Announcements in Rooms

tserface

We just got back from our recent Silhouette cruise. One thing we really missed was being able to hear the announcements and Captain's talk in our room. The Captain was particular fun so we hated missing his talks if we happened to be in our room. I know a lot of people think this is a great benefit and, frankly, we may not want to hear a lot of "stuff" in our room either, but we would have liked to hear the Captain's talks without standing in the hallway.

We suggested on our survey form that they put the announcements on the TV on the bridge cam channel. That way people could turn them on if they want to hear them or have that on in their room any time they are interested.

What do people think of that idea?

BTW, the Captain on the Silhouette is as funny and interesting as any of the paid entertainment. What a treasure he is for Celebrity and the Silhouette.

Tom

I don't remember which cruise line I was on but I recall being able to turn the TV to a certain channel to hear the announcements. I wish Celebrity could do this as well. I've been caught in the hall in my "jammies" before trying to hear the announcement!

One of many great things about Celebrity is NOT being able to hear any announcements in the cabin. The Captain usually makes his daily announcements around noon, so if you want to hear it, be in a public space to listen.

One of many great things about Celebrity is NOT being able to hear any announcements in the cabin. The Captain usually makes his daily announcements around noon, so if you want to hear it, be in a public space to listen.

Ditto

Or, you could not have the TV on that channel and allow those who want to hear them in their room the privilege. What could it hurt?

Tom

I agree that it would be nice to have it broadcast on the TV.

I am one who loves the lack of announcements on Celebrity...however, I NEVER wear a watch onboard, and there have been a few occasions that I have been caught in the cabin when the Captain gives his noon announcement...and have had to run to open the cabin door...in "less than jammies" !!:o to enjoy it.

Being used to hearing announcements on a specific (not every) TV channel on both Princess and NCL, we found the lack of such a feature particularly annoying when we took our first Celebrity cruise in November. We typically use our balcony a lot, so our only clue of an announcement would be the distant sound of the initial bell (when we heard it). By the time we made it to the hall, we would hear only the closing, generic pleasantries and nothing of the content.

What possible harm could come from having the bridge cam channel, for instance, carry the announcements? By definition, it would be heard only by those who choose to do so. It would go a long way toward improving an area where Celebrity is weak: communication. They do a lot of things very well (I would even say outstanding), but that is not one of them.

Having sailed on one NCL Free-style cruise and being bombarded with a constant barrage of announcements about sales, bingo, art auctions, etc., etc., and not being able to turn down the PA system in the cabin, I welcome the quiet in my Celebrity cabin.

I don't want any thing coming through into my privacy. I know the announcements are at noon and if I care enough to hear them, I can go to a public area.

The TV channel is a great idea. Those who don't want to leave the cabin can listen and those who don't care don't have to turn on the TV.

It would also be nice if they could tape the announcements like they do the CD's usual nonsense. ;) JMHO

Ditto Ditto Ditto. One thing about Carnival that really irritated me is the looong announcements from the cruise director every morning around 8 or 9.

I'm sorry but I am on vacation and would like the option to sleep in. I appreciate Celebrity not piping the announcements into the cabin. I did a two-tank dive the day before followed by a late night of karaoke so I need sleep!

If anything, on our recent Solstice cruise I found the cruise director's announcement in the morning so loud I could hear it anyway. Want to know what's going on? Read the daily paper. It's all there.

Or, you could not have the TV on that channel and allow those who want to hear them in their room the privilege. What could it hurt?

Tom

I think its a great idea! There were several days last year when I stood in my doorway to hear the announcement....because as much as anything else the capt on the Silhouette was VERY funny and I didn't want to miss a good laugh...having an option of the audio being on the bridge cam is a win win for everyone...hope X is listening!!!:)

I think some of those posting here being so adamantly opposed are NOT reading the idea presented... I don't want loud announcements over a PA system in my room either but if I want to hear the Captains talk a TV station I could turn to to hear it would be great....a little flexibility here is NOT a bad thing....

On our last cruise, there was an announcement that we half-heard and weren't paying a lot of attention to. We suddenly realized that some of what was being said pertained to something we had interest in, and we had to make a mad dash to the door to try to hear the rest. We missed most of it. I've written on comment cards that I'd like to be able to hear the announcements in our cabin, or even on the veranda.

One problem with having the announcements on the TV is that if you don't have the TV on and tuned to that channel, just in case there's an announcement that you might want to hear, you'll miss it, or at least the first part. Leaving the TV on constantly just to function as a speaker is a tremendous waste of energy, not to mention shortening the life of the TV. If the announcement is taped and is replayed in a loop on the bridge cam channel, that would solve that problem.

I sail frequently on the tiny ships of Blount Small Ship Adventures. Each of their cabins has a simple toggle switch on the wall. Turn it on and you hear all the announcements in the room, or turn it off and get peace and quiet. The Captain does have an override for emergency announcements even if it's turned off.

Probably way too complicated to retrofit existing ships but I'd love to see it on new builds. For existing ships, having it on the TV bridge channel would be very welcome.

Roy

I agree that it would be nice to have it broadcast on the TV.

I am one who loves the lack of announcements on Celebrity...however, I NEVER wear a watch onboard, and there have been a few occasions that I have been caught in the cabin when the Captain gives his noon announcement...and have had to run to open the cabin door...in "less than jammies" !!:o to enjoy it.

that was you? :D

I found myself a few times doing exactly the same thing.....

Would love to hear it on TV in my cabin too

I sail frequently on the tiny ships of Blount Small Ship Adventures. Each of their cabins has a simple toggle switch on the wall. Turn it on and you hear all the announcements in the room, or turn it off and get peace and quiet. The Captain does have an override for emergency announcements even if it's turned off.

Probably way too complicated to retrofit existing ships but I'd love to see it on new builds. For existing ships, having it on the TV bridge channel would be very welcome.

Add a volume control, and you have my suggestion. And you have a better way of piping in emergency announcements, which someone could miss if they don't happen to have the TV on. The "audio over the bridge cam channel" idea would be a good stopgap measure that would be fairly easy to implement. To install speakers would require trunk wiring through the ceilings and dropping feeders down the walls, though there might be a wireless system they could easily install.

Tom

Tom, you use to be able to get the Captain's Noon updates on TV on the station that shows the heli-pad, view from the bridge. I was disappointed when I turned on the TV and the announcement didn't come through.

Archived