cruise to Hawaii - weather - how cool is "cool" ?

crazy4elton

We'll be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii later this month. I've read numerous posts from people who have sailed to Hawaii from L.A., round trip, and all have commented about the "cool" weather the first two days out, and the last two days back, caused by the ocean currents. I'd like to get a sense of what to expect. I'm disappointed that 4 days of my precious vacation will not be tropical. How cool is "cool" ? Is it comfortable enough to be outside on deck, but not warm enough to swim? Or does the cold temperature drive people indoors? Should I expect temperatures in the 60's? or 50's? I know that weather is a fickle thing, and certainly not an exact science, but I'm curious. I've never read a posting saying that those 4 days are balmy and warm. Thank you to all who may be able to answer my question.

We've done this trip twice and have are third trip booked, so we do enjoy it. We always go the last cruise in April so I can only speak of that time. The first time, the weather was warm for almost the entire way there and back. We sat out on the deck and enjoyed the warm weather view and relaxation. Last year it was cooler and we spend more time in the solarium and the ocean rocked us more. On this trip we we still set out but we had hot coffee and worn sweat shirts in the morning and it was windy - still enjoyed the crossings just switched up our plan a little.

I too have heard of the cooler temps the first/last two days but did not experience it when we sailed to Hawaii in November a few years back. The seas were calm and the temperatures were in the 70s the entire trip. We used our balcony daily. I can attest to the fact that sometimes the weather is perfectly lovely on the crossing.

I'll let you know next week......we will be on the Golden. Sea buoys out of California right now are showing air temps around 54 degrees. From what I have been able to find.......expect cool days 2 days out and then warmer temps.........but afterall, it is "weather" .........we are packing for both warm and cool, just in case.:)

We'll be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii later this month. I've read numerous posts from people who have sailed to Hawaii from L.A., round trip, and all have commented about the "cool" weather the first two days out, and the last two days back, caused by the ocean currents. I'd like to get a sense of what to expect. I'm disappointed that 4 days of my precious vacation will not be tropical. How cool is "cool" ? Is it comfortable enough to be outside on deck, but not warm enough to swim? Or does the cold temperature drive people indoors? Should I expect temperatures in the 60's? or 50's? I know that weather is a fickle thing, and certainly not an exact science, but I'm curious. I've never read a posting saying that those 4 days are balmy and warm. Thank you to all who may be able to answer my question.

Me and my hubby are sailing on the Sapphire Princess on April 14th and I have been very surprised to read the different posts stating how "finicky" the weather is when sailing from California to Hawaii. I am just about all packed and will be bringing a little bit of everything to make sure if it is cool out, we have warm clothes and if it turns out to be warm, that we have lighter weight clothes. Thanks to Southwest for allowing 2 pieces of checked luggage per person for free since we are traveling from Florida. We've cruised several times in the Caribbean, however, this is our 1st cruise venturing to other areas. I, too was expecting tropical type whether for our sea days. Hopefully the weather will corportate and it will be sunny and wam for both our cruises in April.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Penny

We've done this trip twice and have are third trip booked, so we do enjoy it. We always go the last cruise in April so I can only speak of that time. The first time, the weather was warm for almost the entire way there and back. We sat out on the deck and enjoyed the warm weather view and relaxation. Last year it was cooler and we spend more time in the solarium and the ocean rocked us more. On this trip we we still set out but we had hot coffee and worn sweat shirts in the morning and it was windy - still enjoyed the crossings just switched up our plan a little.

Pretty much word for word what Deb said. :D

Pat

Sea buoys out of California right now are showing air temps around 54 degrees.

Just curious...where do you get the temperature for sea buoys? I've lived in southern California my whole life and never knew there was such a thing. Isn't it great what you can learn by reading Cruise Critic?

we have been on this cruise 3 times and going on our 4th out of SF the end of this month. Once we went in Feb---very cold and choppy for 3 days each way, and warm in Hawaii but very windy. We went in May and Mid April and had perfect weather both directions so hoping for the same this time, but you know how weather can change.

Copying from your thread on Western Destinations board:

The air temperature and the current are two different things. You could still get warm weather. We actually did on our return in January 2006 due to a post-storm heat spell on the west coast. It was about 80s in Ensenada and Los Angeles (and because of the storm a few days before, there was still snow in the San Bernandino mountains that we can see on our way home). On our last cruise, it was in the 50s in Ensenada and in Los Angeles -- that was in early January 2011. So figure out of two cruises, one had people sunning the last few days and one didn't. But people were out on the deck on January 1 watching the Rose Bowl game on the MUTS screen, but probably not too many were in bathing suits.

With this strange weather this country's been having, I wouldn't be surprised by any type of weather condition. Check the various weather websites before you leave, but also be prepared. It could be in the 60s or in the 90s when you get back to San Pedro. Of course, if you're staying pre or post cruise in SP, it'll be milder than Los Angeles temps. But for the ship, you may be able to use the outdoors pool, but at least on the Golden and Sapphire, there is a covered pool.

I did this cruise last November and it was not cool. It was freezing cold. Had my winter jacket on for both days coming and going. Had a balcony and would just run out to it to smoke and come right back in it was so cold. I was really dissapointed in the weather. It was bad for most of the whole two weeks. Hopefully the next one will be better. Because I still loved the cruise.

We just came back from sailing on the Golden to Hawaii (our second, we love this itinerary)...and it was cold all 4 sea days sailing there. Cold...meaning high 50's and low 60's, plus the wind. In Hawaii, the temps were in the mid 70's and sunny. We had rain once, in Hilo...that lasted only about 1/2 hour in the morning. Just enough to see a beautiful rainbow! The last 3 days coming back was the same...chilly and the seas were a little rougher.

(Note: Those coming from the north found it strange that other passengers from warm climates...said it was chilly. :))

Kinda a crap shoot but it shouldn't be too bad. I did however remember reading osts wherein a recent cruise had to cancel Hilo because the seas were so rough, the ship's speed was reduced.....

Bob

Just curious...where do you get the temperature for sea buoys? I've lived in southern California my whole life and never knew there was such a thing. Isn't it great what you can learn by reading Cruise Critic?

WOW! This is cool. I hope I can post the link. This is where you find out about the sea bouys, and it gives you a temp zone map. Now I get why 2 days are cooler!! We are booked for next April on the Grand.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/

Archived