City - I would appreciate it! BTW, is there a specific name for the tender port?

For the person who wanted to know how much the ticket cost - $529- one way from Tampa to Belize City. Kind of blows the vacation budget but in the long run it is worth it - it gives my kids and husband permission to enjoy their vacation. At first, I wanted to just stay in Tampa for the week (we drove from Maryland) it wasn't until the kids heard that I would be flying in to meet up that they started smiling. So, the $529 is well worth the price. It's just really ironic that I used up all my Marriott points that my husband accrued from work travel to pay for the 3 nights of hotels that i thought we would need. I paid for the parking at Capital Parking with a coupon that got me $5 off. We really try to travel frugally, so for us to decide in a flash to spend over $500 is testament to how important we value our family time.

I've been in the motherhood business for almost 22 years now and I often would say that I'd like to go to a hotel by myself for some "me" time. Now I know that "me" time is grossly overrated.

Hopefully happy updates will follow.

Thanks all for your warm wishes - writing the post was cathartic! I will update to let you know how it all worked out. If anyone knows how much a taxi is going to cost to go from the Belize airport to the tender port in Belize City - I would appreciate it! BTW' date=' is there a specific name for the tender port?

For the person who wanted to know how much the ticket cost - $529- one way from Tampa to Belize City. Kind of blows the vacation budget but in the long run it is worth it - it gives my kids and husband permission to enjoy their vacation. At first, I wanted to just stay in Tampa for the week (we drove from Maryland) it wasn't until the kids heard that I would be flying in to meet up that they started smiling. So, the $529 is well worth the price. It's just really ironic that I used up all my Marriott points that my husband accrued from work travel to pay for the 3 nights of hotels that i thought we would need. I paid for the parking at Capital Parking with a coupon that got me $5 off. We really try to travel frugally, so for us to decide in a flash to spend over $500 is testament to how important we value our family time.

I've been in the motherhood business for almost 22 years now and I often would say that I'd like to go to a hotel by myself for some "me" time. Now I know that "me" time is grossly overrated.

Hopefully happy updates will follow.[/quote']

I would love to cruise with you and your family any time! Best of luck! I can't answer your Belize questions, but maybe you can go check on the Ports of Call boards!

Ah, bless your heart. I'll bet you have kicked yourself 1000 times by now. Hope you are not too sad and lonely at the hotel by yourself. It's a beautiful day to spend by the pool, maybe you can meet some people out there. And you can always come back here to chat. May the rest of your vacation be fabulous!

My worst nightmare! Thank you for sharing this horrible experience because you have reminded us all to double check everything before leaving the house. Thank goodness you won't miss the whole trip! Hope you still have the time of your life!!!

Amen to that ;)

wow! i cant even imagine, i literally wanted to cry for you. you seem to be handling it very well though! very smart of you to have your neighbor fedex the passport!

lots of hugs!

hope once you are on board your cruise is absolutely fabulous! thanks for sharing!

Oh sweetheart, my heart is breaking for you. I'm so sorry you missed the first part of your cruise but I am happy to hear that your kind-hearted neighbor was able to help you out.

I am also glad to hear that at least your passport was found safe at home. I hope you are able to connect with your family on Tuesday and have a great cruise.

Thanks all for your warm wishes - writing the post was cathartic! I will update to let you know how it all worked out. If anyone knows how much a taxi is going to cost to go from the Belize airport to the tender port in Belize City - I would appreciate it! BTW' date=' is there a specific name for the tender port?

Hopefully happy updates will follow.[/quote']

Belize City (a bit "seedy" but the people are usually very nice). The tender dock has a decent clean shopping area. Really colourful stamps and postcards.

Taxi rate from airport - $25 U.S. (BZ $50).... discuss the rate BEFORE you get in the taxi. ONLY take a LEGAL taxi (green plates I believe.)

A decent map of Belize City - note the cruiseship tender dock is at the bottom right near the lighthouse.

#12 (tourist village) :

http://www.slickrock.com/Maps/belizecitymap.jpg

So sorry this happened to you! And how smart to leave the keys with your neighbor who is able to help!

I hope you will enjoy the rest of the cruise. Think that everybody is healthy, and it's only 2 days - you have the rest of your life to enjoy being with your family.

Mental note to myself: never ever scan a copy of any document before a trip. Make copies, and scan paper copies. Count how many passports are in your purse.

How awful that happened to you but like the others, I applaud you for keeping your spirits up and especially for hoping that your family has fun till you get together in Belize. I just cruised a couple of weeks ago and was sick that I would forget something like that.

Oh I am so sorry - but you're handling this amazingly well. Think of the lessons your boys are learning (not just about planning ahead, but also about personal responsibility and grace under pressure). I think you're amazing!

I have great respect for you and your post. It is so refreshing to find someone who can stay positive when the going gets tough!!! Have a great trip and safe flight. I know its hard to believe now, but one day you and your family will look back and laugh about this. Thanks for not blaming the rest of the world for your oversight, its quite refreshing.

Archived