Current thought on Yellow Fever in Canal Zone

DebQuilts

Friend cannot get a yellow - fever vaccine due to a secondary condition, what are the current thoughts about yellow fever in the canal zone? I can find things from 2010 and earlier - where can we find the latest info, CDC site is rather inconclusive.

Looking at this site, it states pretty clearly that for the canal zone, a yellow fever vaccine is not recommended. They also say that Cartagena is safe.

As you can see by the title, it is the 2012 yellow book:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever-and-malaria-information-by-country.htm#2867

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know if there are actual requirements for getting the vaccine before travel? In other words, is Celebrity going to make me show a Yellow Fever vaccine card prior to getting on the ship, etc. I have tried calling them and they have not been helpful.

Thank you very much BillB! :)

Anyone know if Panama Canal cruises require Hep A or Typhoid vaccinations? My health dept said to check with Celebrity and Celebrity said to check with my health dept, but the general concensus seemed to be that because we are in port for less than 24hours, vaccinations are not necessary.

Any other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am late on this, but Yellow fever was wiped out in Panama over 100 years ago. I highly recommend you read about it in some of the construction era books. Google Books has bunch of free books from that era that you can download or read on line. Once an area goes for 90 days without a case of yellow fever it cannot return unless reintroduced from some other area. YF shots are not needed.

When we cruised the Panama Canal (Aruba, Cartegena, Canal, Costa Rica, Jamaica) last year on Princess, we were not required to have any sort of vaccinations. As stated, since you are in these places for only a few hours, there doesn't seem to be any need for vaccinations.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you know if there are actual requirements for getting the vaccine before travel? In other words, is Celebrity going to make me show a Yellow Fever vaccine card prior to getting on the ship, etc. I have tried calling them and they have not been helpful.

The hubby and I were on the Celebrity Infinity for B2B cruises through the Panama Canal (4-10-2012 and 4-25-2012) and were not asked for any proof of yellow fever vaccination. We also transited the Panama Canal in 2008 and again were not asked about vaccinations.

Archived