Carlisle Bay worth it?

jasminelee

Lobster Alive is right next to the Boatyard, and both are about 400-500 yards north of Harbor Lights.

There will be plenty of folks all along Carlisle Bay willing to take you out to the turtles, or you can just swim out on your own.

Cheers, P:)

• 1 month later...
would like to spend the day at Carlisle but prefer a quiet area...with chairs, umbrellas, facilities. Is there such a place on Carlisle or do we need to find another beach? TIA

Im looking for the same for my parents. They are 78 and 83 and would like a quieter atmosphere, but with shade, chairs and umbrellas and facilities as you say. Someone mentioned a day pass at the Hilton. Anyone know how much? Thanks.

Hilton Day Pass is $55 USD for adults. Check out these sites for more info:

http://barbadosdaypass.com/#/hilton-barbados/4542735711

http://barbadosforaday.com/Hilton_Barbados_day_pass.html

I've seen days where Carlisle is really busy and other days where is relatively quiet. Keep in mind that this stretch of heaven is about a mile long. I'd say you're chances are pretty good that you'll find somewhere along there that's a bit removed from the crowds. I guess it all depends on how many ships are in port that day.

Carlisle Bay is so close to port, that if you decide after a couple of hours that you don't like it, you can always pack up and head to another beach.

North of Bridgetown there's Brandons, Paynes Bay, Mullins... South of Carlisle is Rockley, Dover, Maxwell, Miami...

Check out this website - good info on some other beach choices:

http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/

For Carlisle Bay, use the Brownes Beach link.

All beaches in Barbados are public.

Places like The Boatyard or Copacabanas only charge you for renting loungers, umbrellas, etc.

There is plenty of wide open, public access to Carlisle Bay from Hwy 7...

Isn't Browne's Beach a part of Carlisle Bay? Our ship has 2 excursions - one says Carlisle Bay and the other says Copacabana Beach Day. They're both the same price and include a chair and umbrella. Seems like they are going to different parts of the same place to me.:confused:

The entire stretch of beach is called CARLISLE BAY. Locals refer to it as Browne's Beach. However,it's the restaurants along this stretch of beach that make a difference in the mood,tone and atmosphere here. There are separate owners competing to be the best in business along this stretch.

After leaving the ship,the first restaurant is Boat Yard followed by Lobster Alive then Copacabana and finally Harbour Lights going in a southerly direction. Different agents promote for their individual choice of restaurants and book accordingly for visitors. You will see your friend if you walk the beach!

Hope this was helpful.

The entire stretch of beach is called CARLISLE BAY. Locals refer to it as Browne's Beach. However,it's the restaurants along this stretch of beach that make a difference in the mood,tone and atmosphere here. There are separate owners competing to be the best in business along this stretch.

After leaving the ship,the first restaurant is Boat Yard followed by Lobster Alive then Copacabana and finally Harbour Lights going in a southerly direction. Different agents promote for their individual choice of restaurants and book accordingly for visitors. You will see your friend if you walk the beach!

Hope this was helpful.

We are also considering going to Oistins to check out the Fish Festival. How far from the Cruise Port is Oistins?

Accra/Rockley is about the halfway point between Bridgetown and Oistins. Figure on about half hour or so by cab or bus.

Keep in mind that the Oistins Fish Fry is a Friday night event, after the sun goes down...

Accra/Rockley is about the halfway point between Bridgetown and Oistins. Figure on about half hour or so by cab or bus.

Keep in mind that the Oistins Fish Fry is a Friday night event, after the sun goes down...

Good to know. Other than the evening fish fry is there any events going on during the day? Looking for Kodak moments of the local culture.

Hope this was helpful.

Devonstar, which would you say would be the most quiet, relaxing, less crowded out of the four? I have only been to Boatyard. It was fun but very crowded. Thanks for the explanation of the bars/restaurants. That was very helpful.

Devonstar, which would you say would be the most quiet, relaxing, less crowded out of the four? I have only been to Boatyard. It was fun but very crowded. Thanks for the explanation of the bars/restaurants. That was very helpful.

It all depends on how many ships are in port on the given day. All may be crowded but Harbour Lights will definitely be the last. On an ordinary day definitely Harbour Lights for peace. The music is very tolerable and the atmosphere is very family oriented. I strongly advise those that want to enjoy such ambiance to indulge Harbour Lights every time.

We are also considering going to Oistins to check out the Fish Festival. How far from the Cruise Port is Oistins?

If you are cruising on a ship that leaves around 2300 hrs or over-nights then I advise visitors to go there around 1830 hrs for about 2 hours of music, food and dance. Lots of long-stay visitors go there on FRIDAY nights mainly to experience the 'Bajan' culture.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Lobster_lookout2.jpg

The view from Lobster Alive.

I am homesick for that beach and I havent even been there yet!!! Roll on February 2014!!!!

Lobster-407.jpg

Looking towards Lobster Alive(dk.green umbrellas) - and Boatyard

Lobster-409.jpg

Looking the other way, towards Hilton.

We did the ship excursion to copacabana and found it to be less crowded and quieter than the other surrounding beaches. The bathrooms and shower and changing areas were very nice and clean and the bar was fine. Only had someone cooking on a grill for food. This was two years ago and may have changed. We enjoyed the quiet. Could live without all the locals walking the beach trying to sell you stuff but they need to make living also. We may go back there this fall. I like that it is close to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't Browne's Beach a part of Carlisle Bay? ===> Yes.

Our ship has 2 excursions - one says Carlisle Bay

and the other says Copacabana Beach Day. ===> Purty much the same thing! lol

They're both the same price and include a chair and umbrella.

Seems like they are going to different parts of the same place to me.:confused:

Yes indeed, Browne's Beach is part of the larger Carlisle Bay strip

that 'supplies' a free beach for Lobster Alive, Boatyard, Harbour Lights, Copacabana,

Browne's Beach, the local Yacht Club, the Radisson Hotel right next to the Yacht Club, etc.

Here's a "capture" I made from the free Google Earth satellite-image viewing application.......

Carlisle_Bay.jpg

....showing the whole area, including the Bridgetown Port at upper left

and the entire curve of Carlisle Bay -that bright white margin-

right around to Hilton,out on Needham's Point at lower right.

• 1 month later...

Archived