Certified Royal Caribbean Travel planner

Hi

I'm about to book my first ever cruise! I've done a lot of research. Should I book online, or use their certified vacation planner? Any benefits to either? I like to be in control of my reservations.

Thanks

Megan

Hi

I'm about to book my first ever cruise! I've done a lot of research. Should I book online, or use their certified vacation planner? Any benefits to either? I like to be in control of my reservations.

Thanks

Megan

I don't think it matters as long as you are booking directly with Royal. I like to be in control of my reservation too. For example, I just snagged a Junior Suite for my upcoming May 10th cruise for only $140 more than I paid for our D2 balcony cabin.

Hmm Okay. I'm leery of using some online cruise sites to book, although I hear you can save some money. I think I'll book online. I mean the certified planner I talked to was nice, but I don't know. Will I receive notices and such when I can book shows or shore excursions if I just book online on the RCI website?

If you book yourself on-line you have a little more control over your reservation than if you use an RCI planner. For example, if you book the cruise yourself you will have the option to change your cabin and category as you please. If you use a planner you cannot make your own changes, you have to call and ask them to make the change. It is not a big deal in the long run but it is one example. One time I was checking on a cruise that I had booked and there were some significant price drops. I found a new cabin that I wanted and went into my reservation and made the changes without having to call and talk to anyone.

Hmm Okay. I'm leery of using some online cruise sites to book, although I hear you can save some money. I think I'll book online. I mean the certified planner I talked to was nice, but I don't know. Will I receive notices and such when I can book shows or shore excursions if I just book online on the RCI website?

Yes. When you login and go to your reservation,there is a pre-cruise planner section that will allow to book these items.

Hi

Thanks

Megan

One advantage to calling RCI is cabin selection. Not all their cabins are listed as available on their website and TA's usually have only a certain block of cabins available to them. I've called direct and had a better selection of cabins to choose from.

One advantage to calling RCI is cabin selection. Not all their cabins are listed as available on their website and TA's usually have only a certain block of cabins available to them. I've called direct and had a better selection of cabins to choose from.

This is true. There are other sites that show all cabins but we can't name them here. :mad:

I have done it every which way. I, like you, like to be in control of all aspects of my booking. But I have found that my love of the 10% OBC that my TA gives me surpasses my need to be in control… And by the way I do use an agency that has an online presence but simply call the 800 number so that I can speak with the same agent who knows me each time I need to make a change or inquire about something.

All you need is to do your homework. I would start by calling everyone and finding the best deal. (It is NOT always with the largest companies.) Then research them to see that they're reputable. I have even called RC and they will tell you if an agency is in good standing with them. Though I do tend to put more weight on the opinions of other cruisers.

I have done it every which way. I, like you, like to be in control of all aspects of my booking. But I have found that my love of the 10% OBC that my TA gives me surpasses my need to be in control… And by the way I do use an agency that has an online presence but simply call the 800 number so that I can speak with the same agent who knows me each time I need to make a change or inquire about something.

All you need is to do your homework. I would start by calling everyone and finding the best deal. (It is NOT always with the largest companies.) Then research them to see that they're reputable. I have even called RC and they will tell you if an agency is in good standing with them. Though I do tend to put more weight on the opinions of other cruisers.

Ok, seriously..how do you do your homework to find out if a TA is reputable, if you cant mention their names on the boards? I know it sounds like a stupid question but, I very recently had a bad experience by just making a inquiry! I have cruised 8x on RCCL and two other lines and each time I end up just going back to the Cruise Line because I dont know who to trust!

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and booked online through RCI.

Megan ~ Congratulations on your booking. Your signature looks great. Lots of help here on CC if you have any questions :) happy for you!!

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise.

I have flighty fingers. ;) So I am always afraid I will do something really stupid when doing searches etc. (You know -hit enter if you want to really delete this forever and ever, although having no desire to do so - I will hit enter. :o) That is the only reason I use the Vacation Planner.

I do all my research at the online RCCL site (including mock bookings), then call to confirm cabin and make any payments. Once tried to make a partial online payment and the system charged the whole cruise fare to my bank card instead of the $500 I requested! RCCL agent said, "do not make online payments, always call us" so now we do.

Web site is sometimes "querky". Now I do all our own arrangements and then later transfer to a TA (Please read all advertisements on the Cruise Critic Home page:D) to get those valuable OBC and other perks for booking.

We did right from RCCL. So anything we need to change or add in pre planning, we can. I like controlling my own reservations. As I book our hotel and airport shuttles/taxis separately from RCCL. I also can care less if I get an OBC. With due dilgence we did get the balcony cabin we wanted. I love my own "thrill of the hunt". I can use a TA but I don't

Archived