Next serise of HAL cruise ships

philbob84

What would you all like to see I have this question going on over on the DCL and CCL boards. I enjoy this line of questions so I thought I would bring it up what would you HALer's like on the next generation of HAL ships? I asked this over at Disney and will be asking it on a few more threads (that don't already have this going on.) For Holland I think we might see more smaller ships around the end of this decade or begining of the next followed by a replacement for the vista (possibly in the 100000 ton range.)

We like the size of the Vista and Signature class ships. They are just right for us. Not those huge ships like RCI has -- I just wouldn't we able to get around on them.

The Signature class ships are very nice since they also have the Silk Den and Tamarind Restaurant.

I agree I think the Vista/Signature class and there derivatives (Costa, PO, QE and QV) and Fincanteri's Disney twins are the best sized ship(for me at least) on something I would like to travel on, but that being said reading various industry sites and commentators it looks to me that the next gen designs are going to be larger regardless.

2015 or 16 for a new big ship seems very soon... I could see them going for the new P&O/Princess 141,000 ton design just to get economy of scale (although I think Cunard would be more likely to go for one of theses,) but if I was in the big seat its not something I would do. keeping the mix of small type and medium type sized ships for the fleet as to me it better fits HAL's image but if market pressures demand a larger ship I would choose the "new medium" of 100,000 tons something like evolved and modified Carnival Destiny size ship with HAL's classical features for the superstructure.

For the new ships what ever size they are i would include Tamrind and PG and add a high quality wood fired(if possible maritime regs may forbid it) neoplotian style type pizzeria, 2 pools one larger pool and one smaller one- posibly a wading pool (no water slides though.) I would also look to see how NCL Breakaway's "Board Walk/Waterfront" concept pans out and maybe incourpate some of the good things about while getting rid of things that might be tacky or garish**, I like the idea of opening the ship up to nature. i would also keep the features that won the Vista class the "green ship" awards such as the diesel electrics and azi-pods but I would also look to see if solar arrays could be installed and maybe some sort of sailing rig maybe with telescoping composte masts??--- that being said I wouldn't spend too much money or time on this as it is business.

*I have never sailed on a cruise ship but HAL's Westerdam was the first ship I ever got to go on for a seafarers donation lunch through my church, so I hold a special place in my heart for HAL and the Vista class. I have sailed however on a US Navy warship.

** I initially really liked NCL and plan on sailing on them one day, I think they are a great and innovative cruise line with beautiful ships so there is no need to start a flame war because I called the line garish.

I think HAL's next class of ships will be bigger than the Signature Class. I don't think they will be any longer but maybe higher. Perhaps a Dolphin Deck below the Main Deck. Perhaps adding a Veranda deck ( a lower Verada to go with the Veranda and Uppper Veranda) and maybe an Amsterdam deck between the Upper Veranda and the Rotterdam deck. I would also envision a main dining room of three decs instead of two to feed the extra passengers. Just some thoughts. Are you reading this HAL?

No more than 650 pax, please. All inclusive, i.e. gratuities, shore excursions, drinks. And we'd be more than willing to pay for this. Also, totally non-smoking and all suites.

Agreed and I would also like to see slightly wider hallways in the cabin areas. More accessible rooms or simply wider doors on all the cabins. Wide enough for wheelchairs and scooters to get in.

I would also like to see a show room that had fewer pillars and posts that restrict viewing. Not sure how that is done engineering wise, but that goes on my wish list too.

I think HAL's next class of ships will be bigger than the Signature Class. I don't think they will be any longer but maybe higher. Perhaps a Dolphin Deck below the Main Deck. Perhaps adding a Veranda deck ( a lower Verada to go with the Veranda and Uppper Veranda) and maybe an Amsterdam deck between the Upper Veranda and the Rotterdam deck. I would also envision a main dining room of three decs instead of two to feed the extra passengers. Just some thoughts. Are you reading this HAL?

I agree new HAL ships will be larger than Signature Class. I'm guessing they'll be in the 105,000 ton ranage.

I'm not saying that is what I wish for them to do but what I think they will do.

No more than 650 pax, please. All inclusive, i.e. gratuities, shore excursions, drinks. And we'd be more than willing to pay for this. Also, totally non-smoking and all suites.

650 Pax, I am on board with that, Mrs Banjo & I just love the size and feel of the small ships. On our last HAL Prinsendam cruise the captain told us that the Prinsendam has the highest loyalty in terms of repeat passengers and also is the highest $$ spent per passenger in the fleet. If that is true, seems to me that is a winning combination and HAL should add more like this in the future.

Including drinks & gratuities? I am good with that and personally I think all cruise lines should just build in at least the gratuity and soft drinks into the base price of the cruise. I always dislike seeing gratuities, water and soft drinks added to my bill added on at the end. This is just a nickle & dime policy that drives people, (like me), crazy.

You do loose me on the All Inclusive excursion thing. We have cruised on Regent, (and other "all inclusive" lines), many times and we enjoy the ships very much. However, we have not cruised on their ships since they have started with the "free excursions". In some cases the "Free" excursions are oversold and disappointingly unavailable. Recently they have now resorted to "Premium" excursions that are at additional cost. (so much for free unlimited excursons). The Regent business model seems very expensive and IMHO not a recipe for success for HAL.

O.k. Scratch the excursions. And a 25% for single suites. And complimentary internet to those with over a certain number of stars.

There are already tons of people who have gotten to the 200 day level which is 4 stars. And they are already reaping a ton of benefits.

Make it 700 actual days for free internet!!

I was told bya knowledgeable HAL employee that it is highly unlikely you will see build a new ship smaller than the Vista class ones. They have figured out that their larger ships make alot more money (profits) than the smaller ones, due to spreading the overhead amoung more passengers.

His comments made alot of sense to me, an ex-supermarket guy.

DaveOKC

I would agree that it makes since from a economic perspective for the larger or same sized ships. But if they can stay sustainable economically it makes more since to go with a mix of small and medium ships and preserve their institutional heratiage, if you want to be on a massive ship there are plenty of other lines for that.

I agree new HAL ships will be larger than Signature Class. I'm guessing they'll be in the 105,000 ton ranage.

I'm not saying that is what I wish for them to do but what I think they will do.

I totally agree they are going to be bigger than Signature Class but I think they will be closer to the 120,000 size very similiar to the Solstice Class of Celebrity which has done quite well for Celebrity and seems to be at the right point to turn a profit yet offer a premium experience. I admit I like that size and did not find it to feel that much bigger than Vista Class. I look at those and think what HAL could do with the space :D

I totally agree they are going to be bigger than Signature Class but I think they will be closer to the 120,000 size very similiar to the Solstice Class of Celebrity which has done quite well for Celebrity and seems to be at the right point to turn a profit yet offer a premium experience. I admit I like that size and did not find it to feel that much bigger than Vista Class. I look at those and think what HAL could do with the space :D

I agree that what you describe is probably in the ball-park of what HAL will do next. With all that extra space HAL will:

1. Pack in more passengers, reduce the square-foot-per-passenger average still further, and decrease (yet again) the size of the public lounges; the resulting impact from all of this will be a commensurate increase the congestion in the Dining Rooms, corridors, gangways, pool-decks, and lounges.

2. Add additional revenue-generating venues, including specialty restaurants, trinket shops, pricey jewelry shops, art auctioneers, private cabanas (of several types), lanai-type cabins on the Promenade, and much much more.

3. NOT increase staffing levels or provide non-revenue-generating venues; no new lounges or bars, either ... unless they're premium lounges that one can only get into if you pay for it (i.e., like a club entrance or membership fee).

I agree that what you describe is probably in the ball-park of what HAL will do next. With all that extra space HAL will:

1. Pack in more passengers, reduce the square-foot-per-passenger average still further, and decrease (yet again) the size of the public lounges; the resulting impact from all of this will be a commensurate increase the congestion in the Dining Rooms, corridors, gangways, pool-decks, and lounges.

2. Add additional revenue-generating venues, including specialty restaurants, trinket shops, pricey jewelry shops, art auctioneers, private cabanas (of several types), lanai-type cabins on the Promenade, and much much more.

3. NOT increase staffing levels or provide non-revenue-generating venues; no new lounges or bars, either ... unless they're premium lounges that one can only get into if you pay for it (i.e., like a club entrance or membership fee).

Oh My Greg you sound a bit upset :D

Seriously, it would do you good to see one of Celebrity's Solstice Class ships. All the things that you think will be bad or at least most do not exist on those ships. The Dining Rooms are much larger not at all crowded, as well as the lounges and showrooms are much larger. It never feels crowded. Embarkation and Debarkation are a breeze. While yes more passengers certainly not less square footage per passenger.

The things that you think are a problem with HAL now actually are not a problem on the larger Solstice Class Ships of Celebrity. One would think that because I do think Celebrity is better why am I not sailing them more often....well HAL is still home to me. I know and am friends with so many Officers and Crew :o If HAL could copy the Solstice Class but decorate HAL style it could be a Win-Win :)

No more than 650 pax, please. All inclusive, i.e. gratuities, shore excursions, drinks. And we'd be more than willing to pay for this. Also, totally non-smoking and all suites.[/quote]

Is there a reason why you want to eliminate outside, inside, lanai & basic verandah (non-suite) Cabins? :(:( Are we too low class for you?:(

If that's the case you probably will be excluding 75% of HAL's Psgrs, some of which belong to Cruise Critic...

Sounds quite elitist to me..But hope you enjoy all your Suite Friends..

Betty

Archived