Oasis just picked up 22 refugees

How about those poor Cuban refugees a couple of years ago who tried to float to the US in a 56 Chevy pickup!! A desire for freedom makes you do desperate things! Good luck to them...imagine what they think of the Oasis!

I can guarantee you they wouldn't complain about the food in the MDR :D

Originally Posted by Esmerelda viewpost.gif

While it is nice that they were saved, they will probably be imprisoned then killed once returned to their country of origin. Many countries do this and it's so sad.

We should always count our blessings that we live in a country that gives us our freedom. Thank god to our military for allowing us to have that everyday.

<wife of a USM..Oorah..

:)

Thanks to you and your husband for your service and sacrifice for us.

DITTO!!! :)

I'm sorry you mistook my post as an assault on you. Far from it. I do; however, have a problem with our reaction to terrorism. As a frequent flyer, I have to deal with the TSA far too often and my experiences with them have shown it to be a knee jerk farce. My post reflects that, in that being perpetually scared of what terrorists might do only results in additional ineffectual measures that give a false sense of security.

Again, I'd much prefer to potentially save lives than to worry about whether or not the people are terrorists, especially when they're in a dinghy out in the ocean.

I agree. I am not a frequent flyer, and that is partly due to the farce that is TSA. They do NOT make me feel any safer.

If I have to fly somewhere, I think long and hard about how much do I really want to go to where I have to fly. I'm not scared of terrorists; I'm highly irritated by TSA.

I was on the Monarch it the Seas when we came upon 6 Cudan's in a sad excuse of a boat. The ship used the tide and wind to get the Cuban boat along side us. They brought them onboard. Security kept them in isolation while the medical staff checked them over. On these boat there is barely enough room for themselves let alone weapons, food, water or luggage. If there were room they would probably have more people. Why would terrorist subject themselves to many days adrift at sea hoping to be rescued by a cruise ship? The ship has to rescue any boat in destress per maritime laws. They contact the USCG right away, if the CG is near by the ship will remain there until the rescue ship arrives. If no CG rescue ships are near the cruise ship takes the people on board. In my case CG boat came along side and our ship transferred the Cubans to them. This was right before we returned to the US which happened to be the next day. This is called keeping your feet wet.

I can guarantee you they wouldn't complain about the food in the MDR :D

Quite possibly the funniest line here!

However, I'm quite certain the captain would not just invite those found floating around to board his vessel and enjoy a free buffet and some dancing. I'm thinking security was heavily involved. Also, the security dudes are not the happy hotel peeps you see that make your vacation enjoyable. Security is rarely seen and personally, I wouldn't want to mess with them.

I was also told any vessel that comes upon another vessel in trouble, legally has to stop, and aid if possible. They cannot leave till the coast guard tells them they can. I was once delayed over an hour because we came along a boat and debris in the water. No sign of anyone. Turned out there was a fire and the people were rescued earlier but it took that long for them to inform our captain he could leave.

All that being said, I really hope everyone is safe. I can't imagine being that desperate.

About 4 years ago we were sailing on the Freedom and everyone started to gather at one side of the ship mid afternoon, going over to see what was going on...there was a very small turquoise colored dingy floating not too far from the ship. We watched as the security team lowered down our main pilot type boat and off it sped! Guns drawn and all, kind of like something out of a movie! They didn't find anyone on the dingy but did say that it looked as if someone had been onboard very recently. I hope that they were rescued but given that we were at sea that day and had one more sea day to go I kind bet that wasn't the case. Really sad that some see this way of escape as the only option. I pray for them! :(

I was on the Monarch it the Seas when we came upon 6 Cudan's in a sad excuse of a boat. The ship used the tide and wind to get the Cuban boat along side us. They brought them onboard. Security kept them in isolation while the medical staff checked them over. On these boat there is barely enough room for themselves let alone weapons, food, water or luggage. If there were room they would probably have more people. Why would terrorist subject themselves to many days adrift at sea hoping to be rescued by a cruise ship? The ship has to rescue any boat in destress per maritime laws. They contact the USCG right away, if the CG is near by the ship will remain there until the rescue ship arrives. If no CG rescue ships are near the cruise ship takes the people on board. In my case CG boat came along side and our ship transferred the Cubans to them. This was right before we returned to the US which happened to be the next day. This is called keeping your feet wet.

I was on the Majesty of the Seas trailing a few hours behind the Monarch during that December rescue. I remember hearing people talk about it at dinner that night as they had seen details of the rescue on the internet.

I was on the Majesty of the Seas trailing a couple hours behind the Monarch during that December rescue. I remember hearing about the rescue at dinner as some of my tablemates had heard about it on the internet/social media.

While I am happy these people are being rescued, I feel it is just a matter of time before terrorists use this as a method to get on board a ship.

Reader

Very funny! I was just thinking the same thing and was going to say "Are they sure they are refugees??"

Anyway, I'll keep reading now....:)

Quite possibly the funniest line here!

However, I'm quite certain the captain would not just invite those found floating around to board his vessel and enjoy a free buffet and some dancing. I'm thinking security was heavily involved. Also, the security dudes are not the happy hotel peeps you see that make your vacation enjoyable. Security is rarely seen and personally, I wouldn't want to mess with them.

I was also told any vessel that comes upon another vessel in trouble, legally has to stop, and aid if possible. They cannot leave till the coast guard tells them they can. I was once delayed over an hour because we came along a boat and debris in the water. No sign of anyone. Turned out there was a fire and the people were rescued earlier but it took that long for them to inform our captain he could leave.

All that being said, I really hope everyone is safe. I can't imagine being that desperate.

Yeah I'm sure they'd be treated pretty much like any detained passengers as far as isolation is concerned, but at the same time they'd get food and medical treatment and everything else. Being on board the Allure would still be a thousand times better than floating around the ocean. Though they probably aren't looking forward to the eventual return to their home country, which is all but guaranteed.

We had a resuce at sea a few years ago. Someone on a fishing boat had a serious medical emergency that required immediate attention. It took about an hour and a half for them to get the man on board. A few crew members told me they have very strict security protocol when responding to these situations.

I for one highly doubt terrorists could use this kind of trick. It is VERY difficult to be in just the right spot in the ocean to run into a given ship, especially as there'd be no way to get internet to track ship while you're bobbing about in a small boat.

Besides, what are you going to do? The day we refuse to pick up people who are lost at sea is the day the terrorists win.

Besides even in our worse year ever of terrorism twice as many people drowned as were killed by terrorists.

Maybe this is a stupid thought but isn't there a maximum number of passengers allowed on a ship? Won't the extra people make it go over? Unless the ship isn't sailing at full capacity of course.

Even if the ship was sailing at full capacity, I'm sure the ship could take on about 10-15% more and still not sink. :) Did you mean with respect to the law or the physical capacity limit?

where do they put these 22 people. In the Brig? Where do they sleep and eat?

This isnt a military vessel this is a cruise ship that already has small staff quarters.

While I am happy these people are being rescued, I feel it is just a matter of time before terrorists use this as a method to get on board a ship.

Reader

I highly doubt that terrorists would use this risky method to take over a large cruise ship. If it's for another boat or even a much smaller ship then I can see that as a possibility.

As one other poster mentioned, the security personnel are rarely seen and they keep it a safe event for the cruisers. I'm sure there is an isolated secured area on the lower decks to accommodate those individuals. The captain and his staff are well protected up on the bridge. They would have radioed for help if anything would have happened as they oversee everything.

I assume the rescuees get the same food that the crew eat and not from the MDR. :)

Reader

And they will fail dismally.

Cruise ship sends one of their tenders. Do you think that the Captain is going to allow the tender to come back to the ship and let terrorists on board?

The terrorists might succeed in hijacking the tender, but, that is about it.

Come on now. The perpetual fear of "terrorists" (BOO! :eek:) is a bit silly, and very detrimental to our society as a whole. I'd much rather save the lives of people on a ship in distress, than to worry about the potential that one of the people on board that ship is a terrorist or have to deal with the absurd 'security' measure that arise from such fear.

Besides, I'm sure every one of them would have their bags x-rayed to make sure they're not bringing alcohol on board, so any weapons would show up there too.

Your reply sounds like someone who lives far from NY, NJ, PA, Washington areas. Living in these areas we are programed to be vigilant for anything. Suspocious packages, suspicious acts people make. we must always remember

Your reply sounds like someone who lives far from NY, NJ, PA, Washington areas. Living in these areas we are programed to be vigilant for anything. Suspocious packages, suspicious acts people make. we must always remember

Yes, we must always remember what happened ... but living in fear and suspicion = terrorists win and I refuse to give them that advantage.

I for one highly doubt terrorists could use this kind of trick. It is VERY difficult to be in just the right spot in the ocean to run into a given ship, especially as there'd be no way to get internet to track ship while you're bobbing about in a small boat.

Besides, what are you going to do? The day we refuse to pick up people who are lost at sea is the day the terrorists win.

Besides even in our worse year ever of terrorism twice as many people drowned as were killed by terrorists.

I highly doubt that terrorists would use this risky method to take over a large cruise ship. If it's for another boat or even a much smaller ship then I can see that as a possibility.

As one other poster mentioned, the security personnel are rarely seen and they keep it a safe event for the cruisers. I'm sure there is an isolated secured area on the lower decks to accommodate those individuals. The captain and his staff are well protected up on the bridge. They would have radioed for help if anything would have happened as they oversee everything.

I assume the rescuees get the same food that the crew eat and not from the MDR. :)

And they will fail dismally.

Cruise ship sends one of their tenders. Do you think that the Captain is going to allow the tender to come back to the ship and let terrorists on board?

The terrorists might succeed in hijacking the tender, but, that is about it.

I'm not losing any sleep thinking about terrorists but I don't believe anyone suspected that they would fly airliners into buildings or that pirates in speed boats could capture freighters and oil tankers. For anyone to be that dismissive of the poster's point is just foolish or clueless. Ship security isn't exactly special forces.:rolleyes:

Archived