Proper Coffee

jimb98

First time on Celebrity Equinox this May. My wife has the premium package and I've heard the normal coffee served is not very good. Where will she get a decent coffee at breakfast? I only drink tea so I imagine there will be English breakfast tea available.

Thanks,

Jim

The "brewed coffee" at the coffee stations is not very good in my opinion, although others like it. On our last cruise I frequently saw them filling it from some brand that I've never seen but never saw them cleaning out the machines which leads me to think it might be some sort of instant coffee which leaves no grinds.

The better coffee on board is the espresso based coffee which costs roughly $4/cup depending on which type (espresso, latte, cappuccino, etc). The main place for this is the espresso coffee bar, Cafe Al Bacio which is on deck 4 or 5. There is also a small bar in the front of the buffet area which makes espresso based coffees but I've never had one there. I believe you can also get espresso based coffees in all the table service dining areas such as Bistro on 5, which has breakfast crepes on their menu, the MDR and the specialty restaurants. These coffees should all be included in the premium and classic beverage packages.

We usually take our own coffee along. Long ago we used to bring a coffee pot but a few years back that was put on the prohibited items list. Then we started bringing a coffee press but those are a little bit of hassle to clean. Last cruise we brought along a bunch of Starbucks Via instant coffee packets. Not the best but far better than the brewed coffee on board in my opinion,

Jim,

I had the same beverage package as your wife. For early morning I would go get a capuccino from the Cafe Bacio to take back to my stateroom. For breakfast, you can ask the waiters for a capuccino in the buffet or cafe americano( expresso based coffee). They come around with fresh oj too. For dinner in MDR, I would have San Pelligrino water for dinner and have an expresso with dessert.

Enjoy your cruise.

The "brewed coffee" at the coffee stations is not very good in my opinion, although others like it. On our last cruise I frequently saw them filling it from some brand that I've never seen but never saw them cleaning out the machines which leads me to think it might be some sort of instant coffee which leaves no grinds.

The better coffee on board is the espresso based coffee which costs roughly $4/cup depending on which type (espresso, latte, cappuccino, etc). The main place for this is the espresso coffee bar, Cafe Al Bacio which is on deck 4 or 5. There is also a small bar in the front of the buffet area which makes espresso based coffees but I've never had one there. I believe you can also get espresso based coffees in all the table service dining areas such as Bistro on 5, which has breakfast crepes on their menu, the MDR and the specialty restaurants. These coffees should all be included in the premium and classic beverage packages.

We usually take our own coffee along. Long ago we used to bring a coffee pot but a few years back that was put on the prohibited items list. Then we started bringing a coffee press but those are a little bit of hassle to clean. Last cruise we brought along a bunch of Starbucks Via instant coffee packets. Not the best but far better than the brewed coffee on board in my opinion,

Ditto. I brought Via the last time and its not bad and saves the hassle of bringing a French press. I found the best place to get it was Costco price wise.

Ditto. I brought Via the last time and its not bad and saves the hassle of bringing a French press. I found the best place to get it was Costco price wise.

Amazon has it in 50 packet packages for a bit cheaper most of the time.

My DH got the classic NA package and loved all the coffee drinks he got at the Cafe Biaco, he does drink lots of cream/sugar in his coffee so this was perfect for him. Me on the other hand like my coffee black and that is not what I could find in the cafe. I did enjoy hot teas a couple times keeping my dh company.

In the past the coffee has been terrible no matter the cruise line we were on (RCI, X, Disney). This last Nov on the Silhouette we were very happy to find the coffee was GOOD, a little on the strong side (for me) so a slight dilution made for a enjoyable coffee no matter where I had it. They are using a different brand and I did see it being made it was ground not instant. I'm hoping they are still using this on our Solstice cruise, but I will pack our French Press just incase- we are going to Kona afterall, so I can easily get some awesome coffee to brew on my own.

Bev

We have taken a French press and our own Kona on most cruises. On our upcoming cruise we are taking an aero press. It makes a pretty strong espresso that I add hot water to make an Americano. It is easier to clean than a French press. You just push the coffee puck out the end.

I also only drink tea. I found english breakfast tea available in the buffet, aqua spa cafe and also the coffee shop. It was also available at meals upon request (we were in Blu). My wife said the best coffee she had all week was from the coffee shop (Cafe Al Bacio). It took me almost a week to figure out to go there in the morning to get her coffee, I am an early riser :)

My DH got the classic NA package and loved all the coffee drinks he got at the Cafe Biaco, he does drink lots of cream/sugar in his coffee so this was perfect for him. Me on the other hand like my coffee black and that is not what I could find in the cafe. I did enjoy hot teas a couple times keeping my dh company.

In the past the coffee has been terrible no matter the cruise line we were on (RCI, X, Disney). This last Nov on the Silhouette we were very happy to find the coffee was GOOD, a little on the strong side (for me) so a slight dilution made for a enjoyable coffee no matter where I had it. They are using a different brand and I did see it being made it was ground not instant. I'm hoping they are still using this on our Solstice cruise, but I will pack our French Press just incase- we are going to Kona afterall, so I can easily get some awesome coffee to brew on my own.

Bev

Oh I am going to miss my Seatles Best on RCI Voyager class ships. :( But what you are saying is, I can't just get a plain, good cup of coffee in the coffee shop? It's the fancy coffees or nothing? I don't like strong coffee (cappuccino) but like a good full body.....matter of fact I have to drink decaf now, but can still get a good cup.

A little off subject but, can you get pastries and little sandwiches for free or is there a charge?

Oh I am going to miss my Seatles Best on RCI Voyager class ships. :( But what you are saying is' date=' I can't just get a plain, good cup of coffee in the coffee shop? It's the fancy coffees or nothing? I don't like strong coffee (cappuccino) but like a good full body.....matter of fact I have to drink decaf now, but can still get a good cup.

A little off subject but, can you get pastries and little sandwiches for free or is there a charge?[/quote']

Pastries in am, finger sandwiches at lunch, or deserts later are free at Cafe al Bacio

Oh I am going to miss my Seatles Best on RCI Voyager class ships. :( But what you are saying is' date=' I can't just get a plain, good cup of coffee in the coffee shop? It's the fancy coffees or nothing? I don't like strong coffee (cappuccino) but like a good full body.....matter of fact I have to drink decaf now, but can still get a good cup.

A little off subject but, can you get pastries and little sandwiches for free or is there a charge?[/quote']

The premium coffee bar serves only espresso based coffee in Celebrity. If you drink milk in your coffee try a latte. If you drink yours black or with sugar/sweetener then try an Americano.

The pastries, small sandwiches and other snacks served at the coffee bar are no extra charge and no other purchase is necessary. You can get these snacks on a plate to enjoy at one of the tables there or just ask for some on a napkin or paper bag to carry away.

The cafe promenade is at the top of my list on the RCI voyager class ships.

We thought Cafe Promenade was OK' date=' but Bacio, IMO, is very nice. :)[/color']

On the Silhouette it was indeed brewed coffee, several times I would see the "grounds" cup being removed and refilled with grounds to brew and other times I found coffee grounds at the bottom of my cup:rolleyes:, I never drink the bottom of any cup of coffee not even my own ;) so it was never an issue for me but I am sure it could make for a crunchy finish. :eek: I didn't find the coffee that bad other than occasionally strong, then I would just add hot water to it to break it down. There was always a tea chest at the OVC stations to choose from as well as the MDR brings a tea chest with an assortment for those who request any teas. Dd had a lovely selection to pick from.:D

Archived