What is "smart casual" for an 8yo boy?

busyfamily94010

We're planning on going to Alaska out of San Francisco in July but I'm starting to have my doubts after reading the boards.

My son has sensory issues and wears soccer/basketball uniforms and fleece pretty exclusively. He doesn't exactly stick out - I've never seen any of his friends in pants before - boys his age just don't wear them.

Our stylish land-based resorts have all been tropical where moving from a bathing suit into actual shorts and shirt has been dressed enough.

We won't likely be at a table with others - we're traveling in a group of 16.

I'm sure I can get him to eat with the kids on formal nights but I don't want him away from the family all 10 days....

What have other parents done? Can a long-sleeve shirt + dark warm-up pants do? Or should we just cancel (which is our inclination right now...)

I think the routine of a cruise would be a perfect fit for him but I don't know what to do about the clothes....

Thx.

Alaska is "more relaxed" compared to other cruises. Expectations for kids is less than adults.

I wouldn't cancel, especially over your son's clothes. I am sure there are some "nicer" work out clothes (such as nylon ones) as opposed to just gray fleece sweats that he could probably wear and would fit in fine. Don't stress over this. They are not going to deny entry into the dining room on non-formal nights unless he is in shorts or wearing frayed jeans. Again, kids have far more flexibility compared to adults.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Typically on an AK cruise you will see jeans and dockers. My son wears dockers to school everyday for uniform and finds them much more comfy than jeans. You can get inexpensive dockers style at target and the fabric is soft.

If the dark warm up pants you speak of look more like pants than athletic wear - no one would probably notice. With a long sleeve shirt or polo he'll fit right in. If they have a light colored stripe up the leg and elastic at the hem they would be more noticeable but still - he's a kid!

Actually fleece pants sounds like a good idea to me - I'm always cold in restaurants & don't expect the MDR will be much different.

Go and enjoy - Alaska should not be missed over this!

Just have him stand in the middle of the group when you walk into the dining room. With that many people who would notice what your son was wearing. If it really bothers you, buy him some dockers and tell him he has to dress for dinner. I would never miss out on Alaska (or any cruise) due to my childs clothing. I hope you go to Alaska and have an amazing time.

For our Alaska cruise, my grandson - 10 yrs in 2010 - (also with sensory issues) wore something like Dockers and a knit shirt with a collar for smart casual. For formal nights, wore black Dockers and a long sleeve shirt with a tie. No coat. During the day he wears either nylon shorts or long pants with drawstring waist and stripes down the sides. He doesn't do buttons or zippers so we stay with the gym/warm up type pants/shorts during the day. Wears them for school too.

We're planning on going to Alaska out of San Francisco in July but I'm starting to have my doubts after reading the boards.

My son has sensory issues and wears soccer/basketball uniforms and fleece pretty exclusively. He doesn't exactly stick out - I've never seen any of his friends in pants before - boys his age just don't wear them.

Our stylish land-based resorts have all been tropical where moving from a bathing suit into actual shorts and shirt has been dressed enough.

We won't likely be at a table with others - we're traveling in a group of 16.

I'm sure I can get him to eat with the kids on formal nights but I don't want him away from the family all 10 days....

What have other parents done? Can a long-sleeve shirt + dark warm-up pants do? Or should we just cancel (which is our inclination right now...)

I think the routine of a cruise would be a perfect fit for him but I don't know what to do about the clothes....

Thx.

Our son who started cruising with us at 6 years old really never got dressed up at all. The best he ever did was a tie (clip on) and dark pants with Black Vans. At 25 he still does not get dressed up on cruises, no tie just dockers and a short sleeve sport shirt.

Go and have fun. Also have your travel agent, or if you booked yourself, contact the cruise line and make them aware. We have seen everything in the dinning room. They will not deny you going into the dinning room because your son is not wearing dockers or the like. ENJOY and let him Enjoy with you :D

I definitely wouldn't cancel the cruise over that... pants and long sleeve shirt are all he needs, he is just a kid.... I've never once seen a kid come into the dining and thought to myself "he's under dressed".

Definitely don't cancel your trip. You will love Alaska and so will your son. Princess is great at accommodating special needs, they will want your son to be comfortable. It might be fun to look for "dressy" fleece options. I know there are a lot of style options in vey soft fabrics, at least in woman's fashions. I have a fleece blazer that I can't live without!

Have a wonderful voyage.

Archived