Is Dress on Alaska Cruises Still More Casual?

WalleyeLJ

Hey All,

When we went to Alaska in May 2009, we left almost all the dress clothes at home because the word on here was that things were much more casual in the main dining room on Alaska cruises than most other destinations. On the cruise we found that totally true. In the main dining room while some people still dressed up for dinner, many people wore very casual clothes. I'm curious if that's still the case because were going a week early, so the less extra clothes we have to bring, the better. Thanks!

L.J.

My experience in Princess was no difference at all between any destination.

Yeah we saw some no tie and/or jeans crowd the majority were tie/sport jacket or better for the guys and similar for the ladies

Hey All,

When we went to Alaska in May 2009, we left almost all the dress clothes at home because the word on here was that things were much more casual in the main dining room on Alaska cruises than most other destinations. On the cruise we found that totally true. In the main dining room while some people still dressed up for dinner, many people wore very casual clothes. I'm curious if that's still the case because were going a week early, so the less extra clothes we have to bring, the better. Thanks!

L.J.

When we went in 2010 we took no formal clothes-2 weeks land & cruise w/no laundry limited us! We never felt out of place on land or ship, BUT after the first night we never returned to the MDR, so that might be a factor for your party that wasn't for us

I have had no experience with RCL which the OP appears to be sailing with however with Princess and Celebrity that I have experience there is no difference in dress code for Alaska and the vast majority of people abide by the code. You will see more jeans and sweaters during the day in Alaska just as you see more t-shirts and shorts during the day in the Caribbean....but the dress code in the evenings is the same.

It's WAY more casual on every cruise, compared to 10 years ago.

Yes, still the case in Alaska.

But I strongly resist dressing up when anywhere near and in Alaska.

Some cruise lines, however, are different. Crystal is very posh and dressed up.

I don't do any of the social acitivities, entertainments on Alaska cruises and avoid long sit down meals. Your activities and results may vary. I am not in Alaska to wear a gown.

I don't do any of the social acitivities, entertainments on Alaska cruises and avoid long sit down meals. Your activities and results may vary. I am not in Alaska to wear a gown.

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me either. I don't own one.

I think that in general cruises are becoming less formal - AK is no exception. One reason I started crusing with NCL was because I did not have to dress up to go to dinner in the MDR however on our AK cruises 9 and 10 yrs ago we had about half of the people dressed to the nines on Formal (or not) night. In HI we had even less people for formal night.

Thank you all for the responses. I can't believe I got both Budget Queen AND Putterdude in the list of replys:D. I personally have no strong opinion one way or the other on what's right and wrong in terms of dress code (which I know will not sit well with some). Although I will stop at shirt and tie if possible personally, I really enjoy seeing other people fully decked out and enjoying the experience as well.

That said my wife and I really enjoy the main dining room experience, but my father will ABSOLUTELY not bring anything resembling a tie (or more) on this trip, and we don't want to have my parents in the Windjammer every evening while we eat alone in the MD:).

Thanks again for all the replies, and wherever you may cruise, however you may cruise, enjoy!

L.J.

Thank you all for the responses. I can't believe I got both Budget Queen AND Putterdude in the list of replys:D. I personally have no strong opinion one way or the other on what's right and wrong in terms of dress code (which I know will not sit well with some). Although I will stop at shirt and tie if possible personally, I really enjoy seeing other people fully decked out and enjoying the experience as well.

That said my wife and I really enjoy the main dining room experience, but my father will ABSOLUTELY not bring anything resembling a tie (or more) on this trip, and we don't want to have my parents in the Windjammer every evening while we eat alone in the MD:).

Thanks again for all the replies, and wherever you may cruise, however you may cruise, enjoy!

L.J.

Well, you got a whole list of really good folks to post including bearbait! His advice is not to be missed but you have to consider that he is a really out of doors person.

I'm sure that bearbait would look better in a gown that I do!

You can tell when actual Alaskans do an Alaskan cruise as most dress up about as much as I do.

10 cruises and counting...always, always wear the formal attire on formal nights and that includes hubby in his tux, BUT on our upcoming Alaska cruise, we have decided for many reasons to leave the heels, sequin gown and the tux at home. I'm planning on a fancy top and slacks and hubby in a sports coat. My last Alaska cruise in 1999 on HAL, I saw warm-up suits in the MDR on formal night!

Sure hope other Alaska cruisers will join us in "casual formal" attire! :D

Many factors including the cost of checking luggage for flights have caused more casual attire in our lives including on cruises. Some folks will stick to the suggested dress code down to the last do-dad but others ignor the dress codes all together.

Freedom of choice.

My husband and I gave up formal attire on cruises when for medical reasons neither of us were allowed to lift a suitcase that weighed over 35 pounds into the car to go to the airport.

We dress nicely but not formally.

We really don't have a choice.

We now avoid booking with cruiselines where the dress code is not only strongly suggested but is enforced by some of the passengers. For example: Crystal Cruises.

There are plenty of other cruise lines for an us to spend our money and our time for travel.

:)I agree with you "Penny Again", when you say that the airlines have

put such restrictions on luggage weight. And as a senior citizen, so have

I. We just got back from a back-to-back cruise on Princess around South America. I saw several, but not many men in their tuxes on formal nights. Our attire leans more to the fancy blouse and dress slacks, and my friend wore a sport coat/w tie, but only on formal nights. The atmosphere, for the most part, seems to be more relaxed. There were a lot of UK people on that particular cruise, and they tend to dress up a little more than those of us from the US. But even they just wore either sundresses, or

blouse and slacks to the MDR. We didn't see any capris, but lots of sandals. My sister and I are doing Alaska on Carnival in May, and believe

me, we are traveling light! We may only do one of the two formal nights

in the MDR.

I agree, cruising is getting more casual, but I still love getting dressed up - just because our bedroom is floating along with the dining room does not equal (at least to me) that we are eating at home. I like to look nice when I go out to dinner, and I may be easily impressed but I consider the MDR on cruise ships to be a pretty nice restaurant. So I will be in slacks and blouses for most of the dinners I think.

At the same time, I refuse to judge people who are a bit more casual. We are all there to have a great vacation, and if someone at my table is more comfortable in jeans while I am more comfortable in slacks, what is to prevent us from still having a nice dinner?

Hey All,

L.J.

Hi LJ.

Please let us know all about your experience.

We will be on the Radiance July 27 Southbound.

We expect to not do anything near dressy.

More neat and clean but no sweats.

Looking forward to what you find out.

Archived