Eurodam and Allure

Rinderoo

I have sailed out of FLL twice with the Allure, last year on the NA and this year on the Westerdam, then a couple of years ago with the Oasis and in person while she looks big she just does not appear that big... or at least to me :D But the pictures really do show the size comparison :eek:

Standing on our Verandah docked at Crown Bay in St Thomas staring at the Oasis docked adjacent us was an amazing site. We were on the Eurodam, which as mentioned is not a small ship but the Oasis dwarfed us. We choose the smaller cruising with HAL and have no interest in trying a large ship like these.

Someone shared a photo of the Allure and one of the smaller HAL ships. Here's a photo of the Eurodam and the Allure in St Thomas today.

I think the picture you are referring to is the Oasis of the Seas and the Maasdam docked at Crown Bay in St. Thomas. I believe this picture was taken by Jeff Farschman in 2010.

1313178726_MaasdamOasisoftheSeas.jpg.8233ccde5341c929fdba14c8428d80ad.jpg

We were on the Allure twice last year, and on our November Eastern Caribbean cruise we were in all 3 ports with other ships, and we towered over them all! The Allure and Oasis are just two big ships!

I think the picture you are referring to is the Oasis of the Seas and the Maasdam docked at Crown Bay in St. Thomas. I believe this picture was taken by Jeff Farschman in 2010.

LOL! The Maasdam looks like a tender for the Oasis. I know, to each his own, but I just have trouble seeing the attraction to those behemoths. But, they are filling 'em up and building more, so I guess someone likes them.

We were on Eurodam docked next to Allure and it was an amazing difference.

I remember being onboard and watching the long long long line getting back on the Allure. There was a modular builing between the two ships (much like what schools use when they are overcrowded) that the Allure passengers went through. I think it might have been several x-ray scanners to speed the returning passengers' screening. I took pictures of it and the long line that stretched out of the gated security entrance and told my husband to show me that if I ever said I wanted to go on that ship.

I agree with above poster--give me the rowboat!

LOL! The Maasdam looks like a tender for the Oasis. I know, to each his own, but I just have trouble seeing the attraction to those behemoths. But, they are filling 'em up and building more, so I guess someone likes them.

Tim, I don't believe there are any more planned, and I can't see them as the future of cruising. I think there are many ports they can even fit (at this point each is on a 2-week cycle covering the same 6 ports week after week for the forseeable future). Actually, the "rowboat" is still too big for me, but I'm afraid I'll eventually have to adapt to that.

No offense meant but that last picture of her "backside"... well that view just always reminds me of the Thanksgiving turkey waiting to be stuffed.

Love it!

Roy

Standing on our Verandah docked at Crown Bay in St Thomas staring at the Oasis docked adjacent us was an amazing site. We were on the Eurodam, which as mentioned is not a small ship but the Oasis dwarfed us. We choose the smaller cruising with HAL and have no interest in trying a large ship like these.

We had the same experience sitting on the Eurodam in St Thomas. We looked so small it was crazy. I would love to see the inside of one of them, but never want to sail them. Way too many people for us. We love our Halboats as my DH calls them.

These monster ships are almost twice the size of the navys largest aircraft carrier. Watching people scurrying around and on them reminds me of an ant farm. Nothing nautical about the ship except it has a bow and floats...

:eek: The question to me is not who would go on such a monstrosity, but why?

We were docked next to the Allure last year. We were on the N.A. The Allure towered over us. Much too big for our taste.

Some friends have sailed on it, and agreed, there are too many people everywhere you go.

I've sailed on both and loved them both. The Allure has great entertainment--a lot of variety and all of it good; a lot of dining choices too and the ship was unique (well, with the Oasis of the Seas) in having a large variety of areas that give a totally different vibe--they are appropriately called neighborhoods. Crowds at the elevators were a major problem but its a big ship and crowds elsewhere were not a problem. Eurodam wins for service of staff, style, and the little extras; when someone recently asked me for a recommendation for a cruise ship (after ruling out the Queen Mary 2), I didn't think twice and recommended Eurodam.

Not Eurodam vs Allure, but Nieuw Amsterdam vs Allure.

We were on NA and docked next to Allure of the Seas at Falmouth. I took this picture from inside my cabin looking out through the balcony door.

IMG_2409.jpg

Both ships docked next to each other.

IMG_2432-1.jpg

Here, the people on Allure waving goodbye to us, looking at my deck chairs and probably wondering if they were on the wrong ship :p Just kidding! I think one day I will try Allure/Oasis when my cruise vacation desire is what they offer onboard.

IMG_2456.jpg

We were on Eurodam docked next to Allure and it was an amazing difference.

I remember being onboard and watching the long long long line getting back on the Allure. There was a modular builing between the two ships (much like what schools use when they are overcrowded) that the Allure passengers went through. I think it might have been several x-ray scanners to speed the returning passengers' screening. I took pictures of it and the long line that stretched out of the gated security entrance and told my husband to show me that if I ever said I wanted to go on that ship.

I agree with above poster--give me the rowboat!

I was watching them go through that modular building also, and thinking the same thing.

We were leaving the hotel in FLL to go to the Eurodam as some Oasis passengers were checking in after their cruise. They said that the experience was like being in a huge building - no sense that they were on a ship. At the M&G, the captain said that on sailaway, the Oasis was supposed to leave behind us, but they slipped out in front, and left the Eurodam floundering because the water was so churned up we couldn't maneuver. He was a bit miffed!

Archived