Looking for some opinions!

CruisingMouse

My Dh really wants to go on an Alaskan cruise, it has never really been on top of my list to do...but thanks to CC now I'm hooked and I want to go NOW..lol I can never find patience when it comes to cruising.

Here's my dilemma. We usually always include my twin daughters (soon to be 10). There have only been 2 short ones that we did without them, and they were heart broke each time.

I have always been a believer that touring around showing them the world is a great experience as well as educational for them. I took them to France last year (non cruise) without the DH and I am sailing on my Med cruise in May without any of them. But they are coming on a B2B with us in January.

But when it comes to Alaska I am so torn. First the added expense to take them. But knowing that their BIG thing is to hit the beach and hang at the pool on deck all day, I'm not sure they will enjoy Alaska.

Yes educational wise (if I can keep their attention long enough) they might gain some knowledge. 1 DD is all about wildlife and nature the other has to interest give her sun and sand.

So have any of you taken children of this age? Were they bored? I am thinking about going in September for our anniversary. I need to put my mommy heart stings away and think logically but at the same time I feel like I am having them miss out on ALASKA (even though I know in my head they have the rest of their life to go).

So any input and experience would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

IMO, your daughters are at a great age to hugely benefit from seeing Alaska - and since you're from Ontario, the Yukon even more so! Seeing how vast and largely unspoiled the country is can teach them a lot beyond the obvious, and what the one thinks she wants is immaterial - she might surprise herself.

we are going to alaska next year and we are taking our teenage daughter. We left her home once on a 10 days cruise and felt guilty. Since then she cruises with us whenever we go. I was really debating on the alaska cruise as it is our 20th anniversary gift but in the end decided to bring her...in matter of fact we are trying to make this into a group cruise as we invited friends and family.

I am not sure how many will actually go with us but hey the more the merrier.

My sister took her two kids to Alaska last year. They were 8 and 11. They went on HAL (because it was cheaper) - that was a TERRIBLE DECISION. There were a few kids, but HAL definitely didn't cater to kids, even though they supposedly had a kids club. They were very bored on sea days. Perhaps a different ship (we took our nephews on Carnival to Canada) might be better for kids.

I would also try to find a cruise with as many days in port as possible. I get bored with days at sea, and I don't think HAL has too much for kids to do during sea days. With any ship, find out if there is a protected indoor place to swim - it's might cold on deck to go into an unprotected pool.

With that said, most of the ports have fun things for kids to do - whale watch and Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau, hiking of all levels, duck boat tour in Ketchikan, whitewater or float raft trips, gold panning, dog sleds, train rides.

There are also lots of fun things to do if you stay a few days before or after the cruise on land - biking, Zoo, and Native Heritage Center in Anchorage, watch glaciers calve in Seward, go to Denali and see the animals, Crow Creek Mine and hand tram hike by Girdwood, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on the way to Whittier.

I think you should try to involve the kids in the planning - it made our vacations with my nephews more interesting for them. They won't be disappointed about not spending the whole vacation on the beach because they'll know more what to expect. This will get them excited and give them a stake in the vacation. There are some videos in the library about Alaska travel with kids.

I have taken my kids to Alaska several times, until they cut me off. :( This year, I'm taking my 2 nephews.

Certainly it is excellent for kids. But "wildlife" requires work, and money. It isn't a zoo and rarely seen up close. Tours are you best bets, and most costly. I have already booked two boat tours, over $700 (using 2 for 1 coupons), whale watch $$600, 2 flights- 1 a bear tour about $3000. Totals for 4. These are essential for my touring.

Simple is to ask them and see what answer you get??

Thanks everyone, guess it's back to the drawing board to see what the best way to do this is.

BudgetQueen not so simply to just ask them as I know the answer would be a sounding YES, it's more do they realize it would be no swimming etc etc not their typical cruise one DD would totally get that the other would say yes I wanna go and then first day into it will be "are we just going to look at ice all week" LMAO

Thanks everyone, guess it's back to the drawing board to see what the best way to do this is.

BudgetQueen not so simply to just ask them as I know the answer would be a sounding YES, it's more do they realize it would be no swimming etc etc not their typical cruise one DD would totally get that the other would say yes I wanna go and then first day into it will be "are we just going to look at ice all week" LMAO

There are plenty of Alaska cruise videos that would give an accurate idea of what it's like. Choose a ship with an indoor pool, if that is necessary.

My sister took her two kids to Alaska last year. They were 8 and 11. They went on HAL (because it was cheaper) - that was a TERRIBLE DECISION. There were a few kids, but HAL definitely didn't cater to kids, even though they supposedly had a kids club. They were very bored on sea days. Perhaps a different ship (we took our nephews on Carnival to Canada) might be better for kids.

I would also try to find a cruise with as many days in port as possible. I get bored with days at sea, and I don't think HAL has too much for kids to do during sea days. With any ship, find out if there is a protected indoor place to swim - it's might cold on deck to go into an unprotected pool.

I respectfully disagree with your sister's opinion! We brought our kids, the exact same age as hers, on an alaskan inside passage cruise the last week of August 2011 and they are begging to go back....and only on HAL. It was cheaper than Disney - that is for sure, but also a better fit for our family as a Disney cruise is not for us. Club HAl kept their interest and kept them entertained and they never wanted to leave. They swam in the covered lido pool each lunch; we all had a perfect vacation!

You have to know your kids (and yourselves). If you have to be entertained every minute with offers of things to do then chances are HAL is not for you or your kids. We love sea days as our lives at home are so busy, but again that is our family and yours may be different. But the kids were definately NOT bored in Club Hal and since most US kids had gone back to school when we cruised there were only 41 kids under 13 on board and they all had a blast. They loved the individual attention from the Club Hal staff and we, as parents, knew they were looking out for them and one night when the ship was rocking more than usual and all other kids had left TWO club hal staff found DH and I to bring them to us. Since you want to go in September then you should know that Club Hal will not be packed; go in July and the story will be different.

We only booked one excursion and that was a private one (Beyond Skagway) to the Yukon so the kids could make Inukshuk in the White Pass, go geocashing in the Carcross Dessert, see Emerald Lake, amoung other things. They still talk about it. We did the other ports on our own and made our way to things we wanted to see/do.

The kids still talk about it and tell their friends. We wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. In fact we are thinking about China and Japan next April!

I respectfully disagree with your sister's opinion! We brought our kids, the exact same age as hers, on an Alaskan inside passage cruise the last week of August 2011 and they are begging to go back....and only on HAL. It was cheaper than Disney - that is for sure, but also a better fit for our family as a Disney cruise is not for us. Club HAl kept their interest and kept them entertained and they never wanted to leave. They swam in the covered lido pool each lunch; we all had a perfect vacation!

You have to know your kids (and yourselves). If you have to be entertained every minute with offers of things to do then chances are HAL is not for you or your kids. We love sea days as our lives at home are so busy, but again that is our family and yours may be different. But the kids were definitely NOT bored in Club Hal and since most US kids had gone back to school when we cruised there were only 41 kids under 13 on board and they all had a blast. They loved the individual attention from the Club Hal staff and we, as parents, knew they were looking out for them and one night when the ship was rocking more than usual and all other kids had left TWO club hal staff found DH and I to bring them to us. Since you want to go in September then you should know that Club Hal will not be packed; go in July and the story will be different.

We only booked one excursion and that was a private one (Beyond Skagway) to the Yukon so the kids could make Inukshuk in the White Pass, go geocashing in the Carcross Dessert, see Emerald Lake, amoung other things. They still talk about it. We did the other ports on our own and made our way to things we wanted to see/do.

The kids still talk about it and tell their friends. We wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again. In fact we are thinking about China and Japan next April!

Thanks 1of 4 and everyone else. I did have a chat with them yesterday and the 1 I thought would jump off the roof in excitement did just that after she yelled YES the next question was what day is it?? LOL The other looked at me and said YA and I said you realize this is Alaska and not the Caribbean no sand and possibly no swimming..ya ok she then said you will bring warm clothes right?? So I had her watch a video and she still on the yes side, but I'm not convinced. Anyhow I have now been looking around for the 4 of us and yes HAL is the cheapest.

I can't go earlier than September for previous commitment reasons, plus if I end up doing the HAL it will be exactly 11 years to the day that we set sail on them for our Honeymoon..so adding a little sentiment in the mix.

As for the kids clubs that's hit and miss again the one enjoys going the other has to be forced to go and states right up front before we sail "I'm not going to kids camp" lol ...you guessed right THEY HAVE NO SIMILARITIES TO EACH OTHER..

Thanks for all the input and for the excursion ideas, I'm still at it.:p

PS What ship did you sail on 1of4?

I can't go earlier than September for previous commitment reasons, plus if I end up doing the HAL it will be exactly 11 years to the day that we set sail on them for our Honeymoon..so adding a little sentiment in the mix.

Think you need to do a little research on the weather and day length in Alaska at the time you can go. Also on what wildlife viewing can be done at that time.

Think you need to do a little research on the weather and day length in Alaska at the time you can go. Also on what wildlife viewing can be done at that time.

Thanks I have:

September is also a prime time to visit Alaska. Fall comes early to Alaska and many of the deciduous trees are blazing yellow and red by Labor Day. Combine the bright yellow colors of the aspen and willow trees with the blazing red tundra plants and you have the best fall colors experience Alaska has to offer. You will see why Polychrome Pass in Denali National Park earns it name! As a backdrop, the tallest mountains will have fresh snow on their peaks while the lower elevations are still dry. Wildlife search opportunities also improve in late season, as the larger mammals begin feeding in the lower elevations in an attempt to pack on as much winter weight as possible. Weather is characterized by large temperature swings between warm days and chilly nights. In fact, it gets dark enough in the Interior of Alaska to see the Northern Lights!

Took my Grandsons on a 7 day Alaska Cruise on Celebrity when they were 11 & 13 and they loved it. We went in Sept so there were hardly any other kids aboard but they still had a blast with the Kids Club program... In fact they were always eager to get back aboard and back to their activities...

We had some good sunny weather and some cool rainy weather...but did not let that stop us. Fisrt day was shorts weather then as we headed north it cooled down.

They were ready to go again before we disembarked...

We were on the Infinity which is one of Celebrity's "M" class ships (one of my favorite ships) and it has a heated indoor pool whihc is designated adult only but kids were allowed in with us. They also went in the outdoor pools as well especially the first day.

Thanks I have:

September is also a prime time to visit Alaska. Fall comes early to Alaska and many of the deciduous trees are blazing yellow and red by Labor Day. Combine the bright yellow colors of the aspen and willow trees with the blazing red tundra plants and you have the best fall colors experience Alaska has to offer. You will see why Polychrome Pass in Denali National Park earns it name! As a backdrop, the tallest mountains will have fresh snow on their peaks while the lower elevations are still dry. Wildlife search opportunities also improve in late season, as the larger mammals begin feeding in the lower elevations in an attempt to pack on as much winter weight as possible. Weather is characterized by large temperature swings between warm days and chilly nights. In fact, it gets dark enough in the Interior of Alaska to see the Northern Lights!

Begining of Sept, Interior Alaska- Denali Park "Could be considered" prime time, but the inside passage???? No. Past the first week has the worse weather potential of the entire season. Dusk by 7pm which impacts scenic sailing, time in ports, a few tours aren't available. You don't see a lot of red trees in Alaska, but on the tundras you do see a lot of berry color- hence the plus for Denali.

Are you planning on a couple weeks and interior Alaska travel? Superior would be a begining Sept, northbound cruise. The shuttle buses into Denali stop running mid month.

PS What ship did you sail on 1of4?

We went as small as we could and chose the Volendam. The kids 18 and over were bored as there was no programming for them. My kids just loved it. Natalie (the 10 year old at time of sailing) was pulling out some of her crafts, the itinerary for the club hal, and here book on Glacier Bay just last weekend.

They swam every day in the covered lido pool and she went with me to the cooking and some of the on-board crafts offered in the daily newsletter. But after dinner they both wanted only Club Hal and they had a blast.

Hope you enjoy.

We went as small as we could and chose the Volendam. The kids 18 and over were bored as there was no programming for them. My kids just loved it. Natalie (the 10 year old at time of sailing) was pulling out some of her crafts, the itinerary for the club hal, and here book on Glacier Bay just last weekend.

They swam every day in the covered lido pool and she went with me to the cooking and some of the on-board crafts offered in the daily newsletter. But after dinner they both wanted only Club Hal and they had a blast.

Hope you enjoy.

Thanks Gail!

It is always great to get your kids out of their comfort level a bit to let them learn what the rest of the world is like....I traveled with all of mine...starting very young, and let them help plan what we would see...They are now grown and have kids of their own....and do the same with them...There are not many sea days on an inside passage unless you say looking at glaciers is a sea day...will they want to look at them for 8 hrs...probably not but neither do I...:) Take them.....it will give them something to talk about when they get older...

Archived