Ok lol I'll try again...is there a deck on the RUBY I can run around?

imfun888

Yes, on the top level deck around the minigolf there is a running track.

It has a measurement in terms of laps per mile...or some units anyway.

I've seen people walking there...and people running.

And of course the resulting arguments...

I am not sure what response you are looking for that you felt you did not get on your other thread. What did you not understand? Please be specific.

As several posters stated, there is the Promenade deck for walking and jogging. The Promenade deck combined with the Upper Promenade entirely circles the ship. You must go up a flight of stairs whilst walking/jogging to get to the Upper Promenade, but that is simple enough to do. Most people are walking on the Promenade, but I have seen joggers often, especially in the morning, and jogging is certainly allowed on that deck. Occasionally you will see signs posted of no jogging on the Promenade before 8:00 a.m., but I have only seen this on some ships and some sailings. I believe it is around 3 laps on the Promenade equal a mile.

There is also the jogging track that goes around the putting green on Deck 19 aft. I believe that is about 16 laps equal a mile.

Look at the Ruby deck plans and you will see the jogging track on Deck 19 and the Promenade/Upper Promenade on Decks 7 and 8.

Said is was individual from ship to ship...was just trying to confirm. I'll be running at around 5:30am if anyone wants to join me.:)

Perfect time to wake up the people in the OV rooms at the front of the ship on Emerald deck. :rolleyes:

Perfect time to wake up the people in the OV rooms at the front of the ship on Emerald deck. :rolleyes:

This what I was talking about when I stated in my post that sometimes there is a sign about no jogging/walking before 8:00 a.m. I have seen the sign at the base of the stairs leading to the upper promenade deck and the stairwell is chained off so you cannot go up there. The upper promenade goes right by the Emerald deck forward cabins. However, I have not seen the lower promenade restricted from walking/jogging at any hour because lower promenade circles public rooms.

I will not run if the sign says not too. Just trying to not gain weight, don't want to wake people;)
Very easy not to gain weight, even without running. :) I've never gained weight on a cruise nor have most of the people I know. Just don't leave your common sense at the gangway when boarding. On my recent Star cruise, I lost 3-lb. Not unusual for me on a cruise.

This what I was talking about when I stated in my post that sometimes there is a sign about no jogging/walking before 8:00 a.m. I have seen the sign at the base of the stairs leading to the upper promenade deck and the stairwell is chained off so you cannot go up there. The upper promenade goes right by the Emerald deck forward cabins. However, I have not seen the lower promenade restricted from walking/jogging at any hour because lower promenade circles public rooms.

Yeah... only the Sun-class ships have (or should have) early morning restrictions on Promenade deck joggers because the Emerald deck OV cabins are below the Promenade.

I usually lose weight too, and I don't watch what I eat on vacation. I am not a runner, but all the swimming, trodding through sand, walking for miles in endless shopping corridores, dancing in the lounges/discos gets me more exercise than I get at my gym at home.

On a cruise? You will have do run at least 10 miles daily on the Promenade deck!
I tend to agree. I always gain weight on a cruise. I recently returned from 21 days on the Sapphire (Mexico, Hawaii) with lots of sea days. I gained three pounds. On sea days, I ran 5 to 7 miles (60-90 minutes). I also spent at least an hour in the gym (yoga, weightlifting). Never took an elevator. But, I never passed the International cafe without grabbing a couple of cookies. I had a capuchino every morning. We always ate in the MDR for lunch and dinner. I never passed up dessert. Had an omelet for breakfast every morning. OTOH, we are vegetarians, so I never got to indulge in lobster, beef wellington, or any of the other meat/seafood dishes. One healthy thing I did do this cruise was minimize the bread rolls at lunch/dinner.

Yeah... only the Sun-class ships have (or should have) early morning restrictions on Promenade deck joggers because the Emerald deck OV cabins are below the Promenade.

OP was referring to the Ruby. Promenade deck is 7, Emerald is 8. The promenade deck ends near the bow and you go up a set of stairs to deck 8 to go around the front of the ship and then back down to deck 7. On the Emerald deck are 10 OV cabins overlooking the promenade deck so you would have runners/joggers right outside your window.

I responded in your other post about running on the Emerald, which is a sister ship to the Ruby. Like others have stated, running isn't specifically prohibited on the Promenade deck, but since Princess does tend to have a higher percentage of elderly passengers, it can become an issue of feeling like you are about to run people over. The sports deck isn't ideal, but it's doable for a few miles. I'm a distance runner, but due to the heat and humidity in the Caribbean I could only manage two or three miles up there without feeling like I was dying. On another note, I do know that people have gone on longer runs on Princess Cays, we were planning on a five mile run there but opted out and just decided on a more relaxing beach day because we didn't know there were lockers where we could store swimsuits, etc. for after our run. So that's always an option. I don't think I would plan a run in any other port, though.

I tend to agree. I always gain weight on a cruise. I recently returned from 21 days on the Sapphire (Mexico, Hawaii) with lots of sea days. I gained three pounds. On sea days, I ran 5 to 7 miles (60-90 minutes). I also spent at least an hour in the gym (yoga, weightlifting). Never took an elevator. But, I never passed the International cafe without grabbing a couple of cookies. I had a capuchino every morning. We always ate in the MDR for lunch and dinner. I never passed up dessert. Had an omelet for breakfast every morning. OTOH, we are vegetarians, so I never got to indulge in lobster, beef wellington, or any of the other meat/seafood dishes. One healthy thing I did do this cruise was minimize the bread rolls at lunch/dinner.

Yes, that is my experience too. Usually gain 3-5 pounds even with using the treadmill and brisk walking on Promenade daily. The tip on the bread rolls at lunch/dinner is a very good one. It is so easy to eat a few bread rolls and breadsticks while waiting for the first course! Those calories can really add up. The good news is that with two weeks of dieting after the cruise I can usually get the weight off.

The good news is that with two weeks of dieting after the cruise I can usually get the weight off.
Same here! That is why I don't worry about it. Actually, I went into pre-cruise training during January and February for my March cruise. I took 5 pounds off, so I had pound credits in the bank.

Same here! That is why I don't worry about it. Actually, I went into pre-cruise training during January and February for my March cruise. I took 5 pounds off, so I had pound credits in the bank.

That is definitely the best way to go, then you can enjoy the indulgence guilt free! Thanks for the suggestion. I am starting my "pre-cruise training" today for my May cruise.

Archived