Announcements in Rooms

tserface

Want to know what's going on? Read the daily paper. It's all there.

That was not the case on our Century cruise last year. We both read the paper every day, and we were learning of events only by word of mouth from staff. Plus, the paper can not anticipate of-the-moment announcements, such as the tender issues and schedule changes which occurred frequently on our cruise.

As mentioned above, the wall switch idea would probably be impractical for existing ships, but adding announcements to a TV channel should be simple.

Add a volume control, and you have my suggestion. And you have a better way of piping in emergency announcements, which someone could miss if they don't happen to have the TV on.

There is a separate speaker system inside every stateroom what will broadcast any emergency announcement. There is no way to turn it off, and that is a good thing. This is a safety requirement of all passenger carrying vessels.

There is a separate speaker system inside every stateroom what will broadcast any emergency announcement. There is no way to turn it off, and that is a good thing. This is a safety requirement of all passenger carrying vessels.

Ahh, good. I was beginning to worry that we would not hear important announcements. On Princess only the captains announcements regarding missing ports, inclement weather or emergencies are piped through to the rooms.

We just got back from our recent Silhouette cruise. One thing we really missed was being able to hear the announcements and Captain's talk in our room. The Captain was particular fun so we hated missing his talks if we happened to be in our room. I know a lot of people think this is a great benefit and, frankly, we may not want to hear a lot of "stuff" in our room either, but we would have liked to hear the Captain's talks without standing in the hallway.

We suggested on our survey form that they put the announcements on the TV on the bridge cam channel. That way people could turn them on if they want to hear them or have that on in their room any time they are interested.

What do people think of that idea?

BTW, the Captain on the Silhouette is as funny and interesting as any of the paid entertainment. What a treasure he is for Celebrity and the Silhouette.

Tom

I didn't know that! I definitely don't like many announcements, but sometimes I do like to hear some. As others have mentioned, NCL had the option to switch their TV on to a specific channel to hear the captain's announcements. That option would be nice.

One thing we missed last year on Silhouette, havinf sailed on P&O, were the messages from the Captain as we left a port. It always seemed to add to the atmosphere when the Captain told us a little about our departure time etc and shared just a few comments / jokes. It added to the 'occasion' as we left. Even at the initial sailaway from Rome nothing was said ----- seemed odd.

I have to add that it was good on Celebrity not to be woken at 6.50am when everyone else wanted to leave the ship for an excursion if we had decided to relax and stay on board !

I think having a channel that could link to the Bridge if we wanted to would be a fantastic idea.

I would not want to hear any announcements in my cabin unless they were of an emergency nature. That would be like being in my hotel and the management making announcements in my room.

I agree 100%. If I want to hear the announcements, I can choose to go listen to them. I do not want them in my room.

Depending where our room was located, sometimes we have been able to hear the noon announcements on our balcony. Hanging out in the hallway is not my ideal location for hearing the captain.

Having a dedicated tv channel for this would be great. I will write it in on my comment card too.

I agree 100%. If I want to hear the announcements, I can choose to go listen to them. I do not want them in my room.

Having the option to hear announcements on a particular TV channel would have no impact on anyone who didn't want to hear them because they don't need to switch their TV on. While I certainly don't want to be bombarded with announcements I would like the opportunity to hear the mid day one in the cabin if I wanted to.

Sheila

We suggested on our survey form that they put the announcements on the TV on the bridge cam channel. That way people could turn them on if they want to hear them or have that on in their room any time they are interested.

What do people think of that idea?...

Celebrity used to do this. A couple cruises ago I called down to customer relations to ask about this and the staff on board thought it was still being done, but it was not. I'd like to see this too as there are times we do want to hear the announcements and times we don't. Having it on a specific tv channel makes so much sense. I don't know why they discontinued this.

Celebrity used to do this. A couple cruises ago I called down to customer relations to ask about this and the staff on board thought it was still being done, but it was not. I'd like to see this too as there are times we do want to hear the announcements and times we don't. Having it on a specific tv channel makes so much sense. I don't know why they discontinued this.

Thank you Larry! I thought I was losing my mind reading these replies, 'cause I could have sworn I remember them doing this. Wonder why they stopped.

Mike

Archived